Weekly Thread - April 01 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 59 Old 04-02-2007, 12:30 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Happy April Fools Day everyone!
Was anyone "gotten" today? DH and I usually don't trick each other, but we have had some friends who have gotten us in the past. Today (as of 11:20PM) we seem to be fool free

So, all of us are at, near, or just past the 20 week mark...HALF WAY!!! Wow, the amount of time we have been pregnant is the amount of time we have left before we meet our babes. I am getting super excited, but also freaking out a bit. I feel like DH and I have not really prepared for our little one. I JUST signed up for a birthing class (Birthing from Within) but it doesn't start until June. I started a registry last night, but I am not really quite sure what to put on it (any experienced mamas want to weigh in with their must haves/ very useful/ love it items?! I know all of us first timers will be ever so grateful ). We have done zero work on the baby's room (it still has unpacked boxes and random junk from when we moved in 4 months ago!) and we haven't interviewed (or seriously looked for) a doula yet. Oh! And I haven't done anything official about my maternity leave from work with human resources.

What has everyone else been doing (or what are you freaking out about not having done that you think you should be doing?) now that you have hit the half way point?
#2 of 59 Old 04-02-2007, 12:36 AM

I wasn't gotten today and I wanted to try to get DH, but never had the chance. Ah well!

I can't believe I'm over halfway now. Almost 22 weeks! I made a registry at Target online for friends and family who ask. I haven't bought anything for the baby yet and don't know when I will. I want to start already! I just wonder if it's too early. We're moving across the country next month and I had hoped to buy a lot of of baby stuff before we go and take it with me, but I don't know if I'll get around to it now.

Physically, I'm having a lot of back pain and pain in my lower pelvic area, but overall it isn't too bad. I feel the baby moving around all the time which is nice and reassuring for me. I still throw up every morning though, it's weird.

: Mom to a wonderful teen girl, a happy little boy and a cute baby girl
#3 of 59 Old 04-02-2007, 01:36 AM

I hate this day. No one tried to get us but no one really had the opportunity to either.

Ummm I haven't done anything in order to get ready. I did manage to forget how many weeks I am though. I need to get some covers knitted up and have cast on for one earlier this evening. Not much has gotten done on it though. I went to buy the Poquito Pants pattern the other day since I adore the two I have (they were made as a trade last year) but was sad to see they are no longer available. I'm not sure what I'll do in regards to diapers now. I have teeny tiny babies and will need a good stash of newborn sized diapers. I had originally planned on getting the Poquito Pants pattern and using that for all my diapers. I'd rather have one style diaper and some prefolds. I'm pretty bummed they aren't available anymore.

We plan on getting DD a toddler bed and getting it set up next to ours. We don't want her in her own room but we do need the room in our bed. We have considered a king but it'd be cheaper to do it this way. Although DH mentions upgrading our mattress so much I think he secretly wants to so we can keep DD in bed with us. And to think so many people think we'd hate cosleeping!

I'm feeling ok body wise. I feel the baby all the time. My knees still hurt but not as much as long as I stay hydrated. I know I am bad about drinking water but have been so thirsty lately that I've drank through everything else and I've had to get over it.

DH and I are at a crossroads regarding the birth. He agreed to do it my way () and then last night went back on that so that is still an unsolved portion of everything. Well to him it is.

I posted on the other thread about not feeling full shortly after dinner (still nursing as well and having switched to vegetarian) and got so many votes for nuts that I added a ton to my salad tonight. HUGE difference! For those still not agreeing with food I say snack on nuts..that way you get something good and it only takes about a handful to feel full!

Give more**Expect Less
There is no such thing as bad weather. Only bad clothing.
#4 of 59 Old 04-02-2007, 03:24 AM

Well, since my son just turned one yesterday (we went to the zoo!), I don't have a need for much of anything. I haven't even packed away half the stuff that he's outgrown!

I think around June or July I'll take a trip to Target and stock up on newborn diapers (I'll probably only need one bag though, since I'll have a big baby!), baby tylenol, some new onesies and... umm.... ya know, baby stuff.

I'm not doing a registry, since there won't be a shower. So... yeah, there's not much to 'get.'

I do need to find a doula, and have e-mailed a couple. Once I get into my house (next week, I hope, I hope, I hope) I'll start the interview process. I won't be taking any traditional birthing classes (BTDT), but will probably take a VBAC class.

I'm totally relaxed about this baby. Last time, I was a basket case worrying about, not only the basics like what I'd need, planning, etc... but also the worries of having a baby and being a mom! Now, I know I can handle a baby, and do a pretty damned fine job of it too! DH is much more relaxed now too. We'll probably have 10 more kids at this rate.

Danell - Craft Savvy mama to Evan (3/31/06) and Andre (8/29/07)
#5 of 59 Old 04-02-2007, 04:18 AM

I have an US this week, and am really hoping to find out the gender. Then I can either totally re-haul the closets, or get into storage mode. I've had a wicked case of the "nesting instinct" but my hips are in a lot of pain. I'm really tired too.

Last night I did burgers on the grill. My 3 yo, who has not been eating a lot lately, gobbled her 1/4 lb. burger up!! (I got such a kick that these burgers were labeled 1/4 pounders since we're in Sweden and they go by grams and kilos - McD's has such influence!!) I really should have bought marshmallows because the smell of the grill got me really craving toasted marshmallows!!

I feel small amounts of movement, but usually only at a certain time of day and when I'm in a certain position.

Hope the rest of y'all are well!

ps - dctexan - I didn't "do" dd1's room until she was about 3 months -- dd2's room was done since it was my (and dh) room (very tastefully done, too!).
#6 of 59 Old 04-02-2007, 09:51 AM

From last week (I was trying last night, but I kept getting the error that server was busy):
Quote:
Originally Posted by OtherMother'n'Madre
For those of us eating like crazy: Do you feel full after eating and does it last?
Quote:
Originally Posted by PiePie
i'm the opposite -- i feel full and bloated, almost distended, after eating less than pre-pregnancy.
After eating a little bit, I feel pressure on my esophagus like I overate on Thanksgiving or something. Then, after a little while, I feel hungry again. So, it is clear that I am not eating a lot, and that I must have less capacity now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dctexan
Happy April Fools Day everyone!
Was anyone "gotten" today? DH and I usually don't trick each other, but we have had some friends who have gotten us in the past. Today (as of 11:20PM) we seem to be fool free

So, all of us are at, near, or just past the 20 week mark...HALF WAY!!! Wow, the amount of time we have been pregnant is the amount of time we have left before we meet our babes. I am getting super excited, but also freaking out a bit. I feel like DH and I have not really prepared for our little one. I JUST signed up for a birthing class (Birthing from Within) but it doesn't start until June. I started a registry last night, but I am not really quite sure what to put on it (any experienced mamas want to weigh in with their must haves/ very useful/ love it items?! I know all of us first timers will be ever so grateful ). We have done zero work on the baby's room (it still has unpacked boxes and random junk from when we moved in 4 months ago!) and we haven't interviewed (or seriously looked for) a doula yet. Oh! And I haven't done anything official about my maternity leave from work with human resources.

What has everyone else been doing (or what are you freaking out about not having done that you think you should be doing?) now that you have hit the half way point?
I am not so excited about reaching ONLY the halfway point. It feels like forever already.

Mostly, I am tired of constantly thinking about EATING. I always ate healthy, so I haven't had to watch WHAT i am eating, but I used to skip meals when I was active without worrying. Now, if I don't eat enough, besides worrying that the baby isn't getting what he needs I also have a chance of feeling very dizzy and ill.

Also, I can't watch cooking shows anymore unless I am eating at that time while watching. Otherwise it is torture!

Re: Birthing class
I don't feel like I need a class for birthing. I feel I need one for newborn care, as DH and I have neither held a baby in more than 20 years. I really need to make a move on that.

Re: Registry
I started one more than a month ago. I had a lot of trouble too, because we have very little space, so there isn't much I want. But, I wanted to put in a wide range of prices, so that each person could find about how much they wanted to spend. I had to put on a lot of stuff that is nice, but I don't really want so much. Now I figure they will all get me the stuff I don't really want, and not get the things I do want, because of Murphy's Law.

Re: baby's room
We don't have one! We don't have enough space at all! I have had to figure out what we can fit into our apartment. I managed to make a space in the living room for a changing table/dresser thingie. My father found the most beautiful antique cradle, which can fit along side my bed. When the baby gets too big for that, we can't fit a crib in our room without making it impossible to open and close the door, or to open my dresser drawers. We CAN fit a pack'n'play, so that is what we are getting.

Re: maternity leave
Thank God I quit working before I got pregnant. I don't know how I would have done it! I had a stressful job, and about 3 hours of commuting each day.

Re: other things to take care of
I want to make some preparations for the worst case scenario (hospital transfer for c/s). I need a Durable Medical Power of Attorney for my husband and my mother (because sometimes they declare that even the father is mentally incapable of making decisions due to being too emotional). I need a birthing plan to inform them of my choices. I need to plan what I will pack to bring with me.

Also, I have to figure out when I should get a nursing bra, and which one. I have gone up about half a cup size, and maybe half an inch in the band. Most of that was in the first trimester. As it is now, I don't really need a bra still. I don't know how much more growth to expect, and when, so I don't know when is a good time to buy one. I have heard that most of the ones without underwire are not very supportive, but that underwire can interfere with milk production, especially in first timers. Someone mentioned a soft wired one. Others have recommended sports bras. Any suggestions ladies?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alohamelly
I wasn't gotten today and I wanted to try to get DH, but never had the chance. Ah well!
When we got up, I said to my husband that we should call my parents and tell them that we were going to name the baby Vishayashu. But, we never did. Probably for the best, because the name we think we will really choose will be just as hard to swallow, Rostislav.

3 years ago, my cousin got married without warning on April 1. When he told his mother on the phone, she wouldn't believe him. When they sent pictures she finally believed.

-----

It appears cloth diapering is going to be a problem for us. We can't get a diaper service to come where we live, even if we pay extra. We don't have the capacity to wash that much stuff. We aren't supposed to have a washer at all, by our lease. We have a small one that we roll into the kitchen and hook up to the sink. We dry things on a line outside. So, our laundry capabilities are very limited by weather and the other things we need he kitchen for, and the amount of hot water in our tiny water heater. Unfortunately, the nearest laundromat is about half an hour walk on a steep hill. The sidewalks are in horrible disrepair, so it is a big fight to do it with my cart. I can't imagine doing that several times a week with a small baby. When the weather gets icy next winter, it will be almost impossible.

My MIL wants to buy all our sposies. I figure we will let her. I've got to let her do SOMETHING she wants to do. She feels so left out already. If the baby has a really bad problem with sposies, my father said he could drive here once per week and get them and wash them however they are supposed to be washed. So, I would need to buy 2 weeks worth of diapers or more. My mother is concerned about what would happen when my father is not here, though, because he spends about 6 months of the year, normally, at their country house which he is building by himself.

------

I don't think we are going to go with a doula because of the expense. I happened to learn that my MW was a doula for a decade. I am sure if she sees something we could do to improve my comfort dramatically, she won't keep her mouth shut.

Leigh, mama to Rostislav homeborn Aug 9 2007, and Oksana homeborn Feb 24 2011.
#7 of 59 Old 04-02-2007, 10:23 AM

I haven't been keeping up with this DDC at all. My life starts to get really busy in the springtime. I am freaking out slightly about all that "needs" to be done before the baby is here, but actually most of it isn't even baby related. We have a small farm and market garden and spring and summer are very busy for us, with planting/harvesting, new animals, etc, PLUS we are trying to rehabilitate an old barn and do some room renovations in our house. I also have a lot of doula clients due in the early summer. Just a lot going on in general.
We don't feel we need much for the baby. Cloth diapers, some clothes, blankets, etc, and my boobs! I am getting sort of stressed dealing with my family, my sister mainly (who has one child already) b/c they are giving me a hard time about not having stuff already, like we're being irresponsible, and they totally do not understand co sleeping or AP. I am thinking of doing one of the registries where you can add stuff from anywhere, to give people an idea of what we would like, so we don't get a million pacifiers or plastic electric toys. (Why do people give newborns toys like that anyway?)
This little one is really moving around a lot, seems like at all times of the day. I've been waking up around 4:30am to major movement this past week.
I am finally starting to show a bit, although still don't really look especially pregnant. I've been feeling great---doing lots of hiking and walking and yoga., and haven't had any physical discomfort yet, aside from feeling really sweaty all the time. DOes anyone else have this problem? It's like the sweat glands in my armpits are on overdrive all the time!
#8 of 59 Old 04-02-2007, 10:57 AM

Every day is April Fool's Day around here so here was no real difference yesterday.

I haven't done anyhting yet to prepare for this baby but there really isn't much for me to do. I want to make and order diapers but I have time for that. I don't really need much in the way of baby stuff and the baby will sleep in my room so no nursery to put together. I guess the biggest thing right now, that I should do soon, is get dd into a bed. She's still in the crib and very happy there. DS was out of the crib as soon as he turned two because he found a way to bounce himself out. I'm hoping dd transitions easily.

Everything here has been ok so far. I haven't had any issues with my heart lately. I really think drinking the extra water and taking magnesium have made a huge difference. I had an us last week at the emerg. (see my previous post on that one) and the baby looked good but the tech wouldn't tell me much about the baby because she was just looking at my ovaries and cervix, which were fine. I have a level 2 us next week though so I'll probably ask if they can see the gender but what ever they say will be taken with a grain of salt.
#9 of 59 Old 04-02-2007, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Spotlight on Cujobunny

Okay, well, I guess I'm going to have to send reminders out to everyone the day before they are supposed to start the Spotlight on thread.

Cujobunny, sorry for the delay in getting the spotlight on you today!

OK. I just realized I was the idiot.... way back on March 5. I was supposed to do the spotlight and not only did I not realize it but when I read that I thought "Yeah! Do your job"
OOPS
#10 of 59 Old 04-02-2007, 02:21 PM

I'm a big fat liar.

Last night after I posted that I felt fine I realized I had for the last few days and then crawled into bed. My hips are out so even rolling over in bed can cause a radiating pain shoot through my lower back/but/hip area. They are out enough (which isn't the problem) that they are pinching a nerve somewhere. Sleeping is painful and until last night I had taken it for granted that it hadn't happened for a couple days. It usually lasts for two or three and then goes away for one or two. I've asked DH to pop my hips since he knows how but he told me he wasn't comfy doing it on my pregnant with a pinched nerve already. We are working on finding a place to get me into and I hope it happens soon! I woke up this morning with my entire lower back hard as a rock from holding it tight all night. That's the only way I can roll over..if I relax my muscles it's worse and stops me dead in my tracks.

Give more**Expect Less
There is no such thing as bad weather. Only bad clothing.
#11 of 59 Old 04-02-2007, 03:11 PM

Leigh, for your newborn care course, consider www.realbirth.com That's where DH and I will be taking ours. We haven't booked it yet, but I am thinking July. For nursing bras, I am planning on going to the Upper Breast Side.

we are also going to try to fit the baby into our 1 BR apt. Frankly, I do not love the situation. We desperately need to clean and declutter!! Unfortunately my DH is profoundly resistant to decluttering!!
#12 of 59 Old 04-02-2007, 05:25 PM

PiePie, that would be great! I would love to meet you there!

btw, my husband wants to know what kind of pie prompted your username.

#13 of 59 Old 04-02-2007, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OtherMother'n'Madre View Post
I'm a big fat liar.

Last night after I posted that I felt fine I realized I had for the last few days and then crawled into bed. My hips are out so even rolling over in bed can cause a radiating pain shoot through my lower back/but/hip area. They are out enough (which isn't the problem) that they are pinching a nerve somewhere. Sleeping is painful and until last night I had taken it for granted that it hadn't happened for a couple days. It usually lasts for two or three and then goes away for one or two. I've asked DH to pop my hips since he knows how but he told me he wasn't comfy doing it on my pregnant with a pinched nerve already. We are working on finding a place to get me into and I hope it happens soon! I woke up this morning with my entire lower back hard as a rock from holding it tight all night. That's the only way I can roll over..if I relax my muscles it's worse and stops me dead in my tracks.
This is EXACTLY what I am going through with my back. I should take a pic of the stairs I have to go up and down to get to my bed too(not sure wth I am going to do when I get further along). I am goign to try to find a chiropractor in the next couple of days that will hopefully take pity on me and lower the rates while I'm pregnant. I am in PAIN.

Things are going good here considering. I am working on decluttering, and cleaning here and there, but the back thing really puts a damper on things.I have the motivation to get lots done, but the physical part holds me back.

I have tons of cloth diapers for the baby, just need soem infant prefolds and to pay on my custom order for the rest of the fitteds I'm getting(KHW YAY!), and I am ordering a whole bunch of mama pads for myself for post partum. This will be the first time I get to use real mama pads. I used doublers and prefolds the last two times.

No jokes for april fools here, my normal joke(i'm pregnant) is true, so couldn't use that. LOL My kids did the you have a bug/spider on your head thing about 1001 times though, that was fun.

Intake appt for counseling today, went pretty well...hoping to get some marriage counseling and get hubby back in teh home within 6 months or so. Things are goign good now betweem us, and I hope it stays that way.

Feeling lots more kicks and stuff lately which I am so grateful for. I was worried for a while but not so much anymore. I think I am going to skip the us I have scheduled for next week...too tempting to find out the gender and I don't really need it anyway.

Zat it all for now...

Single mama to Alex(13), Maddy(12), Sam(8), Violet(6), and Ruby(3). fly-by-nursing1.gif
#14 of 59 Old 04-02-2007, 07:26 PM

Just joining in here I'm so excited to be past the half-way mark! I can't believe it. Time seems to be going so much faster this time than when I was pg with Silas. : You guys are talking about buying baby stuff and getting rooms fixed up etc..... I haven't really even thought of doing anything! I don't think there is that much I'm going to need to do except move our bed. But that would take all of 3 minutes Oh...l and I'll have to get DS's clothes down from the attic and get them ready for the new babe. We are going to wait to find out the gender until the babe is born, so I feel like there is not much point in buying clothes yet. Being August he or she probably won't be wearing much anyway.... just hanging out in the sling with me
I would like to get a couple more slings and an Ergo. : They are so expensive.... so I am secretly hoping we will get one as a gift... I haven't started a registry, cause other than that I really can't think of anything we will need. DS is just 16mo, so we've got all his gear around still.
I do need some maternity clothes now, though.... I'm busting the seams! My maternity clothes with DS are all wintery..... so I need summer stuff this time. Time to go shopping!! When is that tax return coming??
Baby is a mover! It is so exciting to feel him/her! I love laying in bed in the morning (the most active time) and connecting to this new little person while DH takes care of DS.
Anyway..... gonna go lay on the couch and read..... I am soooo tired these days!! Between chasing a toddler and being pg I am wiped out! I can't imagine having more than one child right now! Hats off to you ladies who do!

Ronna
#15 of 59 Old 04-02-2007, 08:24 PM

[QUOTE=mamamoo;7731868Intake appt for counseling today, went pretty well...[/QUOTE]

I'm very happy for you.
#16 of 59 Old 04-02-2007, 08:26 PM

Thanks.

Single mama to Alex(13), Maddy(12), Sam(8), Violet(6), and Ruby(3). fly-by-nursing1.gif
#17 of 59 Old 04-02-2007, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Lilya View Post
PiePie, that would be great! I would love to meet you there!

btw, my husband wants to know what kind of pie prompted your username.

yes, let's meet up. my username derives from dh's nickname for me, "sweetiepie," which turned into "piepie." i'm not even a big pie person (i would prefer ice cream any day...) but i think it's cute.
#18 of 59 Old 04-02-2007, 08:38 PM

Hmmmmm. Ice cream.

I am going to go make some. (I love my ice cream maker!)

#19 of 59 Old 04-02-2007, 09:25 PM

Well let's see. I agree with whoever it was who said that the Spring has been busy! I had a friend have her baby two weeks ago and he was in NICU for a while and is now home. She then got a Kidney infection from having been catheterized (sp?) during the birth, and was IV antibiotics, so now the baby has diaper rash. :

Anyway, at the same time, we're looking at buying a mini-home for July, which would mean giving notice at our apt, by the end of the month. The crunch is on! At the same time DF is having lots of interviews for jobs, but no responses yet. (Keep your fingers crossed for us, we could really use some more money, especially once I'm on Mat leave!)

Baby wise I'm very happy to be halfway! Although I'm not really considering it halfway til the end of this week, as I'll be 22 weeks then. ( I really expect to go overdue and don't want to be dying with impatience by the end)

As I posted we are taking "birthing classes" which include newborn care for free through the hosipital and will have three private one on one Lamaze based classes with our Doula. (She's Lamaze trained) I don't really expect to learn anything at the classes, as I work in childcare and at one point nannied for a family with infants a year apart, and DF's older sister left him (then 13) in charge of her first baby quite frequently.

The cutest thing lately is DF's attachment to my friend's new baby. We go to visit them and he won't put the baby down! I may be fighting him for feedings! (Although I'm sure it will be different when it's our own.)

The baby is getting quite active and strong! I'm surprised how quickly we moved from little gently flicks to big strong movements. Anyone else find this, or is it a first time should have paid more attention kind of thing? I'm noticing that my belly is getting heavier, and I'm also having back pain. I'm also noticing that I'm late for things more, as I can't walk as fast as I am used to!

Sorry for ranting so long, but with my closest friend on "babymoon" I don't really have anyone else to tell all this too!

Sarahknit.gifmarried to Kylehopmad.gif Mama to Orion  bouncy.gif08/07 and introducing Alice! babygirl.gif 02/11
DCP to 1 busy munchkin! and a CRST too!

#20 of 59 Old 04-02-2007, 09:45 PM

The biggest thing that I have noticed this week (and the past few weeks) is that I just keep feeling more and more uncomfortable, and I still have so far to go with so much more baby to grow...I am only going to get bigger~ I have been trying to be really attentive to what I am eating so that I am not gaining too much. I am also really trying to get on track with my exercising..I have been walking mostly every day since early on, and doing yoga in the a.m....but I know I need MORE if I am going to get through this without major discomfort..so I added more walking today and I walked a total of 2.5 miles. It felt sooo good!

We had our second ultrasound today (they couldn't see the kidneys or the spine very well at first one and I worry..so..the 2nd ultrasound). The tech said that she was pretty sure she saw actual girl parts (as opposed to just "no boy parts" at the first one) and she showed me...looked like girl parts to me ...but I still do not trust it so no telling anyone IRL

In terms of baby stuff...we don't really need or want all that much (I don't have anything left from the first two, but I don't really use all that much "baby stuff" anyway (compared to the obscene list of THINGS that babies r us tells you that you NEED!). Mostly clothes and my cloth diaper stash..which my mom is going to get a big chunk of for us .. We did register, since we need basic things like a car seat...but it was kind of hard to get much on there...I think it is enough though and if we get most of it we will be all set...

Still have no idea what to do about the sleeping situation..I am still leaning toward a king size bed..but I just don't know. We will see....

Maternity leave....I don't really need to do anything about it until early summer, and then I just have to fill out some form I guess. I can not wait for my leave...right in the middle of summer and a new baby to enjoy it with!

I think that is about it....
#21 of 59 Old 04-03-2007, 04:44 AM

23 weeks for me! i also can't believe we are in the downward stretch, but then again it still seems so far off! i keep looking at the calendar and trying to see how many more weeks until my final trimester and what 'month' i am in...with all of my family and friends in the US i have to keep them all posted with a blog, emails and flickr pictures so i am really aware of where i am and where i still have to go!

being our first baby i have done loads of research into exactly what we need and what i want. friends in the states keeping giving me their recommendations, but they don't realize that some of the things they couldn't live without aren't available for me here. i have a small list on this website called thethingsiwant.com (it lets you choose different stuff from different webpages so your registry isn't just one store) for anyone who wants to buy me stuff, but from what my dh says they just don't do babyshowers here in scotland. weird, for all the ones i had to attend in the past, i wanted to put people through all those really annoying and dumb games!

we have bought some clothes (we went to paris for a few days and i couldn't resist!) and i know my MIL has a huge bag full of things. we haven't bought any big items, although i did buy my sling online last night! so excited about that! we are in the middle of replacing the bannister to our stairs and replastering and painting the hallway, so until that is done there will be no forward movement on the baby's room.

i got into this HUGE discussion with my mom over where the baby should sleep. my mom is fairly progressive for 63, but she doesn't understand cosleeping or even having the baby in our room (we are still undecided as to where the baby will be, but it will be in our small bedroom). she will be here for 6 weeks over the summer and will pretty much be acting as my doula around the house. so i am a little worried about her non-AP views. i guess when she gets here (about 2 weeks before my due date) i will give her some of my books to browse through so she knows where me and dh are coming from. she is hip to new ideas and i think once she understands better she will be very supportive.

as for my MIL, she is totally old-school about baby care, but my husband has dealt with her and explained to her about what we plan to do care wise. she is one of those women who will not say anything to me about it, but i know that she is hanging with her church friends talking about 'my strange american ideas of baby rearing'! this is the woman that told my husband that she will be taking the baby to church (she is catholic and we are not) with her whether we liked it or not! don't think so! i see problems in our future!

no hip or back pain for me so far. i have been doing yoga, taking long walks and riding the stationary bike at the gym. i gave up running in my 3rd month because of nausea and i can't wait to have the baby and get back to it.
#22 of 59 Old 04-03-2007, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quetinha View Post
OK. I just realized I was the idiot.... way back on March 5. I was supposed to do the spotlight and not only did I not realize it but when I read that I thought "Yeah! Do your job"
OOPS

I'm 22 wks now. I am also feeling somewhat uncomfortable, pubic bone pain mostly. Feeling lots of movement so that's exciting. I can't believe we're halfway either. This pregnancy is different from my first, I'm enjoying it a lot more. I loved being pregnant the first time around but I was so excited to be having a baby, I couldn't wait to have him out! This time there is much less sense of urgency to get the baby out to be able to hold it

Trying to figure out if I'm still going to keep nursing ds... he only nurses once a day and that is to put him to sleep at night. I don't think there's any way I can put him to sleep at night without the boob, I think dh would have to take over for a while but he works weird hours and isn't always home at ds' bedtime. So whatever, I can continue on for now, I may end up doing some version of tandem nursing. If ds isn't ready to totally wean, I guess I'm cool with that. I just want to avoid the jealousy if possible, and I don't really want him to want to nurse more as time goes on. I guess I'm just wishing that he would wean himself soon

We don't need too much for baby, I kept a lot of ds' clothes and I went through them on the weekend. I can't believe how small he was! Most of them I think I'll be able to use, although he was born in the winter so I have lots of warm fuzzy newborn sleepers that I don't think will be much use to our little girl born in August... oh well, I'll keep them anyway, they may still fit her when it gets cool in Oct or so. Luckily dh and I are not averse to a little girl wearing blue

I also still have his bassinette and carriers and all the gear. I think my mom is planning on throwing a shower, so maybe some little gowns and stuff and diapers. I bet I'll end up with a lot of pink

Ds loves to rub my belly and kiss it and hug it.. he calls it the baby. On the weekend he was rubbing it and said "The baby has hair!"... how embarassing, he was talking about the hair on my belly..

Amanda - wife to DH Kellyjog.gif, Mummers to Trentreading.gif born 03/03/05 Bridgetdust.gif born 08/08/07 and a IT'S A BOY! Kennedy babyboy.gifborn 02/20/11!
#23 of 59 Old 04-03-2007, 01:18 PM

Lady Lilya:
Quote:
Re: Registry
I started one more than a month ago. I had a lot of trouble too, because we have very little space, so there isn't much I want. But, I wanted to put in a wide range of prices, so that each person could find about how much they wanted to spend. I had to put on a lot of stuff that is nice, but I don't really want so much. Now I figure they will all get me the stuff I don't really want, and not get the things I do want, because of Murphy's Law.

Re: baby's room
We don't have one! We don't have enough space at all! I have had to figure out what we can fit into our apartment. I managed to make a space in the living room for a changing table/dresser thingie. My father found the most beautiful antique cradle, which can fit along side my bed. When the baby gets too big for that, we can't fit a crib in our room without making it impossible to open and close the door, or to open my dresser drawers. We CAN fit a pack'n'play, so that is what we are getting.

Also, I have to figure out when I should get a nursing bra, and which one. I have gone up about half a cup size, and maybe half an inch in the band. Most of that was in the first trimester. As it is now, I don't really need a bra still. I don't know how much more growth to expect, and when, so I don't know when is a good time to buy one. I have heard that most of the ones without underwire are not very supportive, but that underwire can interfere with milk production, especially in first timers. Someone mentioned a soft wired one. Others have recommended sports bras. Any suggestions ladies?
-----

It appears cloth diapering is going to be a problem for us. We can't get a diaper service to come where we live, even if we pay extra. We don't have the capacity to wash that much stuff. We aren't supposed to have a washer at all, by our lease. We have a small one that we roll into the kitchen and hook up to the sink. We dry things on a line outside. So, our laundry capabilities are very limited by weather and the other things we need he kitchen for, and the amount of hot water in our tiny water heater. Unfortunately, the nearest laundromat is about half an hour walk on a steep hill. The sidewalks are in horrible disrepair, so it is a big fight to do it with my cart. I can't imagine doing that several times a week with a small baby. When the weather gets icy next winter, it will be almost impossible.

My MIL wants to buy all our sposies. I figure we will let her. I've got to let her do SOMETHING she wants to do. She feels so left out already. If the baby has a really bad problem with sposies, my father said he could drive here once per week and get them and wash them however they are supposed to be washed. So, I would need to buy 2 weeks worth of diapers or more. My mother is concerned about what would happen when my father is not here, though, because he spends about 6 months of the year, normally, at their country house which he is building by himself.
registry: the great thing about most gifts is that they come with reciepts. and if they don't, there's always ebay! i'm finally getting around to ebaying all the unwanted crap we were given for ds. we need room for all that unwanted crap people will give us for this new baby!

baby's room: try taking your bed off its legs and boxspring and piling up blankets beside it to make a little nest for the baby. or have baby in bed with you. ds is 18 mos and for the first year he shared our double bed with us. since he's gotten to big & wiggly i've had him on the floor next to us, but the floor is only a few inches below me so it's easy peasy. plus there's no way to get hurt falling out of bed. having a mattress on the floor doesn't look so classy, but it works.

dipes: check out gdiapers. google it, they look great. your mil could buy you those. she'd be happy because they're cheaper than sposies, you'd be happy because they aren't sposies, exactly, and the planet would be happy.

nursing bra: wait until a couple of days after the baby is born. first your milk will come in and you'll be so engorged you'll think the skin on your breasts is going to split open. after your engorgement passes you'll be your new bra size. i bought a nursing bra before the birth and ended up exchanging it.
#24 of 59 Old 04-03-2007, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by josybear
baby's room: try taking your bed off its legs and boxspring and piling up blankets beside it to make a little nest for the baby. or have baby in bed with you. ds is 18 mos and for the first year he shared our double bed with us. since he's gotten to big & wiggly i've had him on the floor next to us, but the floor is only a few inches below me so it's easy peasy. plus there's no way to get hurt falling out of bed. having a mattress on the floor doesn't look so classy, but it works.
Under the bed is my main storage space, so I can't really put it on the floor.

I plan to give the baby the option of sleeping with us. But, I won't assume he will want to. When I was a baby I preferred to sleep alone. We will see.

We will only be in this apartment until he is about 6 months old. Then, when our lease expires, we plan to look for a larger place.

Quote:
dipes: check out gdiapers. google it, they look great. your mil could buy you those. she'd be happy because they're cheaper than sposies, you'd be happy because they aren't sposies, exactly, and the planet would be happy.
Awesome! I just added this to my registry! My husband thinks it is awesome too! We watched all the videos on their website.

Quote:
nursing bra: wait until a couple of days after the baby is born. first your milk will come in and you'll be so engorged you'll think the skin on your breasts is going to split open. after your engorgement passes you'll be your new bra size. i bought a nursing bra before the birth and ended up exchanging it.
Thanks. This makes sense. I was hoping to not have to leave the house for a while after the birth.

#25 of 59 Old 04-03-2007, 07:27 PM

[QUOTE=Twinklefae;7734227]
Anyway, at the same time, we're looking at buying a mini-home for July, which would mean giving notice at our apt, by the end of the month. The crunch is on! At the same time DF is having lots of interviews for jobs, but no responses yet. (Keep your fingers crossed for us, we could really use some more money, especially once I'm on Mat leave!)

QUOTE]

You would move before the baby? Interesting. Not sure if it would be harder to manage in the 3rd or the 4th trimester. We need to move to a bigger place eventually, but I'm thinking when the baby is 5 months or so.
#26 of 59 Old 04-03-2007, 07:34 PM

Quote:
We will only be in this apartment until he is about 6 months old. Then, when our lease expires, we plan to look for a larger place.

We (well, I -- DH is still not on board : ) plan on moving around the same time. MY plan is to buy a place... Right now we are in a 1 BR. I have some guilt about not having a nursery, that cause celebre of the infant industrial complex and the expected focus of all pre-maternal nesting instincts. I am jealous of my friend, who just got her BFP and just bought a 2 BR -- she and her DH are busily plotting nursery decorations. My DH doesn't get why I feel that way, since even if we had a 2 BR we would have the baby sleeping with us. I guess I am very aware of everything we can't give our baby financially, whereas DH lives in a bubble where he doesn't even know that babies are supposed to have a nursery or a place to be changed, so he doesn't sense that anything is missing.
#27 of 59 Old 04-03-2007, 08:44 PM

Well for the record, I don't think babies need that stuff. The parents may want it, but babies need a safe home, mama milk, and a warm body to sleep with, clean diapers, and they are happy. I can see how it would be easy to be a little jealous of that stuff your friend gets to do, but really imagine how happy your baby will be snuggled in next to you.

#28 of 59 Old 04-03-2007, 09:35 PM

I've heard some of the rude comments, but this one to me was the worst... and from my husband. I bought a pair of jeans over the weekend and wore them today. We were out walking and I said I really love these jeans, they're more comfortable than I thought they would be. He asks "What size are they?" I answered before I could even compute the question - I've been a size 12, but they are size 14, and I told him Target is the only place I know that sells "sizes". Then he says "Well they're just your pregnant jeans, not your regular jeans, right?" I just looked at him and said "Thanks for calling me a fatass". We finished our hike, practiced some ball with my son - but I haven't spoken to him and don't care if I ever do.
#29 of 59 Old 04-03-2007, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiePie View Post
We (well, I -- DH is still not on board : ) plan on moving around the same time. MY plan is to buy a place... Right now we are in a 1 BR. I have some guilt about not having a nursery, that cause celebre of the infant industrial complex and the expected focus of all pre-maternal nesting instincts. I am jealous of my friend, who just got her BFP and just bought a 2 BR -- she and her DH are busily plotting nursery decorations. My DH doesn't get why I feel that way, since even if we had a 2 BR we would have the baby sleeping with us. I guess I am very aware of everything we can't give our baby financially, whereas DH lives in a bubble where he doesn't even know that babies are supposed to have a nursery or a place to be changed, so he doesn't sense that anything is missing.
I figure that even if the baby is sleeping with us, he should still have his own space devoted to him, and his own stuff in that space.

I'm going to be keeping some of my clothes in large tupperwares under the bed, so I can use part of my dresser for some baby stuff. I already re-designed the storage method under the bed so that the stuff that is longer term is against the side where the cradle will be, and stuff I need access to is against my husband's side. I got the tupperwares and they are under there. But, I ran out of impetus and haven't transferred my stuff to it.

I really should do that, because the dresser could use some repairs. It is best to do that while it is emptier.

I ran out of impetus on several things. That is a good question: What projects do you have that you were planning to do, but got interrupted by not feeling up to it?

Several weeks ago, we went through the stuff on our book shelves to get rid of some and make space, because the shelves were overflowing. Now there is plenty of room, but I still haven't re-organized it. I want to take all the books off and dust them, remove the shelf liner (I don't think i have liked it the entire 3 years it has been there) and then re-organize the books by type.

I also need to defrost the freezer. I haven't done that in so long I don't even remember how. Do you unplug it first?

I have been meaning to give a thorough washing to the outside of all the cabinets in the kitchen. They have an oily layer on them.

Instead of filing papers into our filing cabinet individually, I build them up in a stack until it gets to be around a certain size and then file them. The stack is about twice as large as it usually gets.

Reading over this list of things I haven't done yet sounds like I have been really lazy. But, I have accomplished a lot too. We completely re-organized the furniture and storage in the kitchen so we could have more space, and more optimally utilize the space. Also, I spent 4 hours on Thursday, 2 hours on Friday, and another 3 hours today on doing stuff in the garden. I have cooked a nutritious dinner every day from scratch, and packed lunch for both my husband and myself. I haven't been a lazy slob. Yet still I do feel like I have been not as productive as I would like to be.

#30 of 59 Old 04-03-2007, 11:36 PM

I feel like a real pregnant lady now -- today I sneezed and peed my pants!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page