Ok, this is about the rudest thing I have ever heard... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 24 Old 03-19-2007, 02:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I left my office for a minute this morning to run down the hall for my hourly bathroom break. When I came back I had a client waiting for me in my office. It was an older lady so I said "Sorry, I'm pregnant and had to run to the restroom real quick!"
She responded "Oh, is this your first?"
I said "No, actually this will be my fourth "
She then said "Oh, well you certainly have been busy haven't you! I hope you're done!"
All I could do was just look at her....
She then said "Oh, I meant for your health."
WTH?!
Well, after she left my boss came in and we had a good laugh over it. My boss is really cool and he said that if he would have been there he would have said something like "Nope, as soon as she drops this one, I'm going to put another one in there!"
Just for the record, this isn't my bosses baby.
#2 of 24 Old 03-19-2007, 02:25 PM

Sounds like your boss is so cool!

These are our 3rd/4th and everyone assumes they are our last. Well, yeah, for now... but who knows in 2 or 3 years. It's noone's business!

Missionary, birth-worker, midwifery student
Mama to love.gif DD (9yr), DS luxlove.gif (3yr), & 2twins.gif UC twin DDs (5yr)

#3 of 24 Old 03-19-2007, 02:27 PM

Too bad she was a client, I would have turned to her and said, "are you done now?"

Don't get the health thing, although if I'm blessed with any more surprises, my mental health may suffer: .

I think big families are a blessing!
#4 of 24 Old 03-19-2007, 02:35 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom22girls View Post
Don't get the health thing, although if I'm blessed with any more surprises, my mental health may suffer: .
Yeah, I think I do lose a little bit of my sanity with each one that comes!
#5 of 24 Old 03-19-2007, 03:38 PM

Since I got pregnant WAY sooner than we'd planned (DS was 8 months old), I keep making jokes about how I'll always be pregnant... Such as, my mother is making a quilt for this baby, and she said I'll have to keep it in another 10 months because it'll take her that long to get it done. I said "Ahh, don't worry. In 10 months I'll be pregnant with another one."

She gave me this look like "you've got to be kidding." It was funny. So, I just like to preempt those nasty comments with my own. I like seeing the looks of shock.

So I totally get where your boss is coming from. He sounds like a kick!

D

Danell - Craft Savvy mama to Evan (3/31/06) and Andre (8/29/07)
#6 of 24 Old 03-19-2007, 05:41 PM

Strangely enough, I find that a lot of times the rudest comments come from women who actually regret not having more children and seem to be on a life-long quest to justify their situation.

Blessed Mama to 4 and expecting one more!
#7 of 24 Old 03-19-2007, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beanbean View Post
Strangely enough, I find that a lot of times the rudest comments come from women who actually regret not having more children and seem to be on a life-long quest to justify their situation.
This can be applied to so many things; not breastfeeding, spanking, CIO, circumcision, medicated childbirth...

the rudest comments come from women who actually regret <insert issue> and seem to be on a life-long quest to justify their situation.
#8 of 24 Old 03-19-2007, 10:01 PM

You should see and hear the coments I get because I have 7 children and two on the way. I get the "I hope your done" all the time. My husband always has to say "nope were not to our dozen yet"
The funny thing is that we could a lot of dirty looks when we go into a resturant because our big family just walked in and they don't want a bunch of noisey kids sitting by them. At the end of the dinner we always get some one coming up to us and saying how happy they were that our kids were so quiet and pleasant with such good manners and how scared they were when they seen us walk in. I almost want to say "then don't be quick to judge".

My neighboor made a coment last night to me that made me angry. One of my daughters went over to feed her animals and my other daughter went over to do the same. Then the second daughter that went over after, did not know that the first one went over all ready and came running home saying that some one was in the house. I told her that her sister was over there and she insisted that she wasn't and that she was down stairs. So I called my neighboor to ask if she was home from work early (because she had told me that she might be) and she said no. I then hung up and went over and sure enough it was my other daughter over there. I called back my neighboor and told her what had happened.
My neighboor then said to me "well if you can't keep track of one child how in the heck are you going to keep track on 9"
I was stuned and hurt. She is over 40 never been married and no kids. She is always telling me how she would love kids and when she found out I was having twins her mother told her to ask me if she could have one of them sence I had so many. It was put in a joking way but I knew that she was not joking and niether was her mom. Like I would just give her one of my twins.
She has been a good friend and helped me out a lot of times but I hate when she makes those kind of comments because I know it's jelousy.
Shawnii
#9 of 24 Old 03-20-2007, 08:57 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mothtomany View Post
You should see and hear the coments I get because I have 7 children and two on the way. I get the "I hope your done" all the time. My husband always has to say "nope were not to our dozen yet"
The funny thing is that we could a lot of dirty looks when we go into a resturant because our big family just walked in and they don't want a bunch of noisey kids sitting by them. At the end of the dinner we always get some one coming up to us and saying how happy they were that our kids were so quiet and pleasant with such good manners and how scared they were when they seen us walk in. I almost want to say "then don't be quick to judge".

My neighboor made a coment last night to me that made me angry. One of my daughters went over to feed her animals and my other daughter went over to do the same. Then the second daughter that went over after, did not know that the first one went over all ready and came running home saying that some one was in the house. I told her that her sister was over there and she insisted that she wasn't and that she was down stairs. So I called my neighboor to ask if she was home from work early (because she had told me that she might be) and she said no. I then hung up and went over and sure enough it was my other daughter over there. I called back my neighboor and told her what had happened.
My neighboor then said to me "well if you can't keep track of one child how in the heck are you going to keep track on 9"
I was stuned and hurt. She is over 40 never been married and no kids. She is always telling me how she would love kids and when she found out I was having twins her mother told her to ask me if she could have one of them sence I had so many. It was put in a joking way but I knew that she was not joking and niether was her mom. Like I would just give her one of my twins.
She has been a good friend and helped me out a lot of times but I hate when she makes those kind of comments because I know it's jelousy.
Shawnii
I just want to say how blessed you are to have seven and two more on the way. If there were different circumstances in my life, I would love to have 9 too.
#10 of 24 Old 03-20-2007, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Actually, I notice that with the families of lots of children, the children are much better behaved than families with one or two, I can only guess that it's either a religious upbringing, and/or survival for the parents, you cannot have that many children and have them act out in public!!
#11 of 24 Old 03-21-2007, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom22girls View Post
Actually, I notice that with the families of lots of children, the children are much better behaved than families with one or two, I can only guess that it's either a religious upbringing, and/or survival for the parents, you cannot have that many children and have them act out in public!!
I guess that means I need to have a few more cause mine haven't heard about that not acting out in public thing.

Single mama to Alex(13), Maddy(12), Sam(8), Violet(6), and Ruby(3). fly-by-nursing1.gif
#12 of 24 Old 03-21-2007, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamamoo View Post
I guess that means I need to have a few more cause mine haven't heard about that not acting out in public thing.
Oh my, we certainly have that in common... three for me is apparently not enough, even with two being teens!!
#13 of 24 Old 03-25-2007, 03:59 PM

Man, people can be so rude. I'm sorry you had to hear that. At least you got to laugh about it afterwards.

I just heard one the other day (I'm expecting my second and last one). I was walking with my three-year-old son into an eatery and the guy at the counter says, "why would you have any more children? Don't you think there are enough in this world?" It caught me so off guard. He was so ridiculous, though, and afterwards said his wife wants another baby too, but he doesn't. It was such a crazy reaction when all I had been receiving were "congratulations!" Some people are just bizarre.
#14 of 24 Old 03-25-2007, 04:24 PM

we've been getting a lot of those reactions, too, but we expected a lot of them. a lot of our friends are young, single activist types who see it as cruelty to bring more people into an already crowded and suffering world. i get that, i felt that way before i found out that i was 5 months along with ds. but i want this baby, and i want ds to have a sibling.

family are really questioning our timing with this baby. we're ridiculously low-income, for one thing. there's no way we can afford this child. for another thing, our toddler is having health problems and having another baby is really truly bad timing. but we didn't know about the sickness when we were ttc, so it's a little late to worry about that. and i believe that income shouldn't decide if i have a child or not. one day dh will finish school and i'll be able to go back to work, so we won't always be stuck like we are now.

oh well, they can think what they like. i'm stoked to have this baby!
#15 of 24 Old 03-25-2007, 05:03 PM

some people, I swear! Sounds like you have a pretty cool boss though, and let me tell you it's better to have the occasional ass of a customer and have a decent boss than the other way around.
#16 of 24 Old 03-26-2007, 10:24 PM

Um, okay. I guess its a miracle that my grandmother is alive then because she had 11.
#17 of 24 Old 03-27-2007, 05:29 PM

yeah, this is a really sensitive issue for me because I can't believe how completely brainwashed I was... after we had our second I insisted my dh have a vasectomy because it was just be so horribly wrong and evil of us to have more than two. I hear these sorts of rude comments ALL the time, ALL my life and it positively sunk in, in a big way. Well, we've been very fortunate in that we were able to 'fix' things and are on our 4th now, but with our first post reversal baby we just can't believe how we could've missed out on this wonderful child and how much *fuller* our lives are with more children... and we could've had more! I once saw a signature some mom had that I just fell in-love with -it was, "We're not trying to overpopulate the world, just outnumber the idiots!" on that note, has anyone seen the movie Idiocracy?
#18 of 24 Old 03-30-2007, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagira View Post
Man, people can be so rude. I'm sorry you had to hear that. At least you got to laugh about it afterwards.

I just heard one the other day (I'm expecting my second and last one). I was walking with my three-year-old son into an eatery and the guy at the counter says, "why would you have any more children? Don't you think there are enough in this world?" It caught me so off guard. He was so ridiculous, though, and afterwards said his wife wants another baby too, but he doesn't. It was such a crazy reaction when all I had been receiving were "congratulations!" Some people are just bizarre.
It is part of the brainwashing propaganda we get exposed to: the reason for suffering is shortages due to overpopulation. As an economist, I am pretty certain the shortages are mostly due to bad distribution or productive resources and finished goods.

Not having enough children could be a problem too, like in Japan. People are aging and retiring, and there are not enough people working to produce sufficiently to care for the whole population. If we all decide to skip having children to reduce the population, what happens in 30-50 years when there is nobody to be in the work force making the food we need to eat and the items we need to use?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ygle
yeah, this is a really sensitive issue for me because I can't believe how completely brainwashed I was... after we had our second I insisted my dh have a vasectomy because it was just be so horribly wrong and evil of us to have more than two. I hear these sorts of rude comments ALL the time, ALL my life and it positively sunk in, in a big way. Well, we've been very fortunate in that we were able to 'fix' things and are on our 4th now, but with our first post reversal baby we just can't believe how we could've missed out on this wonderful child and how much *fuller* our lives are with more children... and we could've had more! I once saw a signature some mom had that I just fell in-love with -it was, "We're not trying to overpopulate the world, just outnumber the idiots!" on that note, has anyone seen the movie Idiocracy?
My mother had her tubes tied after the birth of her second.

I am probably not going to have 11 children, but I am certain I can raise top quality human beings. Basically, I will focus on quality over quantity.

Leigh, mama to Rostislav homeborn Aug 9 2007, and Oksana homeborn Feb 24 2011.
#19 of 24 Old 03-30-2007, 05:26 PM

Quote:

Shawnii
I don't understand why people have to be ugly when you're doing them a favor. Tell her that she can feed her own darn animals.
#20 of 24 Old 03-30-2007, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommysusie View Post
If there were different circumstances in my life, I would love to have 9 too.
: I am only on our 2nd, but because I am "only" 21, I get plenty of you're soooooooooo young, are you sure you're ready??? If that WERE an issue, what would I be able to do about it?? : But seeing as how I have been with DH (romanticlly)for 4 years, and we made the choice to have our first a year after we were married, I think I was well aware and prepared for this.
Other rude comments I dislike:
You are SO big!
You are SO small!
Are you sure you are only (enter your gestational age) months?
You look like your gonna pop at any time! (this was said to me when I was 7 months pregnant with DS!)
You are HUGE!

As far as I am concerned, the only things that should ever be said to all of us pregnant godesses is something like:
You look sooooooo beautiful (or amazing, awesome, etc.)!!!!!
Thank you so much!
I wish/hope I look 1/2 as good as you do when I get pregnant!
What a blessing a new baby will be!

*¨`*.✫*¨*.¸¸.✶*¨`*.*¨`*.✫*¨*.¸¸.✶*¨`*.*¨`*.✫*¨*.¸¸.✶*¨`*
*¨`*.✫*¨*.¸¸.✶*¨`*.Jasmine Rae Ojala*¨`*.✫*¨*.¸¸.✶*¨`*
#21 of 24 Old 03-30-2007, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ygle View Post
"We're not trying to overpopulate the world, just outnumber the idiots!" on that note, has anyone seen the movie Idiocracy?
Yes!!!!! I love how erie that movie is.... I watched it with DH, and we were both like, "This is happening RIGHT NOW!!". SCARY!

Go away, I am batin' an eatin' my Super Big *SS Taco!

It's got electrolytes!

*¨`*.✫*¨*.¸¸.✶*¨`*.Jasmine Rae Ojala*¨`*.✫*¨*.¸¸.✶*¨`*
#22 of 24 Old 03-30-2007, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ygle View Post
I once saw a signature some mom had that I just fell in-love with -it was, "We're not trying to overpopulate the world, just outnumber the idiots!" on that note, has anyone seen the movie Idiocracy?
Yes! I saw that movie and it was too close to the truth to be comfortable, you know what I mean? It looks as if that's where the world is headed sometimes. I am all for intelligent, conciencious people raising productive and sensitive kids, as many as they want!! Maybe that sounds like bigotry against idiots, but so be it. The world needs more smart people.
#23 of 24 Old 03-30-2007, 07:24 PM

To reply to the original post. Yes, omg, I can't believe that woman said that to you. People just blurt out whatever crap pops into their heads sometimes. I'm really sorry you had to hear that.
#24 of 24 Old 09-20-2007, 04:35 PM

I just wanted to say THANK you for this topic!! I feel much better after reading these. When my family found out about the triplets comming they said "Oh no, that's horrible" Not because they are multiples, but because that makes 5 kids. I guess I did not get the memo from God stating "Thou shall not have more than 2-3 children" @@

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page