August 07 twins! - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-04-2007, 01:48 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
And here I am.

I did lurk on this thread a little, because I was curious. And now here I am. Still definitely in the freaking out stage. And now I have to figure out where we are going to give birth. We had decided homebirth when it was only one, but now there are more things to think about.

And yes, mine are au-natural. They are fraternal, and the sonographer said she saw 2 boys. Oh crap, I am totally in for it. I was hoping for a girl. So now I have a faint hope that she saw wrong and maybe one is a girl.

I can't believe we are supposed to be gaining the equivalent in weeks. I guess I haven't weighed myself in a week or so, but the last time I checked, maybe at 19+ weeks, I had gained about 10 pounds. I am so not looking forward to stuffing myself. I already feel full most of the time.

Time to get some books on carrying twins. Twins? Did I just say twins? Oh my.

Andrea mommy to G(2/97), S : (1/04), E & J (7/07)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2007, 01:50 AM

Oh yeah, my due date is August 12th.

And I think CrunchyClark and I are a duo in the spotlight on thread?

Old 04-04-2007, 02:48 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Added you! You are due the same date as sugarandspice who was the most recent 'twin' addition too! LOL

Come on....someone be due near the end with me???? Bah!

And yes! We are on the spotlight thread together It must have given you double luck

~Mama to my boys~ to a teen, a tween & a toddler and surro-mama to twins and their sister

Livin' in the sticks with my chicks chicken3.gif and lovin' it!

2014:  4/52 projects  0/2014 things 0/52 books

Old 04-04-2007, 05:27 AM

Welcome!

I've read the twin books. Waste of money and full of scare tactics. The absolute best book, AP, pro-vaginal birth etc, is Having Twins by Elizabeth Noble. Highly recommend.

I worried a lot about weight gain at the beginning, especially because DS was still nursing a lot. BUT all of a sudden, here I am at 22 weeks and gained 23 pounds. I have not paid too much attention to calories. More to just eating lots of protein and keeping my iron up.

Two boys. Just told my DH that I'm so happy to be having two girls and skipping having teenage boys eating non-stop That's OK though. You'll do fine. Boys are great!

Missionary, birth-worker, midwifery student
Mama to love.gif DD (9yr), DS luxlove.gif (3yr), & 2twins.gif UC twin DDs (5yr)

Old 04-04-2007, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaRabbit View Post
The absolute best book, AP, pro-vaginal birth etc, is Having Twins by Elizabeth Noble. Highly recommend.
My midwife has recommended this as a must read. At this point I just have no idea as to what I should be intaking or what I should be watching for.

Quote:
Two boys. Just told my DH that I'm so happy to be having two girls and skipping having teenage boys eating non-stop That's OK though. You'll do fine. Boys are great!
I do have a 10 year old boy, and he already eats more than me. He'll be out of the house by the time these ones are teens though. Oh, I can't even imagine that grocery bill!

So is anyone else still nursing a toddler? Due to recent events, the midwife recommended that I think about weaning my 3 yo. Ugh, that does not sound like fun, but I wouldn't want to jeapordize the babes. I hate having to make those kinds of decisions.

Old 04-04-2007, 11:25 AM

I was still bfing on demand when I found out we were having twins. I was gaining no weight, totally exhausted, and just feeling horrible. So, with a combination of offering breastmilk less, goat milk more, and my drop in supply, he (now 18mo) is nursing 2-3 x a day on demand. I doubt he's getting much. I'm not in pain bfing anymore, and I'm gaining fine and feel good, so this is a happy compromise for us. I was told to wean, but I couldn't completely! I now feel like as long as it's not too much for me to handle AND that I continue to gain, it's no big deal.

I hated it when my midwife friend told me that I just MUST wean... and I only have 2 boobs so what would I do with twins and a toddler nursing. Um, same as if it were triplets? I'm hoping DS continues being interested in bfing so that when the twins are born, he can still have some "mommy milk" just for him.

Old 04-08-2007, 11:07 PM - Thread Starter

Hi girls! had the big US on Friday and babies looked great! I'm still not believing there are TWO in there! It's just crazy to think! LOL My IPs came and they were just in awe watching the US. It will be the only one they're here for until the birth most likely, so it was very special for them and exciting. Plus, I got to see surro-daughter. She has grown SO much. 19 mos old already and a little firecracker! They are going to be SOOO busy!

Any of you have ones that age? How do you think they'll react to TWO new babies? I know my IPs are little nervous about sibling stuff!

~Mama to my boys~ to a teen, a tween & a toddler and surro-mama to twins and their sister

Old 04-09-2007, 01:33 AM

My DS is 19mo old also. Will be almost 2 when babies are due. When he was born, my DD had turned 2... only 3 days before. They had the same duedate and I was soooo happy they didn't share the same birthday. Anyway. DD did really well at first. We taught her early on that she could touch the top of the head or the toes. No problems until DS was about 6mo old. That's when babies start moving, get more interactive, etc. Then DD was jealous. Really, I don't think you can prevent it. There will always be jealousy at some point, unfortunately.

Old 05-09-2007, 02:55 AM - Thread Starter

So how is everyone doing? Long time no posts on 'our' thread! A month! LOL

Everyone getting big!?

Everyone focusing on their visualizing big term babies with easy vaginal deliveries and all that!?

Old 05-09-2007, 05:22 AM

I was going to hunt down this thread today!

I'm getting so big, measuring 35wk at 27wk. Visualizing big babies.

Here's something a little scary though. Sunday night, DH and I had sex... first time in a couple weeks. No contractions that night so figured it had no impact. Well, a lot of Mon and Tues. I noticed frequent BH. And when I went to the bathroom noticed a change in discharge. Super thick rubbery clumps. So I think... am I losing my plug, am I dilating? So I ask DH to check for dilation...

and I'm almost 2cm dilated when it was none the week the before. So even though I know it's okay to be this much dilated this early, the sudden change is a little unnerving.

Thankfully, our full-time nanny/maid started Monday and now that we're on day 3 and she knows what to do I can actually lay down. I've struggled so much watching 2 kids by myself with no help and zero rest or laying down time. Hopefully the dilation will stop now that I can rest. And DH told me that no sex is fine with him... anything to keep the babies in as long as possible. I'm not sure if it was the sex or fatigue but at this point, we're not taking any chances.

"38 weeks, 7 pounds, head down" is still my mantra.

Old 05-09-2007, 05:48 AM - Thread Starter

Yay that your help is there! I'm sure that is great with little ones I hope the dilation slows down for you!

I'm not sure what I'm measuring these days, but I'd guess up into the 30ish weeks at 24 weeks as I'm a little more than hand's width above my belly button. I have an appt next week and so I'll know for sure then. At least I'm gaining weight finally and I'm sure my OB will be happy about that! I'm only up 10 lbs for the whole pregnancy, but I've been eating, eating, eating! My personal chef aka hubby will make me just about anything, so that has been nice! Whatever dietary whim I have...he's off to see if he can fulfill it

Still feeling good here. My only complaint would be Baby B and his/her darn 'scratching' my cervix! Though the last few days have been better. And now that same baby has hiccups a few times a day too! The other baby is nice and 'docile'....or at least I think so..maybe those anterior placentas are just 'hiding' baby a's wildness hehehe

Had my iron checked today and it's a little low now. It was nice and strong only 4 weeks ago! DARN! I am already taking close to 60 mg of iron a day (30 mg in my Rainbow Light Prenatals and 28 mg supplement as recommended by the nutritionist). So, I switched to a different iron supplement today on her recommendation to see if I'll absorb it differently and they'll stick me at my appt next week and see if I went up at all in a week. A friend told me about B something vitamin shot you can get once a month that is supposed to help with iron levels....so maybe I'll ask about that as well. But, funny thing is that I don't "feel" tired at all....I actually am my 'usual' stay up late and work and play all day self. Maybe it'll hit me soon and then I'll be saying...mannnn why am I sooo tired LOL

Old 05-09-2007, 05:28 PM

Definitely feeling very pregnant right now and thinking how much bigger am I going to get.... Oi! I'm with MamaRabbit on the 38 weeks and 7lbs thought pattern. We're interviewing doulas since I had to change from my cnm to an OB. I just told the ones that insisted I should plan on 36 wks that I wasn't interested in their services. Positive thoughts only please. I know it's a possibility but not something I'm going to dwell on.

We did find out we're having a boy and a girl at our big ultrasound. They are busy, busy. Always moving around. Anyone know when they might settle into position. I know 26 weeks is still early, but baby girl, baby A, tends to prefer the breech position. I need to schedule an appointment with the chiropractor to make sure everything is properly aligned.

I'm so tired of food and eating... bleh. I've only gained 20 lbs so far but the new OB didn't seem concerned. He measured my fundal height at 30 wks (last Thurs) although the mw had said 31.5 wks a few of weeks ago. Guess it depends on who is holding the tape measure.

How do you ladies get in your calories? I think I'm okay on protein with eggs, milk, yogurt, cheese, meat, nuts. Still trying to find a protein powder I can tolerate, and I'm getting vegetables, fruit and some grains. I just don't think I'm getting over 3000 calories a day. What do you eat? I think my diet is pretty healthy except for the occasional ice cream or milkshake. Hoping that's enough. I don't think I can take in anymore.

I guess I'm focusing more on the pregnancy and birth while DH is focusing on what comes after. How will our then 3 1/2 yr old DD react? Will we have the help we need? Will we ever sleep again? I know we'll survive but it is overwhelming some days. Are you guys doing anything to prepare?
Old 05-09-2007, 10:32 PM

It sounds like we are all moving along towards the finish line

Everything is going great with me. Well, everything appears great I am going through much much more then I ever did with my singletons. More discomfort, more heartburn, more BH, more discharge, more EVERYTHING.

My girls are measuring 3 weeks ahead, but we aren't changing due dates. I posted before that I have a history of HUGE babies. So, I wouldn't let them change the due date. I would rather be off in this direction then to risk bringing them too early if something happened.

I have gained 25 lbs. My BP was slightly elevated for me today. 134/94. But that too has always happened in the 3rd Tri for me.

I am just really happy to have hit the 28 week mark today. It is such a relief to know that we can see the light at the end of the tunnel. I can deal with all the discomfort FAR easier then dealing with the worrying.
Old 05-10-2007, 02:22 AM - Thread Starter

Sounds like everyone is doing well

I read in one of my twin books...can't remember now...but every one day inside is THREE days less in the NICU! So...as we start getting huge at the end and uncomfortable...that is an excellent thought to keep in mind! If I can weather just ONE more day, that is THREE days less the babies would potentially have to spend in a NICU!

sugar....I'm just eating constantly! Lots and lots and lots of protein...TRYING to keep that number up! And then fill in with other things. PROTEIN first!

As far as measuring....yep...EVERY provider will measure you differently...even on the same day! But, also your babies might have moved to account for the lower reading. They might have settled in more rather than a yin-yang type position which was taking up more space.

And I'm not sure on the 'settling in' to position, but I'd guess by around 30ish weeks they'll not be much room to move! If I had to guess, I'd say these are both head down now just from where I'm feeling the kicks and movement compared to a few weeks ago. And also, one keeps getting hiccups and it's down lower rather than higher up, so I'd guess head down, but who knows!

Aurie, I'd not change the due date this late in the game either! I hear that twins slow down around 28 weeks, so perhaps that will be true of your girls and they were just bulking up Put those feet up above your head as often as you can! It will help the BP.

Old 05-10-2007, 11:55 AM

Nice to see this thread again!

So I have been trying not to stress myself about eating. Trying to just eat healthy and trust my body for hunger cues, etc. So I haven't been keeping track of calories or protein count or anything. Well, yesterday out of the blue I decided to count my protein intake, just to get a gauge of where I'm at. I counted throughout the day about 140 grams! Whoo hooo! And that is pretty much a normal day of eating. Sure, some days are better, some worse, but I'm happy that it should be just fine and it's not something I have to worry about. Now, getting calories and good vegetables are another thing. I am so selective when it comes to veggies. They have to be cooked just right, etc. And I'm having such a hard time just eating a salad every day. I have the lettuce sitting in my fridge too. :

I have been trying to let go of my dream of a homebirth. It was a homebirth midwife who diagnosed the twins and said she would go forward with my care if that's what I decided. Well, I debated. Talked to the hospital midwives. And then finally decided yes, that I still very much wanted a homebirth. Then I call up the hb midwife and she tells me she was unable to find a team of midwives with twin experience, so its a no-go. So I'm off to the hospital. Which, if I had to be in a hospital, it is definitely one I would choose. Only its over an hour away. But I am still sad. This will be my last pregnancy and my last chance at a homebirth (dh was not on board with the other pregnancy). And I really don't feel comfortable with a uc. I have a bleeding history, and I know twins can up that risk. So that all stinks. I know I just have to let it go and focus on making the birth the best it can be, so I'm working on it.

Other than that I am feeling good. I found an awesome chiropractor, and my pubic bone pain is gone!!! Hallelujah!! I had that so bad with my others, and it was already starting with this pregnancy. I dreaded the next couple months. Not that it is comfortable sleeping regardless. Holy cow, what a production it is just turning over!

And I am a little frusterated that I have less energy. There is so much to do around here. I need to get my garden in and I think I really need someone to help me, I just don't have the energy to do it myself.

Goodness, I think I could go on and on today, so I better just stop. Good to hear everyone else is doing well!

Old 05-16-2007, 02:38 PM - Thread Starter

Back from my OB appt today. I'm measuring 33 weeks at 25 weeks :

Holy heck! I go back in three weeks for the glucose test--bleck. But everything going well. I gained weight too. Whoohoo! 9 lbs in 6 weeks so that was awesome I'm up almost 15 now. YAY for me!!!!

I had "lots" of WBC in my urine, so they sent it off to culture. I said I have no symptoms of a UTI....but I'm beginning to wonder now after I left the office. I've had a really bad backache for about a week now. It's midback which wouldn't be 'typical' kidney pain area, but now I'm wondering if it might be. My chiro said there are 'no findings' and the area I say hurts is a-okay....no inflammation, no subluxation, and icing doesn't help. Neither does any of the other 'back pain' things you are told to try.

I have had a kidney infection before w/out many symptoms except a backache! And I'd had it for a good month before I started peeing blood and THEN it was diagnosed. Soooo I'll wait for the results, but the more I think about it....I bet it IS a kidney infection and not just 'back pain'.

Old 05-16-2007, 11:26 PM

Goodness, I hope everything works out with the WBC stuff. I went today and they said I had a little but sounded as if it probably wasn't a big deal.

I am also measuring 33, but I'm about 27 1/2. Have you posted a pic lately? Cause I swear you look tiny! I just saw a pic of myself and I look humongous!!! I should post another one soon.

Glad you are doing well on the weight gain! I am up 21 pounds, so I'm a little excited myself. I only gained 13 total with my last one, but I was really sick.

How's everyone else? What are you all measuring these days?

Old 05-16-2007, 11:51 PM - Thread Starter

Yup...I posted a recent one to the belly pics thread. This is me at 25w and yeah I don't think I look that big yet, but I'm at least as big as I was at 8 mos along w/ my last one!

Old 05-17-2007, 05:07 AM

CrunchyClark, can you decline the glucose test? The reason I ask is that the test results are even more skewed for twins and you're pretty likely to get a GD result even if you're not.

I'm 29wk tomorrow. Gained 30+lb. I now outweigh DH, though that's not saying much considering he weighs 165 at 6'4" No preterm labor this week, though I'm really starting to slow down. Yesterday's grocery trip gave me too many contractions and I was utterly exhausted. Told DH he'd be doing that trip from now on. I don't want to be house bound, but there's no getting around tons of walking here... wish they had those motorized scooters like at Walmart!

Old 05-17-2007, 05:46 PM - Thread Starter

I could probably decline the GD, but I'm usually low! I just hate drinking the orange drink ick! At least it's not fasting at my clinic now, that made me seriously ill the first time.

My first, it was in the 50s and I had to do it again 'under supervision' because they thought I hadn't done it right--I was young (20) LOL And the second one that time wasn't even 60. Then with ds 2 it was in the 60s as well and last time with surro-daughter it was 75? I think. So, I'm always very low. Maybe this time I'll be 'within normal' range LOL

LOL MR....that isn't saying a whole lot I almost weigh more than your dh NOT pregnant! I'm 5'10" though. Usually weigh 155-165 not pregnant. Well hanging at the house won't be so bad when it starts getting really hot!!!!

Old 05-19-2007, 01:23 AM

Went to my apt. today and was measuring 32 at 28 so I am not as big as every one else. All my other babies were around 8lb. Maybe I am so busy chasing my other 7 kids that I have not gained much for the babies.
Shawnii
Old 05-19-2007, 01:48 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mothtomany View Post
Went to my apt. today and was measuring 32 at 28 so I am not as big as every one else. All my other babies were around 8lb. Maybe I am so busy chasing my other 7 kids that I have not gained much for the babies.
Shawnii
Could be! Or maybe you have a petite uterus LOL

I know my OB told me that 4-6 weeks ahead was 'average' at each appointment for twins and it slows down after 28 weeks.

Old 05-19-2007, 05:08 AM

I gained 2cm last week. I'm now 38cm at 29wk. I am measuring myself and I'm the only one measuring so either I'm consistently measuring correctly or measuring consistently bigger Whatever! All I know is that I'm so big!

Old 06-03-2007, 01:11 PM

I acidently double posted please read my next post.
Sorry.
Old 06-03-2007, 01:12 PM

I am almost 31 weeks and My doc. said to come see him every week now and I need to do a stress test every two weeks now.
I am not used to all this doctoring stuff when I have had most of my kids at home. My husband don't like the idea of having twins at home and I think our last baby kind of scared both of us because we had him in the Hos. for the fact that I couldn't get a mid wife out to my area (we had just moved to the area) but sence have found some that would come out this far. Any way our last son had a heart defect that we didn't even know about until after he was born and he had to have a heart surgery that same day and many other things done to him and I don't think he would have made it if he was born at home. I belive there is a reason for every thing and know I know the reason that I couldn't find a M/W at that time.
Any way, any one else that is having a twin Hos. birth now have to go each week? and are you starting any stress test?
I am also up set b/c I just loved the M/W that I started out seeing but he said that he would like me to see the Doc. over him at least one time to meet him (they work in the same clinic) and now I am stuck with the Doc. I took a peak at my records on the computer when I was in the room waiting and it said on there "Transfer" from my M/W
The Doc. is a great guy but the M/W I had was so layed back.
I am wondering if I should cancel my next apt. and remake it with the M/W I don't know what they would say.
Any way just had to vent a bit.
Shawnii
Old 06-03-2007, 01:42 PM

I'm not going every week. I refuse. I don't think all of the testing is necessary, at least for my type of twins. I think I'll go in at 36 weeks to re-establish care for incase I have to transfer.

Old 06-03-2007, 02:39 PM - Thread Starter

I was going every 5-6 weeks, I've really only seen my OB 3 times for prentals so far at 28 weeks which I think is pretty amazing for twins. I'd have thought he'd be running me in every few weeks by now, but he said to come back in 3 or 4, so I got an appt for like 3.5 when they could fit me in. I'd guess it will be 2 weeks for the next one though as I'm measuring full-term at 27 weeks so he said he'd want to watch me more closely when I hit "full term".

Shawnii have you had any problems that would make the OB want you coming in more often? And compared to what I've seen on some twin boards....every 2 weeks NST's isn't bad! LOL

Old 06-03-2007, 02:43 PM

I had an appt. with the perinatologist who then makes referrels to my MW on what type of care I should need in the last weeks. I believe what she said was that after 34 weeks I should start taking non-stress tests, although I don't quite remember. She did say that she would also like me to have one more ultrasound around 34-36 weeks, but if I refused that one it was no big deal. She also said that she likes to induce twins by 38 weeks if they aren't here on their own, but if I refuse that then she recommends the non-stress tests often. She basically said that she didn't see any reason that I should be high risk, and would agree to what I wanted with some conditions.

As far as appts., my MW said every 2 weeks, and that is because I recently transferred my care to them and need to get in visits with the back-up family practice doc, back-up midwife, and other appts such as going over birth plan, etc. The end is nearing very quickly ladies! Even going every 2 weeks, that is only 4-5 more appointments (if I went 40 weeks, which I'm doubting at this point). I think I start every week around 34 weeks, not sure. Wow, where did it all go?

On another note, anyone else having contractions all the time? I'm pretty sure they are braxton-hicks, and I have an appt. on Wednesday and will talk to my provider, but man, I don't remember having so many with my singletons.

Old 06-03-2007, 03:00 PM - Thread Starter

Yes, I'm having LOTS of contractions. i have an appt on Weds also and I need to ask about them. Also pretty sure they are BH, but some of them almost take my breath away and make me feel yucky. Like my heart is beating funny or something and make my eyes watery like feeling. Hard to explain, but they can be pretty intense for "just" BH I think.

Anyone else getting lots of pelvic pressure too? Sometimes I just feel like I need to lie down or these babies might fall out! LOL

Old 06-03-2007, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrunchyClark View Post
Yes, I'm having LOTS of contractions. i have an appt on Weds also and I need to ask about them. Also pretty sure they are BH, but some of them almost take my breath away and make me feel yucky. Like my heart is beating funny or something and make my eyes watery like feeling. Hard to explain, but they can be pretty intense for "just" BH I think.

Anyone else getting lots of pelvic pressure too? Sometimes I just feel like I need to lie down or these babies might fall out! LOL
I have not had any problems to make him want to see me once a week. As a matter of fact the ultra sound guy said I should be the poster child for a perfect twin pregnancy. The Doc. just said at this point is when you can start having problems with twin Pregnancy. I also have had a ton of B&H that were the same fealing that you explained above, they have taken my breath away and made my heart start racing like crazy.
He checked me last Friday just to make sure I was not starting into labor and I was totaly closed. I think I can make it to 40 weeks also, almost all of my babies have been over 40 weeks and I have had to be started a few time's because of the fear of the plecenta dieing. My Doc. also would like to enduce me at 38 weeks if I have not had them yet. It would be nice in a way to set a day because I have 7 other children and my husband's Uncle's family is going to take them for us and he is about a hour drive away and then about 1/2 an hour to get back to the Hospital. And that is not counting all the time it would take to just get them in the truck even if they do have there bags ready. I guess we will see what happens
Shawnii

User Tag List