Restless Legs--Suggestions for Relief? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 31 Old 05-29-2007, 04:12 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Auuuuuughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Anyone else? I am in restless leg hell. I get this the last few weeks of every pregnancy usually....but it's so early this time....13 more weeks of this...oohhmmyyyy. I just want to cry at night when I lie down, because I *know* it'll start up....I'm tired and I really WANT to sleep, but can't because my legs won't stop twitching!

That jumping, tingling, itchy, MUST move your legs or feet or toes or something or you might just jump out of your skin feeling......

Taking a very hot 'sitz' type bath works 99% of the time for me, but I don't really WANT a hot bath every single night!!

I've had people suggest eating a banana before bed for the potassium--I can't I'm allergic. And also to be sure I'm getting enough calcium. I'm pretty sure I am as I eat a lot of dairy and I'm also taking a good prenatal faithfully.

Any other suggestions??

~Mama to my boys~ to a teen, a tween & a toddler and surro-mama to twins and their sister

Livin' in the sticks with my chicks chicken3.gif and lovin' it!

2014:  4/52 projects  0/2014 things 0/52 books

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 31 Old 05-29-2007, 05:37 AM

i have a friend who has this normally (which would be pure hell if you ask me) and she recommends doing some leg exercises before laying down at night, and then if you are woken up, getting up and doing a little exercise to get the legs tired. she has this whole system of squats and lunges, which we can't really do as easily as she could, but maybe a walk around the block before hitting the sack??? up and down the stairs a few times???
#3 of 31 Old 05-29-2007, 09:49 AM

The banana provides potassium, which is supposed to help. You may try eating a potato with the skin on... also stretching before bed helps. Just do it gently, I find restless legs go hand in hand (or foot-in-foot ) with charley horses .
#4 of 31 Old 05-29-2007, 11:26 AM

Holly - I am in the midst of this personal hell also. RLS SUCKS!!!
I did a bunch of research and found the following suggestions...
1). warm bath
2). take iron supplements
3). take calcium supplements
4). take magnesium supplements
5). increase vitamin C intake
6). leg massage before going to bed
7). keeping the legs/feet warm (I refuse to do this one because I cannot STAND hot feet...I like to sleep with them outside the covers. But it was listed as a suggestion)
8). regular exercise (I think exercise is recommended for everything).

I have been taking the "try everything' approach so I am on a bunch of supplements now and have added a bath to my nightly routine. DH isn't really down with the whole massage thing, so sometimes I give myself one, but usually I don't. So far I have been doing this routine for 4 days and have only had on night of restless legs one night which is pretty good for me.
Another thing that really helps me is to get up and go sleep in the guest bed. That way I CAN move if I want to without disturbing DH. For some reason having the freedom to move makes it easier to manage. to you sweetie. I hope at least some of this info proves useful to you.
#5 of 31 Old 05-30-2007, 01:18 AM - Thread Starter

I'm allergic to potatoes too! Almost all the 'nightshade' family....I'm allergic.

Emily....I'm soooo sorry you're in the middle of it....but then again....soooo glad someone understands the HELL of it!!! UGHH!

I've also seen some crazy thing about a bar of soap....rubbing it (dry) on your legs before bed??? HECK....I'm ready to try just about anything....except keeping my feet warm too LOL....but if it keeps up...I might even try that!!!

~Mama to my boys~ to a teen, a tween & a toddler and surro-mama to twins and their sister

#6 of 31 Old 05-30-2007, 04:09 AM

RLS is a major heredity issue in my family. I'm the only one of us women who does not have it. Has nothing to do with pregnancy though... begins in early 20s and have it for life So little research done on it.

The only think I can think of that others haven't mentioned is researching on homeopathy and see if you can't find something that would work.

Missionary, birth-worker, midwifery student
Mama to love.gif DD (9yr), DS luxlove.gif (3yr), & 2twins.gif UC twin DDs (5yr)

#7 of 31 Old 05-30-2007, 11:02 AM

I had this last night, but for me I think it's anxiety.
#8 of 31 Old 05-30-2007, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrunchyClark View Post
I've also seen some crazy thing about a bar of soap....rubbing it (dry) on your legs before bed??? HECK....I'm ready to try just about anything....except keeping my feet warm too LOL....but if it keeps up...I might even try that!!!
I saw the bar of soap thing too but figured it fell under the "leg massage" category of treatment.

Another thing I read is that antihistamines can make it MUCH worse. I took benedryl the other night (because I have a cold and I REALLY wanted some sleep) and holy crap, I thought I was going to have to amputate my legs.
#9 of 31 Old 05-30-2007, 01:03 PM

I used to have this really bad.

I saw an article in the newspaper by a husband and wife who are doctors, I think it is Dr.s Graedons? Anyway they said put a bar of soap under your mattress.

I couldn't think of one possible reason why this would work unless you were just gullible as heck, but having nothing to lose, I tried it and it worked!!!

They said no Ivory or Dove. I have no idea of why. And you need to replace it every couple monthes or so, which I have found to be true.

I am almost embarassed to admit this but it really did work. Give it a try, if you have soap, it won't cost a thing and you might be surprised!
#10 of 31 Old 05-30-2007, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyAgain View Post
I used to have this really bad.

I saw an article in the newspaper by a husband and wife who are doctors, I think it is Dr.s Graedons? Anyway they said put a bar of soap under your mattress.

I couldn't think of one possible reason why this would work unless you were just gullible as heck, but having nothing to lose, I tried it and it worked!!!

They said no Ivory or Dove. I have no idea of why. And you need to replace it every couple monthes or so, which I have found to be true.

I am almost embarassed to admit this but it really did work. Give it a try, if you have soap, it won't cost a thing and you might be surprised!
Maybe it's a Princess and the Pea kinda thing? Sadly, I AM desperate enough to try this.
#11 of 31 Old 05-30-2007, 02:18 PM

make sure you are drinking tons of water. from what i understand dehydration really agravates this problem. also leg stretches that really activate the sciatic nerve help.
#12 of 31 Old 05-30-2007, 04:35 PM - Thread Starter

Drink tons of water already...check...LOL

Okay Emily....we gonna try the soap thing?

#13 of 31 Old 05-30-2007, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Okay Emily....we gonna try the soap thing?
A bar of Dial soap is going under my mattress as soon as I get home
#14 of 31 Old 06-01-2007, 02:54 AM - Thread Starter

Did it work Emily!!???

I didn't have problems last night....but no soap under there yet.....I was just so bone dead tired exhausted that I just couldn't move my legs...eventhough they wanted to LOL

I'll have to get my soap under there tonight!

#15 of 31 Old 06-01-2007, 05:41 AM

Oh yeah. I get it mostly when I have walked a lot or an REALLY tired. We went to a late movie last weekend, and I had it during the whole fraking movie(almost 3 hours), I thought I was going to die. Wish I knew how to help, but for me being overtired makes it worse...

Single mama to Alex(13), Maddy(12), Sam(8), Violet(6), and Ruby(3). fly-by-nursing1.gif
#16 of 31 Old 06-01-2007, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Did it work Emily!!???

I didn't have problems last night....but no soap under there yet.....I was just so bone dead tired exhausted that I just couldn't move my legs...even though they wanted to LOL

I'll have to get my soap under there tonight!
So far so good, although who knows WHY since I am trying everything but bringing the kitchen sink into bed with me. I had slight symptoms last night (well more like early this morning after waking up to pee at 6AM) - I trying rotating a popping my ankles (this is usually what I try to do to relieve the symptoms) but it wasn't working (plus the sun was coming up AND the freaking birds were SO LOUD) so I just got up.

I am a little bit worried that I will have awful symptoms tonight, since like mamamoo being overtired seems to make it worse for me (can legs get "cranky"? 'Cause that's what it feels like) and I only got 5 hours of sleep last night (with only 6 hours of sleep the night before). I am normally an 8-9 hr. sleeper so I definitely feel deprived.
#17 of 31 Old 06-04-2007, 10:20 AM

UPDATE - so crap, none of my "cures" seem to be working (including bar of soap). I had RLS so freaking bad last night I thought I was going to die. It was to the point where my legs HURT this morning (and I am so tired...my god, so tired!). The most reliable "cure" has been a warm bath before bed (I've done that about 5 times and each of those 5 nights I have had ZERO symptoms). Ugh. I don't always WANT a bath each night.

How is everyone else doing?
#18 of 31 Old 06-04-2007, 01:29 PM - Thread Starter

None of mine worked last night either....not even the bath! WWWaaahhh! I was soo tired by 2 am I was literally in tears. UGH!

I have an OB appt on Weds and I'm going to see what he suggests. I am desperate! The only 'good' sleep I'm getting is a nap. I tried skipping to see if that would help....that was yesterday....it didn't....in fact it seemed WORSE because I was just exhausted and trying to get to sleep with jumpy legs! AUUUUGHhH!

#19 of 31 Old 06-04-2007, 01:51 PM

Quote:
I have an OB appt on Weds and I'm going to see what he suggests. I am desperate!
Holly - You have to share what you find out. My next appointment isn't until closer to the end of the month.

Sorry you are having a bad time of it too.
#20 of 31 Old 06-05-2007, 01:52 PM

Holly (and any other fellow sufferers) - I talked to my yoga teacher last night and she suggested that I try "Legs up the Wall" (which you can read about HERE before bed AND that I drink some Emergen-C. She said these two things really helped her with her RLS during pregnancy.

My betime routine just keeps getting longer and more complicated...
#21 of 31 Old 06-06-2007, 02:41 PM - Thread Starter

Okay.....you want the good news first? or the bad news?

Hmm....wellll bad news.....nothing much you can really do aside from what we've already been doing--with hot baths topping the list as well as a 20-30 min walk within 1-2 hrs of bedtime. Experiment with what helps the most. Don't get overtired as that will only aggravate it more.

The good news....it should go away with delivery. Eeeek LOL

He did say that I could take 1/2 to a whole of a Unisom sleeping pill which would also help with my insomnia. (Start w/ 1/2 and see if that helps first so it's a lesser dose.) So, I might pick up a pack in case I'm desperate!!! There have been several nights I would have taken one just to get some rest.

I already do yoga and am familiar with that position. It's also good for reducing swelling, backpain, and blood pressure. So, I do it frequently. It also feels reeeallly good!

#22 of 31 Old 06-06-2007, 03:00 PM

Not part of your DDC, but I'm a long-time sufferer of RLS (since childhood). I have a couple of other sleep disorders, too.

Valerian helps, but I don't know if you can take it while pregnant. I take Valerian sometimes, when I run out of my prescription stuff (the Valerian eventually stops working, which is why I don't use it permanently).

Weird about the hot baths. My RLS gets a million times worse when my feet are hot. Strangely enough, I hardly had any RLS during my pregnancies, and only one Charley Horse.
#23 of 31 Old 06-07-2007, 10:30 AM

Frickity frick frick! Sucks that there really isn't anything we can do about RLS. Thanks for sharing Holly, even if it wasn't the best news.
I guess I will go buy an emergency pack of Unisom for those nights when I absolutely just cannot take it anymore. Other than that I will just keep up with my routine. One positive - I haven't suffered ANY leg cramps since starting all of my vitamins. TG they are good for something.
#24 of 31 Old 06-08-2007, 03:06 PM

try eating fresh blueberries......I think my midwife told me about this in my first pregnancy and I tried it last night when I was desperate and realized we had fresh blueberries - and I got to sleep - finally - try it and let me know if it works for anyone else....
#25 of 31 Old 06-29-2007, 01:06 PM - Thread Starter

Emily, how are yours?

I 'think' I figured out a system for mine. I've been pretty much 'free' for 2 weeks now. I don't normally have any caffiene, which is supposed to make restless legs worse...but I started drinking some iced tea when it got warm....and suddenly....my RL weren't as bad! Not tons of caffiene, but a little. And then my usual warm bath if it feels like they might be jumpy, or if I go to bed and they are even remotely restless. I just get right in the tub rather than sitting and thinking maybe I'll get through.

So, I've had some really good nights recently! Well....aside from getting up to pee 3 times....LOL

#26 of 31 Old 06-29-2007, 02:01 PM

i'm not pregnant, but I do get RLS pretty bad. not sure if these are pg ok, do your research...

tonic water with quinine helps

Hylands remedies for Leg Cramps with quinine helps enormously!

I sleep alone now, but rocking sure helps. hook my feet over the edge of the mattress and flex my ankles. and helps you track down any squeeks in the bed frame.

stretch your achillies heel by standing on the edge of a step and slowly let your weight stretch your calf.

less caffiene, don't get exhausted, excersize a little bit every day.
love and light,
Bryanna
#27 of 31 Old 06-29-2007, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Emily, how are yours?

I 'think' I figured out a system for mine. I've been pretty much 'free' for 2 weeks now. I don't normally have any caffiene, which is supposed to make restless legs worse...but I started drinking some iced tea when it got warm....and suddenly....my RL weren't as bad! Not tons of caffiene, but a little. And then my usual warm bath if it feels like they might be jumpy, or if I go to bed and they are even remotely restless. I just get right in the tub rather than sitting and thinking maybe I'll get through.

So, I've had some really good nights recently! Well....aside from getting up to pee 3 times....LOL

Ugh. They seem to come and go. I'll have 2-3 bad night followed a couple of good nights. I've stopped trying to find rhyme or reason as to why. I keep up with the supplements, I continue to do yoga, and I try to take a bath 3 nights per week (more if I am feeling super restless before bed), I walk nightly before bed. I also keep the A/C a bit lower than normal because keeping my feet cool is more comfortable. I guess I've just started looking at the whole thing as yet another annoying pregnancy symptom. Besides, between the RLS and the peeing, I haven't slept more than 3 hours straight in weeks.

Glad to hear you are doing a bit better Holly!
#28 of 31 Old 06-30-2007, 04:18 AM

I seem to trade off nights. Some nights it's leg cramps, other nights RLS, but it's always something.
My midwife suggested specifically a bar of original Safegaurd near my legs under the sheets. It took me a while to go get that soap, but it seems to be working.
Hope you all rest well tonight.

DH&Me  Christ follower, homeschooler, gardener, (insert lots of additional crunchiness here) chicken mama, & occasionally blogger. intactlact.gifMama of  boys 9,7,3.5,&11months....& SURPRISE jaw2.gif  expecting a BOY in November!  7 sweet-babes gone too soon.

#29 of 31 Old 07-01-2007, 12:01 AM

Wonderful, now I'm starting to develop this annoyance! I had it as a kid pretty bad, I remember it making me crazy around age 8 or 9.
I'm going to do legs up the wall tonight and see if dh will do a little massage. Taking a hot bath is a challenge because dd throws a walleyed fit if I'm in the tub without her and I'm too tired to stay up after she goes to bed. AND, I'm doing the soap thing too.
#30 of 31 Old 08-04-2007, 12:04 AM

I was having the same problem - for some reason my leg hairs just seemed super duper sensitive and every time the blanket would brush against them I would jump and it was hell- especially when it got hot and the fan would blow on them.

My solution was to wax my legs (I'm a hairdresser so I'm lucky enough to have the stuff and the knowledge to DYI) I managed to do it just in time before my belly got too big to be in the way, and I've had no leg problems since!

Maybe this might work for someone else?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page