RH - and the Rhogam shot HELP - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 05-30-2007, 05:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So, I am RH- which means i need a Rhogam shot. My midwife told me that i will be getting one at my next apt (monday) and one again after the baby is born. I have been reading lots of stuff online that says the Rhogam shot is not safe during pregnancy because of mercury levels and the increase risk of autism and other things. Why would my midwife want me to do this if that is true? Have any of you had to go through this? heellllpp i feel scared about what i should do.

me, dh and 2 boys = our family (oh and a cat...who is also a male...lol)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 16 Old 05-30-2007, 05:07 PM

First of all what is the father's blood type? If it is also Rh- there is no reason to get the shot at all.

My DH is Rh+ and I'm Rh-. I chose to not get the shot during pg. I figure as long as I had to reason to believe there was not any bleeding from injury such as a car accident or something, I didn't want the shot. It is only when the baby's blood comes into contact with maternal blood that a problem may arise. I decided to wait until after the baby was born, have the baby's blood type tested, and then if the baby was Rh+ I got the shot. If it was Rh- I wouldn't have gotten the shot.

I was given the shot twice for my first pg. As it turns out I didn't need the shots because my ds was Rh-. : That made me mad when I learned about it all later.
#3 of 16 Old 05-30-2007, 06:03 PM - Thread Starter

We don't know my DH's blood type. He tried calling the hospital that he was born at (in florida...we live in vermont) and they shread files of patients they haven't seen in 10 years. He's never donated blood or had any reason to know his blood type so we are not sure.

me, dh and 2 boys = our family (oh and a cat...who is also a male...lol)
#4 of 16 Old 05-30-2007, 06:13 PM

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=672658

Here is a relatively recent thread that I had been reading..it may be helpful.

I am also Rh-. I have never gotten the shot during pregnancy--however, both of my live births ended up being negative too! My ex-husband was not RH-, and we knew this..but we decided against the shot during pregnancy anyway.

I have gotten the shot after my pregnancies that ended.

I have not gotten and do not plan to get Rhogam during this pregnancy either. My dp is Rh+. We will be testing after the birth to see if this baby is negative or positive...I have not decided whether I will be getting it postpartum, either way. Right now I am reading the book that is referred to in the thread I posted (sorry, can not remember the name right at the moment..pregnancy brain!).
#5 of 16 Old 05-30-2007, 08:13 PM

Have your DH have a blood test done. It may be a non issue for you.
#6 of 16 Old 05-30-2007, 08:59 PM

i'm rh-, i get the shots. the barrier between mama's blood and baby's blood is literally one cell thick in places. it doesn't take a major trauma to cause a small bleed. to me it's a risk, but it's worth it.
#7 of 16 Old 05-30-2007, 09:02 PM

I am Rh- and DH is Rh+. I got the prenatal Rhogam with my first pregnancy, because I just didn't know there was any reason to decline it. DS turned out Rh+ too, so I also got the postpartum Rhogam.

I've heard that Rhogam no longer contains mercury, but the fact that it is made with donated human blood means that it could contain things that could make you sick. They screen for HIV and hepatitis, but there may be things that we don't know about yet. The risk of Rh sensitization through pregnancy is really small, but real. If it does happen, the baby could be born with anemia and needing a blood transfusion.

I've decided to skip the prenatal Rhogam, and just get the postpartum one if the baby is Rh+. But I don't think there is any 'wrong' decision whether you get it or not.

Tis the season, for hot apple cider!
#8 of 16 Old 05-31-2007, 12:26 AM

Oh, I also now have some "antibody D" that shows up in blood tests. From my limited understanding I was told that I received this anitbody from the human cells used for the shot. So some person had this particular "antibody D" and it was injected in me. That just skeeves me out.
#9 of 16 Old 05-31-2007, 08:32 AM

i am RH- and my dh is RH+ and i got the shot a few weeks ago. i quizzed my midwife about it and she said there was NO mercury in it....
#10 of 16 Old 05-31-2007, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollytheteacher View Post
We don't know my DH's blood type. He tried calling the hospital that he was born at (in florida...we live in vermont) and they shread files of patients they haven't seen in 10 years. He's never donated blood or had any reason to know his blood type so we are not sure.
They tested my Dh's blood at my OB's office. Maybe you can get it done at a clinic?
#11 of 16 Old 05-31-2007, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kleine Hexe View Post
Oh, I also now have some "antibody D" that shows up in blood tests. From my limited understanding I was told that I received this anitbody from the human cells used for the shot. So some person had this particular "antibody D" and it was injected in me. That just skeeves me out.
Yes, I found out I have something called Kell Antibodies in my blood too. I got them from a transfusion I had. Dh doesn't have them fortunately so we are ok. What I really hate is when the doctor is talking about the Kell Antibodies, it sounds really close to "KILL" antibodies which always freaks me out.:
#12 of 16 Old 05-31-2007, 10:50 AM

From what I understand there is no more mercury in the Rhogam shot..however, as with vaccines..the doctors/clinics..whatever..are able to use up there back stocks with the mercury...so, I am not sure when it was phased out but it maybe possible that there is still some out there with the mercury based preservatives...just make sure you ask if this is something that concerns you!
#13 of 16 Old 05-31-2007, 05:45 PM

Rhogam no longer contains mercury, but it does contain other preservatives.

Please research this thoroughly before getting the injection.

The risk of sensitization during pregnancy is only decreased from 1.2% to 0.7% with Rhogam. There is a greater decrease postpartum.

Rhogam is a blood product and if you've done any research on how vaccines are developed, safety tested, and approved, you won't feel completely at ease receiving Rhogam even postpartum. However, you need to weigh the risks and benefits and make that decision for yourself.

I got the shot at 28 wks with my first two and really regret it now (I hadn't researched properly). I am skipping it with this pregnancy and may also skip it after the birth, depending on the birth circumstances. I did do a blood draw at 28 wks and I'm not currently sensitized. I am wondering if I can just do another test postpartum and check for sensitization before receiving the Rhogam.

Things to check out-

Package insert:
http://www.orthoclinical.com/Product...1-20-971-3.pdf

Book:
http://www.amazon.com/Anti-D-Midwife...0644022&sr=8-1

And of course any threads on Rhogam here on MDC! there is great info to be found.

Blessed Mama to 4 and expecting one more!
#14 of 16 Old 06-01-2007, 09:36 AM

If you want to have more babies in the future you have to get the Rhogam shot.

They took Thimerisol (mercury preservative) out of the Rhogam shot years ago.

Read the list of ingredients in the insert before getting the shot. Mine said no preservatives, if there would be mercury in it, it would be in the preservative.
#15 of 16 Old 06-01-2007, 11:28 AM

Quote:
If you want to have more babies in the future you have to get the Rhogam shot
This is not true. The prenatal shot is given prophylactically *in case* there is a sensitizing event. As beanbean noted above, the difference in risk between getting the shot prentally & not getting it is .7% vs. 1.2% so not very big. Many countries do not even offer the prenatal shot. In those countries, they type the babies blood after it is born and give the shot ONLY IF the baby is rh+.

I had a miscarriage with my first baby and did not have the shot (didn't know about it at the time) and went on to have 2 successful pregnancies with no sensitization.

Mom to DMI & Silly Apple
#16 of 16 Old 06-05-2007, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollytheteacher View Post
You can buy a kit on the internet to test it yourself for about $20.

Leigh, mama to Rostislav homeborn Aug 9 2007, and Oksana homeborn Feb 24 2011.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page