Hair Dye? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-09-2007, 07:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
For those of you who color/highlight your hair pre-pg, what's the consensus on doing it while your pg? I just started getting my hair highlighted last fall and wasn't sure if it was safe to do now. I think DH and the budget are hoping for a big fat no!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2007, 07:53 PM

I am waiting til the first trimester is up and then I am going to touch up my roots. I use Tints of Nature hair colour from the health store.
Old 01-09-2007, 07:57 PM

As far as I know there are no huge risks.....but, Though I have dyed my hair for over 10 years now, I never dye it when I am pregnant or bf. In fact I only dye it while I am on my period to avoid any possible risk to a "potential bean"
For me the risk (however slight) out weighs my need to keep my gray covered.

ETA--I Do use henna when I am bf. But it is really messy and it dosent cover gray as well

DH&Me  Christ follower, homeschooler, gardener, (insert lots of additional crunchiness here) chicken mama, & occasionally blogger. intactlact.gifMama of  boys 9,7,3.5,&11months....& SURPRISE jaw2.gif  expecting a BOY in November!  7 sweet-babes gone too soon.

Old 01-09-2007, 09:42 PM

I graduated cosmetology/esthetics school (with honors, thank you!: ) right before I had my DS, so, I was reasearching this all through school; and highlights, because they don't touch your scalp, are totally ok. Make sure you are in a room with good air flow...
It is an okay option to use henna or vegatable dyes, but you really shouldn't ever use chemical dyes after or before the use of henna or veg. dyes, it is really bad. So if you are gonna use henna or veg. remember you can't use (with out really screwing up your hair anyway) chemical dyes until all the hair with henna or veg. grows out and get's cut off.
I myself did color my hair one time during pg. (hot pink w/ dark blonde roots is GROSS!!!) when I was 4 months along, and DS is fine. I was not comfortable dying every 6 weeks, so I did highlights to freshen up instead.

*¨`*.✫*¨*.¸¸.✶*¨`*.*¨`*.✫*¨*.¸¸.✶*¨`*.*¨`*.✫*¨*.¸¸.✶*¨`*
*¨`*.✫*¨*.¸¸.✶*¨`*.Jasmine Rae Ojala*¨`*.✫*¨*.¸¸.✶*¨`*
Old 01-10-2007, 02:21 AM

I've been dying my hair chemically for years. When I was pregnant with DS, after I couldn't stand the roots any longer, I bought the henna at the health food store and brought it to my stylist for him to put on my hair.

Everyone warned me it could damage my hair. Some even said that most stylists won't put henna on chemically treated hair. Nothing happened. The Henna came out great, and when my DS was 3 or 4 months old I went back to chemicals. Never had any issues.
Old 01-10-2007, 07:14 PM

I have been wrestling with this very issue and I am glad you posted this thread I did have it dyed once before I knew I was pregnant (must have been right near or just after conception).

I have been dying my hair forever, but I did not dye it with my previous pregnancies just because I happened to be in a non-dying phase at the time......

My hairstylist says it is totally ok....and that highlights are even more okay because they don't touch your scalp so don't get into your blood stream. (as a pp said!)

After our wedding in May I told her that we may want to get pregnant relatively soon and she started only highlighting and lowlighting my hair (are lowlights the same process as highlights? Sorry if that is a dumb question!) at that point so that I would feel better, I do tend to worry .

I am trying to figure out if it is really okay, especially if she is only doing highlights and lowlights (semi permanent chemical hair dye)...so am I hearing "should be fine" so far?

I cancelled my last appointment so that I could wait until the end of the first trimester and have more time to research...but my hair is getting kind of gross now and making me feel not very attractive...especially at work..silly I know..but still.

Any more women out there who dyed their hair and have healthy babies and kiddos?

Thanks again to the op!
Old 01-11-2007, 01:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artgoddess View Post
I've been dying my hair chemically for years. When I was pregnant with DS, after I couldn't stand the roots any longer, I bought the henna at the health food store and brought it to my stylist for him to put on my hair.

Everyone warned me it could damage my hair. Some even said that most stylists won't put henna on chemically treated hair. Nothing happened. The Henna came out great, and when my DS was 3 or 4 months old I went back to chemicals. Never had any issues.
That is so awesome that it didn't ruin your hair! Do you normally have super healthy hair?
I only heard horror stories, so I am glad to hear you did it without any "dire" conciquences. I pretty much always did things with color that I was not "supposed" to do (on only my hair of course), like going from jet black to bright blonde to fire engine red, all in one week and my hair was mostly fine

*¨`*.✫*¨*.¸¸.✶*¨`*.Jasmine Rae Ojala*¨`*.✫*¨*.¸¸.✶*¨`*

User Tag List