WWYD? failed glucose test by ONE point - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 06-06-2007, 06:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just got back from the OB. I failed my glucose test by one point. I said that I wouldn't do the 3 hour test and the OB said that she'd compromise by letting me take the 1 hr. again or just going to the class about the GD class.

I am not overweight, this is my third and I've never had an over 9 lb. baby (they've been 8lb.3oz and 7lb.15oz), diabetes does not run in my family... and the OB admitted that basically, even if they monitor the crap out of you and you do follow the diet there is no statistical decrease in either mother or infant morbidity (is that the word??). Why do it then? I enjoy being pregnant... I do not want to do a lot of testing and monitoring for the rest of the time when it really does not benefit anything except the curiousity of the OB.

OR am I being stubborn? And I should just do the one hour again? I'd like to call the lab and find out what my results were for my previous two pregnancies so I could compare. To see if I'm in the same range that I'm always in when pregnant.

Maybe someone here can tell me what the diet is like so I would know some basic guidelines and try to take them into mind for the duration of my pregnancy?

Sorry I'm ranting. I just walked in the door.
Thanks for any advice.
#2 of 12 Old 06-06-2007, 06:36 PM

I don't know I didn't and won't take the glucose test. Ask her for medical evidence showing you the benefits of GD screening and treatment. Read Henci Goer's stuff on GD.
#3 of 12 Old 06-06-2007, 07:07 PM

Same thing happened to me w/ds2. I told him I wouldn't do the test again, but if he wanted me to go on the GD diet and test my blood regularly, I'd be happy to. He asked when/what I had eaten most recently, did a finger prick, said I was fine.

Michelle -mom to Katlyn 4/00 , Jake 3/02, and Seth 5/04
#4 of 12 Old 06-07-2007, 12:11 AM

The diet... ugh. Basically, it means cutting out white flours and sugar (pasta, bread, etc), and, obviously, most sweets and desserts. You increase your protein, and make sure to eat protein with every meal. It also means increasing veggies, greens, etc.

In a nutshell... limit carbs and sugars, increase protein and veggies.

I failed the test with DS, and then passed the 3 hour test. This time I refused to take the test, because I know I can 'treat' it with diet.

It's your right to refuse any test or procedure. Personally, I'd agree to compromise by doing a pin prick glucose test every other office visit or something (so they can see your REAL glucose levels after eating normally, rather than after drinking butt loads of sugar, which is unrealistic).

Danell - Craft Savvy mama to Evan (3/31/06) and Andre (8/29/07)
#5 of 12 Old 06-07-2007, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danotoyou2 View Post
I failed the test with DS, and then passed the 3 hour test. This time I refused to take the test, because I know I can 'treat' it with diet.

It's your right to refuse any test or procedure.
I also failed the one hour and passed the 3 hour. I declined the test altogether my second pg. I didn't see a point for me.
#6 of 12 Old 06-07-2007, 12:34 AM

I'd probably just let it ride.

If your OB isnt' comfy with that, ask if he can do some in office tests when you come in just to see where you are. If it's high again, then go from there.

You can limit white sugars and starches and increase protein. It won't hurt you

~Mama to my boys~ to a teen, a tween & a toddler and surro-mama to twins and their sister

Livin' in the sticks with my chicks chicken3.gif and lovin' it!

2014:  4/52 projects  0/2014 things 0/52 books

#7 of 12 Old 06-07-2007, 07:52 AM

i wouldn't do it again, but i would just keep an eye on my sugar intake from here on....
#8 of 12 Old 06-07-2007, 08:15 AM

I've had GD with both pregnancies. The diet wasn't that horrible.

Here's the GD for Dummies version:

You make sure you moderate your carbs and always eat a carb with a protein (which slows the absorption of the carb down). I didn't really cut anything out of my diet (okay, coke, fruit juice and french fries) but I still managed a small sliver of chocolate cake every day (that was my craving - I froze it so it took longer to eat!!)

Watch your portion sizes - one serving of carbs is 15g of carb, one serving of protein is 7g, break your 3 meals into 6, start first thing in the am and last thing before bed (keeps blood sugar even). You can eat all the vegetables you want (and a tomato is a vegetable to a diabetic!) I got good at reading labels, and since I was monitoring my blood sugar, I found which carbs were more slowly metabolized.

I gained 32lbs with each pregnancy, and it was gone 2 weeks after each child was born. I appreciated getting GD because of getting to meet with a registered dietician, learning about eating properly, and the weight loss afterwards!
#9 of 12 Old 06-07-2007, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kleine Hexe View Post
I also failed the one hour and passed the 3 hour. I declined the test altogether my second pg. I didn't see a point for me.
Same here exactly. I wouldn't bother with any more GD testing.

Amanda - wife to DH Kellyjog.gif, Mummers to Trentreading.gif born 03/03/05 Bridgetdust.gif born 08/08/07 and a IT'S A BOY! Kennedy babyboy.gifborn 02/20/11!
#10 of 12 Old 06-07-2007, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danotoyou2 View Post
The diet... ugh. Basically, it means cutting out white flours and sugar (pasta, bread, etc), and, obviously, most sweets and desserts. You increase your protein, and make sure to eat protein with every meal. It also means increasing veggies, greens, etc.
I have eaten like that for 4 years.

I don't eat much that NEEDS insulin to process it. So, supposedly my body should have pretty much stopped making it. It CAN, but it doesn't have any in stock.

Doing the GTT would completely set me back 4 years in terms of my body chemistry, so I won't do it.

Of COURSE my body would have trouble processing that crap! But since I would never put myself in that position, taking the test is ridiculous.

Leigh, mama to Rostislav homeborn Aug 9 2007, and Oksana homeborn Feb 24 2011.
#11 of 12 Old 06-07-2007, 12:20 PM

The bottle that you have to drink says that pregnant women should only drink it under supervision. It could be dangerous to take so much sugar at one time!

To compare, in the European country I am from they don't even do this test, they just take your fasting sugar level.

Carma
#12 of 12 Old 06-07-2007, 01:49 PM

I do think it's important to take the test - so does the midwife I go to here in Sweden. We had an early 2-hour test (they don't do 1 hour here?) and I've got another one scheduled for next week. It's a pain, because I have to fast for 12 hours beforehand, then wait in their office for two hours. It's one of those tests that I take because my actions after having the results can affect the outcome of my birth (unlike a quad screen). If I was one point over, I'd just try to do the diet on my own, it wouldn't hurt (except when having a severe craving!!!).

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page