Lying on left side - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 05-05-2007, 03:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ok, isn't lying on your left side supposed to be GOOD for your circulation? This last week, everytime I sleep on my left side, my left leg falls asleep. So, I've been having to sleep on my right side. I have no problems on my right side. It seems weird to me. It's sort of a pain because I have to lie on my left side to nurse dd at night. Then I have to turn my back to her to fall asleep. But I can't fall asleep until the numbness in my left leg subsides. Strange.
#2 of 10 Old 05-05-2007, 03:45 PM

Just jumping in here from July (I saw it on the new posts for DDCs...). My dh has done a lot of reading about this sort of thing and he says that blood circulation is much better if you lie on your right side. When you lie on your left side, your heart has to pump the blood uphill so it's more likely to pool on your side. I prefer to sleep on my left side normally (or on my belly), but when I'm pregnant I have to sleep on my right

Basically, if you're comfortable the way that you're sleeping then it's probably just fine

love and peace.

mama to two girls and due in November!
: Circumcision can never be undone :
#3 of 10 Old 05-05-2007, 08:04 PM
PPK

I'm glad to read this. I always slept on my back or tummy and now flip-flop all night trying to get comfy on L or R side. Sleeping on my right side always felt better to me for the reasons you just mentioned. Plus, I thought it was better for your digestion, and also it's more relaxing because it helps to open your left nostril which is more calming to breathe out of ( a yogic thing). But I try to get it equalled out to both sides.
#4 of 10 Old 05-05-2007, 10:16 PM

It seems like every night when I lie down on my left side, I have trouble breathing. I haven't been able to figure out why until now. I always feel more comfortable when I lie on my right side.
Thanks for posting this!
#5 of 10 Old 05-05-2007, 10:20 PM

I've always slept on my left side, but for the past few months, if I do, my let arm falls asleep. Kinda frustrating.

Sarahknit.gifmarried to Kylehopmad.gif Mama to Orion  bouncy.gif08/07 and introducing Alice! babygirl.gif 02/11
DCP to 1 busy munchkin! and a CRST too!

#6 of 10 Old 05-06-2007, 03:47 PM

I switch between my left and right. I try to sleep on my left more often though since that's what all the books say to do. But when I sleep on my left, my heart beats harder if that makes sense. It's kinda freaky.

: Mom to a wonderful teen girl, a happy little boy and a cute baby girl
#7 of 10 Old 05-06-2007, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alohamelly View Post
I switch between my left and right. I try to sleep on my left more often though since that's what all the books say to do. But when I sleep on my left, my heart beats harder if that makes sense. It's kinda freaky.
It makes perfect sense. Mine does that too.
#8 of 10 Old 05-06-2007, 07:47 PM - Thread Starter

Well, it's good to know that I'm not alone. I also feel my heart beat harder when I lie on my left. That makes sense about your heart having to pump uphill. No wonder!
#9 of 10 Old 05-06-2007, 08:23 PM

It may be pumping up hill, but it flows better into the uterus that way from what i understand.

me, dh and 2 boys = our family (oh and a cat...who is also a male...lol)
#10 of 10 Old 05-06-2007, 11:32 PM

interesting, i have been sleeping on my right side too. My left leg falls asleep if I sleep on it, or on my back.

Single mama to Alex(13), Maddy(12), Sam(8), Violet(6), and Ruby(3). fly-by-nursing1.gif

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page