Absolutely NO signs of this baby getting ready! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 07-25-2007, 01:16 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well, at my appointment yesterday at 37 weeks, I'm showing no signs of gearing up for anything! Doctor's words were, "cervix pretty thick ... and ... closed." So much for my "feeling" that I would have this baby early. Now I have to get used to having at least 3 more weeks like this!

He also said that this being a low risk pregnancy, he doesn't need to see me again until 40 weeks unless I have contrax, bleeding or decreased fetal movements. He's so hands off! (except for his ultrasound mania)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 16 Old 07-25-2007, 04:46 AM

But you know how pregnancy goes. You may not be showing any signs right now, but by tomorrow who knows!? I had my appt today and am just 1cm dilated but have no other signs.

: Mom to a wonderful teen girl, a happy little boy and a cute baby girl
#3 of 16 Old 07-25-2007, 05:09 AM

Oh, this is so the reason why I have turned down two cervical checks from my OB. I just can't stand knowing that I am walking around 1-2 cm dialated, or not dialated at all, and with either scenerio could deliver tomorrow or three weeks from now.

With DS I was dialated for weeks. Nope, I just don't want to know.

Happy wife to DH superhero.gifand mama to DS signcirc1.gif11/05 and DD energy.gif8/07.
#4 of 16 Old 07-25-2007, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekingJoy View Post
Oh, this is so the reason why I have turned down two cervical checks from my OB. I just can't stand knowing that I am walking around 1-2 cm dialated, or not dialated at all, and with either scenerio could deliver tomorrow or three weeks from now.

With DS I was dialated for weeks. Nope, I just don't want to know.
Ditto for me!! I just would rather live in ignorant bliss. LOL

Single mama to Alex(13), Maddy(12), Sam(8), Violet(6), and Ruby(3). fly-by-nursing1.gif
#5 of 16 Old 07-25-2007, 08:26 AM

i too pass the cervical checks. just dont need them. WHY do i want to know where my cervix is and how dilated it is NOW, i will know when its dilated enough, when my body is pushing!!!
between now and pushing i could care less what its doing.

treehugger.gif )O( unschooling, witchy mum to Addy(7) and Niamh(4)
Living with an invisible chronic illness.
Fat and hairy. And happy with both *( o Y o )*
#6 of 16 Old 07-25-2007, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AddysMama View Post
i too pass the cervical checks. just dont need them. WHY do i want to know where my cervix is and how dilated it is NOW, i will know when its dilated enough, when my body is pushing!!!
between now and pushing i could care less what its doing.
I also found them really uncomfortable. I'll let someone know when I want my cervix checked.
#7 of 16 Old 07-25-2007, 11:31 AM

Take heart, mama. You could still go into labor at anytime . I was only barely 2 cm when I went into labor with L, and walking around at 5 and still wasn't in labor with R. I go crazy without getting checked. I often have so many contractions in a given day the only way to tolerate it is to feel like something is happening to my cervix.

Lisa, mom to M : 6/02, R : 6/04, m/c 6/8/05, L 6/06, and E 8/07
#8 of 16 Old 07-25-2007, 11:45 AM

just like my last pregnancy, i've had all the signs of being ready to go at any second early on. and now nothing. just because you have the whole checklist of signs of being ready doesn't mean anything is going to happen. just like things can happen when you don't think you're at all ready.
#9 of 16 Old 07-25-2007, 12:00 PM

My midwife asked if I wanted an internal VE on Monday for curiosity's sake... I said "No thanks, you haven't even bought me dinner!"
I think if I knew I was dilating at all, I might go nuts. I'm with the ignorance is bliss group.
#10 of 16 Old 07-25-2007, 12:33 PM

Don't worry, you can still go anytime. If its your first pregnancy, usually babies are a little late. When nothing is happening, I call it the calm before the storm. So get your rest, I'm sure labor is around the corner.

I'm usually always walking around dialated for 3-4 weeks before labor so being dialated doen't mean you will have the baby soon it's just your body preparing. With my first two single pregnancies I was 3 cm for a month! With my twin pregnancy at 31 weeks I was 2 cm then by 38 weeks I was 5 cm and walking around like this.

Hang in there.
#11 of 16 Old 07-25-2007, 12:37 PM

I'm hoping to avoid all internal exams this pregnancy. I just don't really see the point of them.
#12 of 16 Old 07-25-2007, 01:12 PM - Thread Starter

I requested the internal, actually. We are contemplating a quick visa renewal trip out of the country and I wanted to know if there was any effacement or dilating going on, because having the baby in Nicaragua is *not* part of the plan!!

Also, we've been trying to make some decisions about who will attend the birth, as our insurance expires on July 31st (wouldn't you know it!). The insurance would only reimburse us for the home birth if the attendant is a "medical professional", so the CPM doesn't count. If there were any signs of effacement or any dilation at all, and knowing that there's a full moon this weekend (my labor with DD started on the full moon), I was going to start hiking the hill (read mountain) here in our backyard, having more sex and drinking RRL to wash down my spicy food

So, I'm guessing we can leave the country this weekend, renew the visas ... and be back long before any baby things start happening!
#13 of 16 Old 07-25-2007, 01:14 PM

I always thought that that info was pretty unreliable, though -- that you could be walking around at 3 cm for several weeks, or go into labor right away.
#14 of 16 Old 07-25-2007, 01:17 PM

I am with ignorant bliss.....

I knew I was dilated last time (felt lots of pressure and such around 35wks so I asked my MW to check me and she did and I was 2cm and 75/80% effaced) and walked around KNOWING I was 5cm and 90% for 5 weeks (went a week "late")....

This time, I don't want to know......drove myself crazy thinking I could go at anytime....MW thinks I will go early this time though.....WHATEVER....
#15 of 16 Old 07-25-2007, 03:02 PM

Another one for ignorance is bliss.

I've done the walk around for weeks 4 cm dialated.

I have also been 40 weeks with no cervical changes.

This time I have made it clear that I don't want my mw checking, although she still hints at wanting to do it when I get to 38 weeks.
#16 of 16 Old 07-25-2007, 03:51 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
I think I'd rather not know, too, but knowing how to do it myself, I can't help but check once in a while. I've been dilating for several weeks now - at the end of June I was 2cm, and now I'm 4. Knowing I'm almost halfway opened up is driving me crazy!

A, wife to R and mom to 3 boys: D~ 10/05, J~ 8/07, and B~ 12/09 and welcoming a new little one in May 2015

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page