Ectopic pregnancy or ovarian cyst? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 01-19-2007, 09:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm having intermittent pinching pain in my right side which is what I felt once with an ovarian cyst, but am wondering could this be an ectopic pregnancy? Has anyone dealt with either of these and could provide some insight? Thanks!

-H
#2 of 5 Old 01-19-2007, 10:33 PM

I have experienced the cyst but not during pregnancy. I don't have advice to give you on that however I want to tell you to be careful DTD until you find out. Dec 2005 I had one rupture while DTD. It put me in the hospital for 2 days. Don't want to scare you I just know it was the WORST pain that I have ever felt and I want to stop ANYONE from going thru that. I had no previous history of cyst...never knew I had one. It took doctors hours to figure out what happened. Finally an OB said what it was and said it is one of the worst pains a women will ever go thru INCLUDING childbirth. I've never had a child but I believe it.

Sorry I don't have much info on your actual question. Again, I just wanted to pass this info...just in case. I have felt like I felt a sharp pains in that lower area but I assumed it was gas. I would definitley follow up with OB or midwife.
#3 of 5 Old 01-19-2007, 11:08 PM

I had an ectopic pregnancy last May. I was pregnant for two months without knowing it. I had two light periods during that time. Then at the end of the second period, I got some bright red blood and a bit of cramping on one side. I thought it was just something odd about my period and ignored it, but it didn't go away. After a few days, I took a pregnancy test just to rule that out and got a very faint line. I knew that meant something strange since I had to be at least two months pregnant (based on last possible conception opportunity!). I went to the hospital's walk-in clinic and they got me an ultrasound, where they saw a mass on my ovary. They put me under a general and did surgery the same day to remove it, and my OB confirmed later that it was an ectopic pregnancy. (They thought there was a chance it was just a cyst.) I had had no symptoms until the rupture (what caused the bleeding), which would have tipped me off if I'd known I was pregnant, since I should have had pregnancy symptoms and I didn't.

From what my doctor said, low hcg levels are a strong indication of something being wrong, like an ectopic or a miscarriage in progress. If I were you, I'd check a test strip now if you have one and see how dark the line is, just to get a better idea what's going on immediately. Then get an appointment for an ultrasound as soon as possible, to find out for sure.

I hope you're just having some cramps and nothing is wrong. Good luck!
#4 of 5 Old 01-19-2007, 11:12 PM

I had the same symptoms, and there was a cyst. The follow up was just to check on it. It resolved itself shortly thereafter, as most do. I had the same with a previous pregnancy. Good luck and try not to worry, as difficult as that may be.

4 kids under 10
#5 of 5 Old 01-20-2007, 09:37 PM

I have been having a pinching/sharp pain on my right side too. It didn't hurt as bad at first, but it has gotten worse over the weeks. I think in an eptopic if you are past 8 or 9 weeks the tube would rupture by then, but I would go to your mw or doc to besure. Mine are saying ligament pain, but I don't think that's what it is. I've had 4 kids and know what that feels like...

Single mama to Alex(13), Maddy(12), Sam(8), Violet(6), and Ruby(3). fly-by-nursing1.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page