What are your plans for your placenta? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 38 Old 01-04-2007, 04:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I plan on doing what I did last time and having it dried and capsulized to take to ward of ppd. I had a severe case with my third child, and would do just about anything to prevent that again. It was an amazing help last time. I felt wonderful for weeks and weeks, and my PP bleeding was very minimal, and short lived, and my milk was in full force so quickly. It was truly life altering for me. So what are your plans?

Single mama to Alex(13), Maddy(12), Sam(8), Violet(6), and Ruby(3). fly-by-nursing1.gif
#2 of 38 Old 01-04-2007, 04:08 PM

Hm. I haven't really thought about it. I would like to do something useful with it this time, as last time it just got tossed.
#3 of 38 Old 01-04-2007, 04:12 PM

This whole subject is new to me. I always thought of it as being gross. I couldn't imagine ingesting it in any way, shape or form. What are the benefits?
#4 of 38 Old 01-04-2007, 04:24 PM - Thread Starter

I posted a lot of the benefits in my first post. It contains a lot of hormones form your pregnancy, so when you loose your placenta, your body is kind of jolted and that can sometimes cause ppd(from my understanding, there are other factors too of course). Mammals eat their placentas not only to get rid of evidence the birth, but also because it helps to slow the bleeding, brings in milk sooner, and helps the hormonal imbalance that often happens after birthing.

I have someone who lives in my town that slices the placenta into thin sliced, dehydrates it, crushes it to a powder, then capsulizes it. I never have to do anything with it myself, and then I take it in capsule for, just like a vitamin or any other supplement. I truly believe that it saved me from horrible depression last time. With my third baby I was so bad off that I would refuse to nurse or hold him, and we all have lingering emotional scars from that.

I know it seems weird, and kind of gross at first, but there is a lot of info out there on the benefits, do a search on MDC. I know there was a huge thread about it a while back. I'll look for it.

Single mama to Alex(13), Maddy(12), Sam(8), Violet(6), and Ruby(3). fly-by-nursing1.gif
#5 of 38 Old 01-04-2007, 04:32 PM - Thread Starter

Here is the link. Lots of great info in there!

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...nta+capsulized

#6 of 38 Old 01-04-2007, 04:59 PM

I don't think it is gross at all. I think it is pretty smart.

I buried my son's placenta last time on my grandmother's land. I held a small ceremony in appreciation for its purpose. I felt like it was the last step needed to finish the pregnancy/birth phase.

But this time I am highly interested in placentophagy. I have read a lot on it over the last five years. I know that in its raw state it is suppose to be the best, but I just cannot do that (unless I hemorrhage after birth, then I will take a piece of it). But I am very interested in taking it in a capsule form. I feel that doing it this way I will have plenty to take over a period of time. I am hoping it will help me heal, ward off any kind of depression, replace vital nutrients, and help me with milk supply (I went through breastfeeding hell last time).

You said you have someone in the community who will do it for you. Where are you at? I would love to be able to find the same so as not to have to deal with it. Gives me a great idea to ask the local NDs and other alternative health providers if they would do this.

Thanks for posting this, I am sure there are plenty of people that have never heard of this and now they will!
#7 of 38 Old 01-04-2007, 07:58 PM
Banned

I plan to have my midwife dispose of it as quickly and efficiently as possible.
#8 of 38 Old 01-04-2007, 08:04 PM

I'll bury it under a tree as we did with my daughters. The idea is that we'll move home to NZ in a couple of years, but they will always have a connection with the land here in this country (they are half american anyway).

It's a common thing in NZ to bury them
#9 of 38 Old 01-04-2007, 08:06 PM

I plan to have it come out and not make me bleed too much.
#10 of 38 Old 01-04-2007, 08:20 PM

I'm in love with the idea of lotus birth, but I really don't know how feasible it will end up being. If hemorrhage is a concern, then no lotus because I can't fathom eating a chunk while it's still attached to the baby, and I don't want one to have a lotus and one not to, y'know? It seems unnecessarily unfair to me.

So if hemorrhage is an issue, I'll eat a bit of each right off and then dry them both and make capsules to stave off PPD, etc. I figure, they will have sustained my babes, they can sustain me now!
#11 of 38 Old 01-04-2007, 10:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jada Mae View Post
I don't think it is gross at all. I think it is pretty smart.

I buried my son's placenta last time on my grandmother's land. I held a small ceremony in appreciation for its purpose. I felt like it was the last step needed to finish the pregnancy/birth phase.

But this time I am highly interested in placentophagy. I have read a lot on it over the last five years. I know that in its raw state it is suppose to be the best, but I just cannot do that (unless I hemorrhage after birth, then I will take a piece of it). But I am very interested in taking it in a capsule form. I feel that doing it this way I will have plenty to take over a period of time. I am hoping it will help me heal, ward off any kind of depression, replace vital nutrients, and help me with milk supply (I went through breastfeeding hell last time).

You said you have someone in the community who will do it for you. Where are you at? I would love to be able to find the same so as not to have to deal with it. Gives me a great idea to ask the local NDs and other alternative health providers if they would do this.

Thanks for posting this, I am sure there are plenty of people that have never heard of this and now they will!

I'm in Spokane, Wa. I am happy to spread the word. I just am amazed at the difference post partum I had last time.

#12 of 38 Old 01-04-2007, 10:51 PM

I am going to encapsulate mine and eat it as well. My DH is going to prepare it. I kind of thought when we discussed it that he would be happy if I could find someone else to prepare it, but he said if I couldn't, then he would do it, if that's what I wanted to do with it. I cannot imagine anyone around here does it though.
#13 of 38 Old 01-04-2007, 11:48 PM

I plan to dry and encapsulate mine as well. I'll probably do this myself as I'm not sure if anyone around does it. You can buy an encapsultion device and empty capsules here: http://www.mountainroseherbs.com/tools/encap.php for anyone else who wants to do it (I was really stumped on how in the heck to do this until I saw this thing-seems pretty simple now!) I had thought about the whole placenta smoothy thing-make a big batch and have a little each day-but I think taking as a pill will work much better for me.

kettunainen-I love the idea of a lotus birth too, but I figure I'd probably get more benefits from the placenta than baby will get from keeping it. I went back and forth a lot, though.

Trish~mama to Kaelie 5/03 and Amelia 12/13, surro mama to Aidan 2/08 & Ellyss 6/09, 

#14 of 38 Old 01-05-2007, 01:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiePie View Post
I plan to have it come out and not make me bleed too much.
LOL...I was thinking the same thing. But it also made me remember a placenta site that a "mother-goddess-earth-love" kind of friend sent me when I was pregnant with dd. It was very interesting, to say the least. It has all sorts of things to do with your placenta (even gives recipes on how to cook it with, like Lasagne, Stew, Pizza and Spaghetti ...lol) Check it out for yourself... http://www.geocities.com/virtualbirth/placenta.html

http://www.snugglepie.com/ezb/732634.png
#15 of 38 Old 01-05-2007, 01:43 AM

[QUOTE=BlackButterfly;6925357]LOL...I was thinking the same thing. But it also made me remember a placenta site that a "mother-goddess-earth-love" kind of friend sent me when I was pregnant with dd. It was very interesting, to say the least. It has all sorts of things to do with your placenta (even gives recipes on how to cook it with, like Lasagne, Stew, Pizza and Spaghetti ...lol) Check it out for yourself... http://www.geocities.com/virtualbirth/placenta.html

Ha, I like the idea of taking the placenta with wine. Makes the whole idea much more tempting
#16 of 38 Old 01-05-2007, 03:01 AM

Hi,
I always planted them under a tree for the kids. This time I haven't ruled out the idea of a lotus birth but was thinking I would probably end up doing prints of it on cloth and then freezing it in case I wanted to dehydrate and encapsulate it. I would probably leave it whole to plant under a tree unless I experience PPD. We'll see what hormones dictate though, I still may end up with a lotus birth afterall.
Teri
#17 of 38 Old 01-05-2007, 03:35 AM

I plan on eating it too! :

If I can't find someone to dry it and encapsulate it for me, then I'll just take it home and mix up a major batch of smoothies and freeze it that way. I had bad bad bad PPD with DD#1 and was on meds for PPD before DS#2 was born, so I am really hoping to avoid that this time!

I haven't told DH any of this yet of course, he thinks I'm weird enough as it is. :

#18 of 38 Old 01-05-2007, 05:28 AM

I had a lotus birth with my 3rd child and will do the same when this baby arrives in July.

> If hemorrhage is a concern, then no lotus because I can't fathom eating a chunk while it's still attached to the baby

If I were bleeding the first things I'd do is get breastfeeding.

I have heard secondhand that if are bleeding post birth it can be enough to just touch the placenta to the mother's lips. This signals to the body that the birth is over and everything should close off now.

There are also homeopathics and herbal tinctures that work well for PPH.

There is nothing that I can think of that excludes lotus birth as an option. You can have a lotus birth if you are having hospital birth, homebirth, twins, c/section - any kind of birth. You can certainly take a bite while the placenta is still attached. You can do placenta prints while the placenta is still attached. You can dry and encapsulate the placenta and by the time the cord separates the placenta is mostly dried out. You can also bury the placenta if you choose to - the only consideration here is that if you choose to salt the placenta you need to choose a salt tolerant plant if you want to plant the placenta under a tree - but there is no need to salt the placenta at all and we plan to just let it air dry this time.

I too found placenta's gross when I had never really looked at one or handled one. During my daughter's lotus birth I learned to see them with a different view and find them remarkable and quite beautiful in their own way. Even my 10yo son who was freaked out by the idea of a lotus birth became very comfortable with the placenta during the experience and it was he who chose to resalt and rewrap his baby sister's placenta each day.

We weren't too sure the first time how it would be so we just took it one hour/day at a time and knew that we could decide to cut at any time but as it was we were very happy to wait. It took 4 days and 2 hours for my daughter to be lotus born.

Cheers
#19 of 38 Old 01-05-2007, 10:50 AM

Ok, someone explain a lotus birth to me. I'm getting a mental picture of someone chewing off their own cord too.
#20 of 38 Old 01-05-2007, 12:34 PM

Lotus birth is where you leave the cord uncut and the placenta attached to baby until it falls off of it's own accord. Usually people have a placenta bag that they carry the placenta in either wrapped with baby or my necessaty close to baby. One of the good things I've heard about it is that it keeps lots of hands from holding the new baby. Not many people want to with a placenta attached and if your a new baby that's a good thing. Of course there are many other +ves as well
#21 of 38 Old 01-05-2007, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotusmamma View Post
If I were bleeding the first things I'd do is get breastfeeding.
Very true, and for the most part will really help, but.... sometimes the baby won't nurse right after the birth (or when needed if bleeding occurs). This is why I'd go for the piece of placenta and stick it between my cheek and gums.
#22 of 38 Old 01-05-2007, 11:14 PM

i plan on putting a peice between my cheek n gum or under my tongue, swallowing a peice and having the rest dried crushed and encapsulated by my mother and DH.

treehugger.gif )O( unschooling, witchy mum to Addy(7) and Niamh(4)
Living with an invisible chronic illness.
Fat and hairy. And happy with both *( o Y o )*
#23 of 38 Old 01-05-2007, 11:18 PM - Thread Starter

I seriously can not tell you how excited I am that there are so many mamas planningon injesting the placenta! I feel like a crazy person talking about it all the time, but it was so amazing to me the way it helped me, and if there is anyone out there that hasn't heard, or that has suffered severe(or even at all)PPD, I hope they will consider it.

#24 of 38 Old 01-06-2007, 03:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamamoo
I seriously can not tell you how excited I am that there are so many mamas planningon injesting the placenta!
I know me too!

And I just LOVE the fact that I can actually talk about it here and it isn't seen as weird, but a great thing to do!
#25 of 38 Old 01-06-2007, 05:37 PM

I am glad to see others interested in this as well (note: interested does not = they have to do it or believe in doing it).

I could care less how crazy people think I am when I talk about it.

I know most people are turned off, but when I talk openly about it and not censor myself due to fear of other's thoughts, there are going to be those few out there who will start asking questions because they have never heard of it. Then they take that curiosity and research it out for themselves. Before you know it, regardless if they choose placentophagy or not, they have now become aware and informed about it. With that knowledge, they can then pass it on to others who are interested! I think this also helps decrease judgement and ignorance about the subject matter. I mean really, I don't care if people want to do it or not, but I do care if people make a big stink out of it instead of realizing that people do what they feel is best for them.

Ahh, the power of knowledge!
#26 of 38 Old 01-06-2007, 09:41 PM

I currently plan on burying it somewhere in the yard, but part of me wants to sautee it in butter and chow down just to gross out the gals on my Catholic forum. But right now I can't even think about eating organ meat of any kind. In fact, I'm having trouble eating much of any kind of meat, and I've never been a vegetarian before. I think if the idea of eating it sounds good at the moment, I'll do it. But I don't think I'll bother with the capsules.
#27 of 38 Old 01-06-2007, 11:45 PM

I am still trying to figure out what to do with the two that are in my freezer

yes, I know it has been an incredibly long time! They have been moved to several different houses in the past 7 and 5 years! I figured with the new one coming, it was probably time to do something with them now!

I always planned on burying them under a tree or something, but I never had a good place to do it. I have always rented and my parents house was (and is on and off) for sale. I wanted them to be somewhere kind of permanent.

Hmm....my grandpa does have land up in Northern Michigan. Maybe I will take them up there!

I have no idea what I will do with this one. Maybe I will take them all up together.
#28 of 38 Old 01-07-2007, 04:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jada Mae
I know most people are turned off, but when I talk openly about it and not censor myself due to fear of other's thoughts, there are going to be those few out there who will start asking questions because they have never heard of it. Then they take that curiosity and research it out for themselves.
JM you are sooooooo bang on there.

When I first saw a post about it here on MDC about women eating the placenta I thought "you have got to be freakin' kidding me!" : It totally grossed me out. But I am very open minded if I do say so myself : so I kept reading and did more research and the more I read the more it made sense and wasn't so weird anymore. I didn't realize until I started reading more and researching all the amazing benefits of it. So, within a short time frame I went from thinking "eeeew GROSS" to "I'm gonna eat my placenta!"

#29 of 38 Old 01-07-2007, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MammaKoz View Post
JM you are sooooooo bang on there.

When I first saw a post about it here on MDC about women eating the placenta I thought "you have got to be freakin' kidding me!" : It totally grossed me out. But I am very open minded if I do say so myself : so I kept reading and did more research and the more I read the more it made sense and wasn't so weird anymore. I didn't realize until I started reading more and researching all the amazing benefits of it. So, within a short time frame I went from thinking "eeeew GROSS" to "I'm gonna eat my placenta!"

Yeay MammaKoz! See, that is the kind of stuff I am talking about. And I am not jumping up and down because you have decided to consume your placenta, but instead of being ignorant about it and judging it/others, you took time to learn about it. I mean, some people will learn about it and still think its gross, but at least they have an understanding of it and I feel with that understanding they will be less likely to judge people about it.

It will be interesting to share our stories after the birth of our babes and see how the placentophagy worked out for us ("us" meaning anyone on this group who are planning to do this. I'd like to compare notes! ).
#30 of 38 Old 01-07-2007, 11:55 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jada Mae View Post
Yeay MammaKoz! See, that is the kind of stuff I am talking about. And I am not jumping up and down because you have decided to consume your placenta, but instead of being ignorant about it and judging it/others, you took time to learn about it. I mean, some people will learn about it and still think its gross, but at least they have an understanding of it and I feel with that understanding they will be less likely to judge people about it.

It will be interesting to share our stories after the birth of our babes and see how the placentophagy worked out for us ("us" meaning anyone on this group who are planning to do this. I'd like to compare notes! ).

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page