Weekly Thread July 23 - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 135 Old 07-25-2007, 08:24 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am 38 weeks today!

My sciatica is dramatically improved. I had another appointment with the reflexologist today, and now I can pick things up off the floor again. Still hurts a lot, though. Hopefully I will be able to sleep more comfortably now.

My lower back and pelvic area has been making a lot of cracking noises as I move. ie. sitting down onto the toilet.

I am very swollen in the feet and ankles.

I just want to sleep all the time.

My belly feels so much under pressure. It hadn't felt like that before. I guess I am running out of room. The baby seems to keep picking positions that are very uncomfortable for me.

TMI, but I have been pooping a lot. Like 6-8 times a day. In the night, every time I get up to pee i end up pooping too. This is a sign, right? Something about the baby moving lower?

I got the kitchen floor washed (dh ran the washer, forgetting he closed the sink drain, and water with oxyclean went everywhere...he mopped it up, and now it looks great!). I still want to clean the wood floors in the living room and bedroom.

Still waiting on the extra car my parents are going to leave at our place. Still waiting for my father to finish fixing the seat on my rocking chair. Still waiting for the shelf my FIL is making. MIL finished knitting the blanket. We will visit the ILs on Sunday for lunch.

The only item I still need to buy is some spray bottles. I bought some from RiteAid, but they were cheap and clogged quickly. My father is going to stop at a restaurant supply store in a few days, and he said he would look at what they have.

Erianna, I had my shower at week 32.
Glad to hear you have worked out some of the details for school.

Josy, we have no A/C in the kitchen or bathroom, but we do in the bedroom and living room. Still can't seem to get it cold enough, though. It is just a little window unit. After I cook dinner at night, with boiling pots on the stove and the oven on or whatever, the sweat is just pouring off of me. I go take a cool bath then. Isn't indoor plumbing great!?!

I received the bucket car seat I ordered. I was afraid DH would trip on it in the night, so I told him to move it out of the living room floor. He chose to put it on the extra computer chair with wheels where the cat Faf likes to sleep. So, today Faf decides he will sleep on the chair still, but on top of the box. The box is light and much larger than the seat of the chair, so every time he tried to get on top, it would wiggle and swing like it was going to fall off the chair. He finally got on top, and then found the top of the box too saggy for his taste. So, he jumped off and went to sleep in the baby cradle.

Leigh, mama to Rostislav homeborn Aug 9 2007, and Oksana homeborn Feb 24 2011.
#62 of 135 Old 07-25-2007, 11:30 PM

Today I decided to go get my haircut so I walked into a place that looked nice and asked if they could take a walk in, they said sure, in an hour, so in the meantime I went and got a pedicure! It was heavenly. Then I got a great haircut. What a fun day. I just got a weekly newsletter from my local farmer's market and there is a vendor there selling premade meals... I'm going to go check it out on Friday and hopefully they are made with good ingredients and I can stick those in my freezer. I have NO desire to cook, and even less to do the dishes after.

I posted a belly pic (and my new haircut).

Amanda - wife to DH Kellyjog.gif, Mummers to Trentreading.gif born 03/03/05 Bridgetdust.gif born 08/08/07 and a IT'S A BOY! Kennedy babyboy.gifborn 02/20/11!
#63 of 135 Old 07-25-2007, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saganaga View Post
At today's appt I was 3 cm dialated, 80% effaced, baby's head is down & low. I've had mucus & bloody show.

Due date is Aug 4, but maybe she'll arrive early?
I'm so jealous.
#64 of 135 Old 07-25-2007, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saganaga View Post
At today's appt I was 3 cm dialated, 80% effaced, baby's head is down & low. I've had mucus & bloody show.

Due date is Aug 4, but maybe she'll arrive early?
I'm so jealous. You're going to have that baby soon! My edd is Aug 5, but I wouldn't mind earlier!
#65 of 135 Old 07-26-2007, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OtherMother'n'Madre View Post
Ahhh, so teeny tiny, you forget how little newborns are...
#66 of 135 Old 07-26-2007, 10:33 AM

Keep us posted, saganaga!

Nothing new here, except that I would like to ideally hold off having baby because ds has the sniffles and needs taking care of. Dh got the sniffles too and is afraid of making our new baby sick.
#67 of 135 Old 07-26-2007, 10:53 AM

today should be better. it rained last night, finally, so everything has cooled down. it's supposed to stay like this for a couple of days. it's heaven!!! also i'm in less pain. i suspect that my pelvic pain is related to the weather. today i'll take my boy to the park and try to make up for the past week or so.

what i really want to know is WHERE IS THIS BABY AND WHEN IS IT COMING????
#68 of 135 Old 07-26-2007, 11:48 AM

went to my 38wk appt today and im 5cm dilated, 70% effaced! she's practically falling out, but still no signs of real labor.
#69 of 135 Old 07-26-2007, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeannie81 View Post
went to my 38wk appt today and im 5cm dilated, 70% effaced! she's practically falling out, but still no signs of real labor.
That's awesome that you've gotten that far without pain or labor or anything!
#70 of 135 Old 07-26-2007, 03:30 PM

I am surprised by how many people are getting vaginal checks. They are really meaningless. I was dialated to 3 and effaced 70% for six weeks before they induced me with DD. Everyone was so worried about things like GBS. Having a vaginal exam increases your risk of having bacteria shoved up in your vaginal canal.
#71 of 135 Old 07-26-2007, 03:38 PM

my OBs have never done vaginal checks after the early initial one. I don't want to know either. For me... it wouldn't help my state of mind in any way.
#72 of 135 Old 07-26-2007, 03:39 PM

:

I checked myself once a few months back (due to bleeding....wanted to know if it was cervical or not) and at that time I was a 3. Those numbers really mean nothing...just that your cervix happens to be more open (FWIW I'm about a 2 when not pregnant). I don't get the "insight" they seem to give.

Give more**Expect Less
There is no such thing as bad weather. Only bad clothing.
#73 of 135 Old 07-26-2007, 03:51 PM - Thread Starter

I had a rude awakening about vaginal checks today. I thought it was just a little feeling to see - but it really HURT. It took me by suprise and I yelled. Then I asked her why it hurt so much and she said she stuck her finger up in my cervix. I left feeling very violated! I'm only a "finger tip" dialated and 50% effaced. I agree that knowing does nothing for me and now I also know it hurt to get that bit of knowledge. Then I felt crampy for an hour or two afterwords too.
And to top it off I thought to myself how can I go through birth if one itty bitty finger hurt. What a wimp I am ;-)
#74 of 135 Old 07-26-2007, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyttlewon View Post
I am surprised by how many people are getting vaginal checks. They are really meaningless. I was dialated to 3 and effaced 70% for six weeks before they induced me with DD. Everyone was so worried about things like GBS. Having a vaginal exam increases your risk of having bacteria shoved up in your vaginal canal.
I am surprised too. I don't want anything extra being shoved up there, there will be enough action in the cervical area soon enough. LOL I agree too, uping my chances of infection is not high on my list of things I want.

Single mama to Alex(13), Maddy(12), Sam(8), Violet(6), and Ruby(3). fly-by-nursing1.gif
#75 of 135 Old 07-26-2007, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quetinha View Post
I had a rude awakening about vaginal checks today. I thought it was just a little feeling to see - but it really HURT. It took me by suprise and I yelled. Then I asked her why it hurt so much and she said she stuck her finger up in my cervix. I left feeling very violated! I'm only a "finger tip" dialated and 50% effaced. I agree that knowing does nothing for me and now I also know it hurt to get that bit of knowledge. Then I felt crampy for an hour or two afterwords too.
And to top it off I thought to myself how can I go through birth if one itty bitty finger hurt. What a wimp I am ;-)
Ouch! Well things are supposed to be going out not in so maybe that will make a difference? I wonder if your cervix looses feeling as you dialate?
#76 of 135 Old 07-26-2007, 04:09 PM

I didn't think I'd want vag checks at this point but oh I do! I do! My mw just gave me the option last week and I said yes, please. Didn't hurt and I trust her cleansliness. I still have sex too and that's sticking something up there that could possibly introduce bacteria (but I hope to God not!). I wasn't dialated at all and although I know it's all relative, we're all different, I'm interested. So... to each their own. I'm excited for the mamas who got checked and are looking closer to going than I!
#77 of 135 Old 07-26-2007, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagira View Post
Keep us posted, saganaga!

Nothing new here, except that I would like to ideally hold off having baby because ds has the sniffles and needs taking care of. Dh got the sniffles too and is afraid of making our new baby sick.
I never get sick, but when DH does he has a method that makes it go away amazingly fast. He drinks a cup of black tea with a spoon full of raspberry jam, as hot as he can drink it. He bundles up and sweats for a while, then he rinses off the sweat in a shower and goes to sleep. I would say he seems about 75% better the next morning.

#78 of 135 Old 07-26-2007, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by queendom lady View Post
I didn't think I'd want vag checks at this point but oh I do! I do! My mw just gave me the option last week and I said yes, please. Didn't hurt and I trust her cleansliness. I still have sex too and that's sticking something up there that could possibly introduce bacteria (but I hope to God not!). I wasn't dialated at all and although I know it's all relative, we're all different, I'm interested. So... to each their own. I'm excited for the mamas who got checked and are looking closer to going than I!

I guess I don't count sex the same because he is not actually entering my cervix. But I agree to each their own, just more intervention than I am wanting for me for sure.

Single mama to Alex(13), Maddy(12), Sam(8), Violet(6), and Ruby(3). fly-by-nursing1.gif
#79 of 135 Old 07-26-2007, 04:43 PM

I keep going back and forth on wanting to be checked. My mw only checks if you request it or you go over your due date by more than a week. I'm curious to see where I am, and I feel like I probably am dialated, since it's my second baby. I've been really keeping up on the EPO also, which I hope is helping to soften and efface and all that jazz. Although, I know that knowing won't change anything and could cause some anxiety. So, who knows what I'll decide to do.
#80 of 135 Old 07-26-2007, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyttlewon View Post
i know it's not really an indication of anything, but i like to know how far i am. since i know im already 5cm, i know i should head to the hospital as soon as i go in to active labor, especially since im quite a ways away from the hospital. as far as bacteria entering my vagina, i figure the sterile glove on the docs hand is probably cleaner than dh's sweaty penis, which is in there often enough.
#81 of 135 Old 07-26-2007, 05:31 PM

Quote:
cleaner than dh's sweaty penis, which is in there often enough.

TMI!! TMI!!

#82 of 135 Old 07-26-2007, 06:34 PM

my mw has never, ever checked me. she said even in labour she'll keep it to the bare minimum. but i check myself at least once a day. it means nothing at all, but i like knowing. plus it might trigger labour...
#83 of 135 Old 07-26-2007, 06:59 PM

maybe that is ther real reason I don't want any checks, I am still in denial, and want to keep labor from happening.

#84 of 135 Old 07-26-2007, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artgirl View Post

TMI!! TMI!!

#85 of 135 Old 07-27-2007, 01:33 AM

This is the first pg I have been checked. I almost declined because I don't want anything to trigger labor. I am 1cm,thick and the baby's head is pretty high still. I found the VE pretty uncomfortable and I was kinda sore the rest of the day. I am going to decline the dialation check next week. I am a little afraid to rock the boat with my ob because earlier in my pg I told her I found a midwife and I was having my 2nd homebirth and she said"well then you are firing me right?" We cannot pay out of pocket for a back up doc and she is "free" through my hmo. Oh well ,sunday is a full moon ,right? Maybe baby will want to come then.
#86 of 135 Old 07-27-2007, 01:43 AM

My MW gave me the option of being checked and I was curious. I will probably keep being checked because I am just one of those people who have to know. Then I will drive myself crazy with the knowledge.

: Mom to a wonderful teen girl, a happy little boy and a cute baby girl
#87 of 135 Old 07-27-2007, 03:40 AM

I've had two VE's this pregnancy (I also declined a pap). One because I'd been having contractions, and wanted to make sure that after the ctx stopped, the cervix went back to 'normal.' It was 70% effaced, but still closed. The second time was when my MW was trying EVERYTHING to figure out if the hard lump in my pelvis was a butt or a head. So, she thought if she felt vaginally she might be able to tell... she couldn't (I had an ultrasound, and found out that it's a head!).

Otherwise, I plan on not having any VEs until I'm in labor. And then, I'd like to keep them few and far between... but knowing my need to KNOW, I'll probably ask a lot.

FWIW, I also check myself. So I know that I'm still soft, partially effaced and maybe less than a finger tip dilated. I check every few days, after carefully scrubbing and washing my hands... it makes me feel like a surgeon in a medical TV show. :

Danell - Craft Savvy mama to Evan (3/31/06) and Andre (8/29/07)
#88 of 135 Old 07-27-2007, 08:50 AM

Just a thought for those who've had painful vaginal exams...probably your practitioner "stripped your membranes" by trying to separate the cervix from the edge of the membranes, or maybe saw whether you are a "stretchy" 1cm. I had that happen with my first pregnancy, after I'd explicitly told the doctor I didn't want it! It was a miserable experience, caused a lot of bleeding and cramping, and : I left his care despite the fact that I was 39 weeks+. Since he said he wanted to induce me in the hospital on my due date since I wasn't "progressing" enough (before labor had started or should even start, mind you, and a first time mom!), rather than attending my homebirth (this was in the Chicago area where a few family docs attend homebirths), I knew it was a bad sign of things to come. Now I'm in the "no exams" camp...mostly because, after two kids, I know that I don't really dilate before labor anyway, and also because it really doesn't mean as much as it seems. But as long as people are making informed decisions, then to each her own!

Oh, one more thought about exams...make sure they use STERILE gloves when they do it, individually wrapped gloves. If they just use exam gloves, who knows what might have happened to them getting in the box, falling out and being put back in, whatever! Regular exam gloves are marked "non-sterile" and are only for the protection of the practitioner, to keep him/her from being contaminated by you, but really you are the one at risk of infection, so sterlile gloves!

As for my preparations, I'm finally getting everything together for the birth, but oooohhhh I get soooo tired! Anyone else have a horrible backache by the end of the day? And sleeping on my sides is making my circulation all goofy...can't wait to sleep on my tummy or back again! I'm tired of waking up with sleeping limbs!
#89 of 135 Old 07-27-2007, 11:57 AM

MW just left.

My weight jumped up, my BP is high for me, and my swelling is more than usual. Protein in urine checked out fine, though.

She told me to
* reduce salt intake
* increase protein intake
* take lukewarm baths daily
* rest more on my left side with my legs up
* eat foods that are a natural diuretic

She specifically thought I should have fresh juices from a juice bar, and said that cucumber and lemon are diuretics. I have a juice machine. I posted in the nutrition sub-forum for recipes. In the mean time, my father is going to drive over here with his BP machine and bring me a juice from his local juice bar that has carrot and apple and cucumber. He is also going to bring me a bunch of cucumbers and apples from the supermarket (I have a ton of carrots in the house). Hopefully I will get some other ideas of what to juice before he comes this afternoon, and I can add to the list.

Today I was planning to give a super-mopping to the floors. They seriously need it, and I wanted them clean for labor because I am pretty sure I will spend some time on them. Now I am debating if I should just forget it.

I am going to go now and dig out some steaks in the freezer, thaw them, then cook them to have as a quick and easy high-protein snack. Maybe I will have a can of bean soup for a snack now (it has little salt).

#90 of 135 Old 07-27-2007, 12:30 PM

isn't it nice when docs & mws give practical solutions to problems instead of saying 'hmmm, this is bad. we should induce.' or whatever? rest, baths, and changing your diet are all easily workable solutions, much better than being given pills or something like that. i'm always grateful when medical types give me solutions instead of meds and interventions. it saves me having to ignore them and go find my own solutions.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page