What are your plans for your placenta? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 38 Old 01-08-2007, 12:54 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I would hear things about the placenta,but it never dawned on me until this time I met with a midwife and she said that they would give me recipe's for the placenta. No one ever told me that at a hospital. I wonder if you asked for your placenta at a hospital if they would give it to you? Anyway, I plan on a homebirth this time and will keep my placenta for the future, I heard it was excellent to take to get women through menapause.

I think my mom won't have a problem preparing these recipes. She is funny at my twins birth she was touching and looking at the placenta when the doc stepped out. Saying this is so cool.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 38 Old 01-09-2007, 05:58 AM

I will not be able to have my placenta I tried to weasle it from the drs after Raeden's birth but they claimed it was hazardus material and threw it away.
#33 of 38 Old 01-09-2007, 06:55 PM - Thread Starter

I am pretty sure if you push it they have to give it to you. It is part of your body. I would ak the hospital too.

Single mama to Alex(13), Maddy(12), Sam(8), Violet(6), and Ruby(3). fly-by-nursing1.gif
#34 of 38 Old 01-10-2007, 03:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotusmamma View Post
There is nothing that I can think of that excludes lotus birth as an option. You can have a lotus birth if you are having hospital birth, homebirth, twins, c/section - any kind of birth. You can certainly take a bite while the placenta is still attached. You can do placenta prints while the placenta is still attached. You can dry and encapsulate the placenta and by the time the cord separates the placenta is mostly dried out.
I plan on having a lotus birth and then continuing to dry and encapsulate it. If I hemmorhage (again) I will eat a chunk (again), but it will still be attached, which I learned is fine. I feel I can reap the most benefits this way. Since I hemmorhaged and fainted last time, I will probably eat a chunk as soon as it comes out, regardless, but we will still keep it a lotus birth. With the last birth, the cord snapped as I fainted We had planned a lotus birth. As for drying and encapsulating, I can't see myself doing this immediately postpartum, but once the cord detaches, I think I'll be more able by then.

Creating Art. Living life on Guam. Sharing my Journey.

#35 of 38 Old 01-10-2007, 12:35 PM

does it have to be cooked, or is it more effective eaten raw? i would think that it would lose alot of it's properites being made into a powder and put in a capsule.

i hadn't really thought much about what i was going to do with mine. my previous ones were just thrown out. :

i have heard something about celebrities and other people in high society having "placenta parties" in which they have the placenta made in to some sort of pate and serve it to the guests. an interesting concept. of course, i wouldn't be able to tell any of my guests what it was if i wanted them to eat it... man, i can see the looks on their faces now if i let them eat it and then told them afterward!
#36 of 38 Old 01-11-2007, 11:15 PM

didn't mean to kill the thread
#37 of 38 Old 01-12-2007, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeannie81 View Post
does it have to be cooked, or is it more effective eaten raw? i would think that it would lose alot of it's properites being made into a powder and put in a capsule.

i hadn't really thought much about what i was going to do with mine. my previous ones were just thrown out. :

i have heard something about celebrities and other people in high society having "placenta parties" in which they have the placenta made in to some sort of pate and serve it to the guests. an interesting concept. of course, i wouldn't be able to tell any of my guests what it was if i wanted them to eat it... man, i can see the looks on their faces now if i let them eat it and then told them afterward!
I would never allow others to eat my placenta (well, if my partner wanted to, that is different, he helped make the baby so it is part of him, too). It is a spiritual thing for me.

You didn't kill the thread!

Yes, eating it raw is where you are going to get the most nutrients out of the placenta. However, I want to take it everyday for quite a while pp. I guess you could freeze it and then thaw parts of it everyday and it would preserve it that way, but I would rather encapsulate it for the "long haul." Which ever way(s) that people come up with, at least you are gaining something rather than nothing from your placenta.
#38 of 38 Old 01-15-2007, 05:01 AM

I think we're going to dry and encapsulate again. we did this w/ Lily, and I think it helped, although I wasn't that great at taking the pills....

NOTE: buy the smaller size capsules and not the bigger/horsepill ones, even though they might be cheaper!! (at least the pill-holder thingy). After making them, I realized they were horsepills and not fun to take. So I'm getting a new "Cap 'em quick" which is what my pill holder thing is called.

Oh, and dh did it all for me!!! he was so super. It totally grosed us out at first, but after a while, it was super cool.

Oh, and we have to make prints too.

I was also going to make a tincture, but decided against it since we did the pills. Anyone heard of this? I guess I read something on the internet about it (where else?!)

And I was the only person on my due date group on MDC to do this w/ Lily. People are much more open to it all, even just 3 yrs later! Sweet!

And I still have a small container of placenta powder in the freezer. It's been moved and defrosted, stored in a car, etc multiple times, so I'm sure it's not good anymore, but I don't know what to do w/ it.... Haven't decided on the appropriate send-off.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page