Special Deliveries... how TV affects us - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 07-05-2007, 09:07 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Last night there was nothing on to watch so I found myself watching this program. It struck me with fear of birth. Up until now I had been feeling very optimistic. I wasn't afraid. Then there was a woman who wanted to go "natural" and near the end she threw herself in such a panic and was begging and crying for drugs. It really scared me. I wonder how it will be for me. Will I be able to keep calm? I guess at this point it's not a good idea to watch these shows! I told my husband I've changed my mind and I don't want to 'have' this baby
#2 of 13 Old 07-05-2007, 09:16 AM

Hi :-)

I have a suggestion (it's what I have been doing to psych myself up for the big day...)

I've watched several homebirths on youtube and google video....

Also, you can try googling ecstatic births and natural births...it makes you feel really empowered.

I try not to watch too much tv... its mind pollution.

Believe in your body at what it can do... pain is usually a manifestation of fear anyhow...
#3 of 13 Old 07-05-2007, 11:10 AM

My husband won't let me watch those shows anymore... I sit there and yell at the TV!

I love some of the YouTube births.

Also, do deal with the fearfactor, I like the book "Immaculate Deception II" by Suzanne Arms. She really addresses fear in a great way.

Missionary, birth-worker, midwifery student
Mama to love.gif DD (9yr), DS luxlove.gif (3yr), & 2twins.gif UC twin DDs (5yr)

#4 of 13 Old 07-05-2007, 11:42 AM

Understand that while those shows are "real life" they are still Hollywoodized, and a reflection of our culture's prevailing views of birth. They choose the births they think are the most interesting/thrilling and they edit out tons of footage. Normal uncomplicated births seem to boreing to them.

I Love the birth stories in Ina May Gaskins books,
I also really like reading the Born Free site (UC) http://www.unassistedchildbirth.com/ucstories/
Watch some great home births on u tube.
(Here is a beautiful one) http://www.chickenpeople.com/index-6.html Also check out this thread http://www.mothering.com/discussions...ighlight=video Even if you are planning a hospital birth these will fill your heart with confidence in the process and yourself, and fill your mind with images of natural birth. Fill your spirit with confidence and awe.

DH&Me  Christ follower, homeschooler, gardener, (insert lots of additional crunchiness here) chicken mama, & occasionally blogger. intactlact.gifMama of  boys 9,7,3.5,&11months....& SURPRISE jaw2.gif  expecting a BOY in November!  7 sweet-babes gone too soon.

#5 of 13 Old 07-05-2007, 12:33 PM

Pay attention to what they are telling you in the titles and the "small print" as well. For example, that show is called "Special Deliveries." Special, i.e., extraordinary, unusual, out of the norm, different. I watched Maternity Ward, my husband gets freaked out, but I don't. They stated up front in the beginning that they were filming at a high risk OB hospital ward, so up front I knew this was not going to be about normal birthing.

Then there is a show that is filmed at a maternity center (read, midwife run) in Miami. The births on that show are wonderful! Mostly water births, and Moms up and walking around, in their own clothes, not hospital gowns, no tubes and wires attached to them. There was one dad on that show who was gearing up to start his surgical residency. After watching his wife water birth their baby, he decided to change his specialty altogether, scrapped surgery and decided to go into a more holistic field of medical practice.

If you see a midwife, ask her if she has any DVDs of home births or other natural births to give you a boost. My first appt. with my midwife she gave me a DVD of a Mexican midwife who water birthed her own baby at home. It was lovely, I watched it with DD and it was just a beautiful, inspiring birth.

She talked about how she noticed that when she was walking through her contractions, when she was walking towards her husband and looking him in the eye she felt light, and the contrax were manageable and she felt them as the power of her body to birth their baby. But, when she turned to walk the other way, they became painful, unmanageable and undermined her sense of power.

So, they decided that she would put her hands on his shoulders, and he would just walk backwards around wherever she needed to walk. She kept her eyes locked on his through the contractions, because the love and support of her partner filled her with calm and the sense that it was all okay and she could do it.

It was truly a peaceful, beautiful birth. I'll try to find her name, and maybe you can find the video.

Meanwhile, if you're going to watch TV, do so with a very large amount of skepticism at what they're showing you!! My husband said to me, "doesn't that freak you out to see all those problems?" And, I replied, "No, because I know that that is not our birth. I know I don't need all those things, and I'm planning a peaceful, joyful home birth. And, I trust that if we encounter anything that the midwife sees as a problem, we are 10 minutes from help." Don't let the establishment get you down. Our bodies were made to be able to birth a baby!
#6 of 13 Old 07-05-2007, 01:44 PM

If you can find them, there are two wonderful series made here in the UK called Home Birth Diaries, and Home Grown Babies. Definitely worth watching. Also, remember that the lady who wanted the natural birth: when she started screaming, that was the point where transition hit. It's an overwhelming feeling for many women and it can be really tough to stay focussed. So maybe, when you start feeling that it's all too much, then you can remember that you're nearly there?

Helen mum to five and mistress of mess and mayhem, making merry and mischief til the sun goes down.
#7 of 13 Old 07-05-2007, 05:46 PM

I am a regular watcher of the various birthing shows on Discovery Health and TLC. (Have been for about 6 or 7 years.) I can tell you for sure, that "Special Delivery" and "Birth Day" are the most one-sided shows out there. They probably showed that lady's story of wanting a natural childbirth and then backing out to make a point. (THey even shoe ELECTIVE C-sections!) I can't tell you how many times I want to slap the doctors on that show and even the editors too! They always make crunchy moms (the ones who want to make decisions for themselves and not just go along with whatever the doc says) look ignorant and weird.

Try watching "House of Babies". It reinstilled my confidence in natural childbirth. If you are determined to do it naturally, you will! I did, and I asked for drugs at one point, BUT that is what having a good birthing coach is for (husband, doula, or friend to talk you out of it.)

Have a blessed birth!

Mama to DS(2005), DD(2007), wife to DH(2004). Homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, clothdiapering, homeschooling, nonvaxing AND loving it! Due w/ #3 in Jan2011!
#8 of 13 Old 07-05-2007, 06:23 PM

no tv = no problem with crap like that.
easy peasy!
#9 of 13 Old 07-05-2007, 10:16 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the links, I had never looked at the sites mentioned.

As for the show, I also thought it was a bit of medical propaganda - it promotes the thinking of birth as a medical process. Thanks for all the responses! I feel better now
#10 of 13 Old 07-06-2007, 12:57 AM

I stopped watching those shows a few months ago because they tended to freak me out. Since then, I've read some books that have calmed my fears. I really have no fear of labor or giving birth. My biggest fear right now is c-section.

: Mom to a wonderful teen girl, a happy little boy and a cute baby girl
#11 of 13 Old 07-06-2007, 03:41 PM

Love the link with the home births..

I really like House of Babies, especially because that's where I'm having my baby..
#12 of 13 Old 07-06-2007, 04:44 PM

ALOHAMELLY:

Read "The Birth Book" By: Dr. Sears. It has the 10 steps to avoiding a c-section. It really helped me with my first, I had an unmedicated hospital delivery. I just kept going through those steps in my head - and I DID avoid a c-section.

Bless your birth!

Mama to DS(2005), DD(2007), wife to DH(2004). Homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, clothdiapering, homeschooling, nonvaxing AND loving it! Due w/ #3 in Jan2011!
#13 of 13 Old 07-07-2007, 03:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaturalTXMama View Post
ALOHAMELLY:

Read "The Birth Book" By: Dr. Sears. It has the 10 steps to avoiding a c-section. It really helped me with my first, I had an unmedicated hospital delivery. I just kept going through those steps in my head - and I DID avoid a c-section.

Bless your birth!
I've read it in the past. I wish I had brought it with me but it's in storage with all of my other household things. My baby is breech right now which is why I fear it so much.

: Mom to a wonderful teen girl, a happy little boy and a cute baby girl

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page