Placenta at the back - what does it mean? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 04-07-2007, 02:37 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The US technician was very specific in telling me this - and since we were pressed for time, and I didn't want to exhaust her English, I didn't ask. Anyone have a clue? Does it stay there for the entire pregnancy? I'm woefully uninformed about this!

Thanks!
#2 of 14 Old 04-07-2007, 02:56 AM

I'm sure that someone else knows more about this than I do... but from what I understand, you're probably gonna get a lot of those comments "are you sure it's not twins?!" You'll be showing a lot.

Other than that... I don't think it's a big deal.

Danell - Craft Savvy mama to Evan (3/31/06) and Andre (8/29/07)
#3 of 14 Old 04-07-2007, 11:37 AM

I've had 2 placentas in the back and this is my second front. I could have this wrong, but front placentas (so not yours) have a slightly larger chance of making baby birth in a sunny side up position, and back placentas make it easier for babe to come out in the best position. Also you will likely feel harder kicks. I don't think it's a problem either way.

Lisa, mom to M : 6/02, R : 6/04, m/c 6/8/05, L 6/06, and E 8/07
#4 of 14 Old 04-07-2007, 11:41 AM

Yes, about the less of a tendency for a posterior baby with a posterior placenta. Babies often face their placentas.
Also, early in pregnancy, it makes finding the baby with the doptone easier. Sometimes the sounds get muffled when the placenta is anterior.
#5 of 14 Old 04-07-2007, 05:29 PM

Congratulations. With a placenta in the back, you have a much reduced chance of having back labor.

Leigh, mama to Rostislav homeborn Aug 9 2007, and Oksana homeborn Feb 24 2011.
#6 of 14 Old 04-07-2007, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Lilya View Post
Congratulations. With a placenta in the back, you have a much reduced chance of having back labor.
for you!

: for me. I didn't know that. And I have an anterior placenta.

4 kids under 10
#7 of 14 Old 04-07-2007, 09:28 PM

oh sangunie, really, don't worry about it. It's just a trend, not a definite. Both my babies had anterior placentas - my first (9 pounds, 6 oz) I had a wicked back labor and he eventually turned and birthed just fine. My second I had no problems, no back labor, depsite the anterior placenta.
#8 of 14 Old 04-07-2007, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden View Post
oh sangunie, really, don't worry about it. It's just a trend, not a definite. Both my babies had anterior placentas - my first (9 pounds, 6 oz) I had a wicked back labor and he eventually turned and birthed just fine. My second I had no problems, no back labor, depsite the anterior placenta.
Thanks. I'm a bit sensitive about this stuff; I have had 2 very difficult births and am being forced to deal right now as I have a 3rd (hopefully better) birth coming before long. I appreciate the reassurance.

4 kids under 10
#9 of 14 Old 04-07-2007, 09:57 PM

Oh , I didn't mean to worry you.
Have you seen the Spinning Babies site? There is a bunch of good info of getting and keeping babies in the optimal fetal position prenatally and during labor.
#10 of 14 Old 04-08-2007, 02:44 AM - Thread Starter

: My placenta position is totally wasted on me, apparently, since I will be having a c/s... I do think it's probably good in that, it won't be adhering to my scar tissue - which would be in the front - or is that still possible. Geeze, I know so little of this type of information - anyone have any book or (better) website info that would be helpful?

Also, was having kicks/movement low-down thus far but this morning, lying in bed on my back, there was a distinct knocking on my belly-button. Weird...
#11 of 14 Old 04-08-2007, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanguine_speed View Post
Thanks. I'm a bit sensitive about this stuff; I have had 2 very difficult births and am being forced to deal right now as I have a 3rd (hopefully better) birth coming before long. I appreciate the reassurance.
What I have read is that you should walk around on all 4s as much as possible in the last 6 weeks to assist the baby in being facing the right way. Also, sit with your knees lower than your pelvis. If the baby is facing front instead of back, avoid squatting until you get him turned around. Once he is facing back, squat a lot to lock him in.

#12 of 14 Old 04-08-2007, 01:08 PM

a posterior placenta means nothing. it is simply just a placement of the placenta in the uterus. most U/S tech tell you were it is so you dont have to worry about previa or it being low-lying. i am interested to see where the information has been obtained indicating that a posterior placenta means your baby will be delivered face down. i would love to read this b/c i have never heard of such a thing. anterior placenta and posterior placenta are good.
#13 of 14 Old 04-09-2007, 09:47 AM

I didn't say that it definitely meant back labor. I just read something last week about Optimal Fetal Positioning, I don't remember exactly where, that claimed there was a correlation between a placenta formed on the front and a higher rate of back labor. It also said that the vast majority of the time, the baby will turn before being delivered, but that adds some time to the labor. It said on rare occasion the baby will be born in that reverse position, but is not necessarily going to be harmed by this.

#14 of 14 Old 04-10-2007, 02:14 PM

I asked my ultrasound tech yesterday where my placenta is and she said it is in the back. I asked what that meant and she said absolutely nothing.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page