Anyone else feel a little weird about the baby stats thing? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 07-31-2007, 06:26 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I know that it's just the traditional thing to do, but a big part of me is resisting announcing my babe's height/weight when she/he is born. It seems like such a strange thing to do, if you think about it . . . . why are we, as a culture, obsessed over numbers? Maybe I'm over-thinking this, but on some level it bothers me. I suppose that the stats don't really mean anything, but so often people make judgements because of them, or certain connotations are associated (ie, over 9 lbs is a "big" baby, the mama some sort of "hero," or the opposite -- bad diet, etc) Anyone else?

Living simply with the loves of my life! :::
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 14 Old 07-31-2007, 09:37 AM

Well, at least we don't include APGAR scores!!! It is odd, and I wonder if it's a hold-over from the time when photos were so long in coming, so family could get a feel for the new little one. I did notice that on the July birth announcements, there are disclaimers for C/Sections: "after 27 hours of labor, etc..." I'm hoping these women aren't ashamed...
#3 of 14 Old 07-31-2007, 09:40 AM

I think it's fun. There isn't much you can tell specifically about a newborn's personality or how they look, so you talk about their size.

Tis the season, for hot apple cider!
#4 of 14 Old 07-31-2007, 10:08 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I guess I must be obsessed too, I always like hearing the "stats". I give all the info when my babies arrive. I'd be happy to give the apgars too, if people cared...

Non Practicing Midwife, going back to school! Mamma to my 3 loves, living each day to the fullest.
#5 of 14 Old 07-31-2007, 10:41 AM

I don't mind the stats...and I guess I think, if people don't want to give them, that's perfectly fine! For instance, I rarely if ever use my kids names in posts, just for anonymity...but others list whole names, first middle last, along with birth dates, which seems risky to me, but to each his own!
#6 of 14 Old 07-31-2007, 12:08 PM

I've never really cared about stats - it always seemed like something the parents of the babe cared about, but not anyone else (I still don't really know what the "average" length of a fullterm newborn is!). I say if you don't want to report stats, don't report 'em! If someone presses you, just repond with "healthy" or "within normal limits". I am MUCH more interested in birth/labor details (how'd it feel, where did you birth, when did water break, what coping techniques did you use, etc.).
#7 of 14 Old 07-31-2007, 12:16 PM

I agree with QOTP, I think it's because you can't even usually say for sure "Blue eyes and blond hair" or whatever because newborns change soooo much so fast! At least you have those numbers to cling to. I think they are fun, personally.

I also enjoy hearing birth details, but it's not fun to pass those along in cases of traumatic birth, so weight and height will distract a lot of people who don't need to know in those cases!

Sarahknit.gifmarried to Kylehopmad.gif Mama to Orion  bouncy.gif08/07 and introducing Alice! babygirl.gif 02/11
DCP to 1 busy munchkin! and a CRST too!

#8 of 14 Old 07-31-2007, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinklefae View Post
I agree with QOTP, I think it's because you can't even usually say for sure "Blue eyes and blond hair" or whatever because newborns change soooo much so fast! At least you have those numbers to cling to. I think they are fun, personally.

I also enjoy hearing birth details, but it's not fun to pass those along in cases of traumatic birth, so weight and height will distract a lot of people who don't need to know in those cases!
Yep, I'm with them.
#9 of 14 Old 07-31-2007, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dctexan View Post
I've never really cared about stats - it always seemed like something the parents of the babe cared about, but not anyone else (I still don't really know what the "average" length of a fullterm newborn is!). I say if you don't want to report stats, don't report 'em! If someone presses you, just repond with "healthy" or "within normal limits". I am MUCH more interested in birth/labor details (how'd it feel, where did you birth, when did water break, what coping techniques did you use, etc.).
:

Happy wife to DH superhero.gifand mama to DS signcirc1.gif11/05 and DD energy.gif8/07.
#10 of 14 Old 07-31-2007, 08:18 PM

i think that weight matters but that length is completely arbitrary -- it all depends on how much they stretch the baby out!
#11 of 14 Old 08-01-2007, 01:08 AM

I was thinking about this as well, wondering what my birth announcements would say. And the numbers seem kind of weird to me. I can only think that you are somehow better if your baby is big? I don't know where I get that idea from. But yes, it does seem random to me. I mean, why do I need to tell people this? What does it inform them of, really?

BTW- it is good to know that some people find them interesting!
#12 of 14 Old 08-01-2007, 01:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyleigh View Post
I was thinking about this as well, wondering what my birth announcements would say. And the numbers seem kind of weird to me. I can only think that you are somehow better if your baby is big? I don't know where I get that idea from. But yes, it does seem random to me. I mean, why do I need to tell people this? What does it inform them of, really?

BTW- it is good to know that some people find them interesting!
Many people think baby stats are very important. I personally don't care one way or the other. I remember though going to work after I was at a friends birth and didn't know the exact weight. I got so much crap. Everyone wanted to know. As far as baby being big, low birth weight can be a bad thing so I think when people hear a baby is bigger than say 6 pounds they feel happy for you.
#13 of 14 Old 08-01-2007, 04:53 AM - Thread Starter

I figure that I'm probably just a little odd , and that if I withhold such info I'll get the same crap I've gotten from people regarding my due date (which I refuse to reveal, only "late Aug/early Sept") . . . but still -- this is a person, you know, who deserves to be treated with dignity and respect . . . . not a head of cattle (which is funny coming from me, the vegetarian ) or an automobile, kwim?

I agree about the other info being more interesting, as the babe's length and weight mean nothing in terms of the overall experience (I've known plenty of mamas with >10 pounders who had enjoyable/easy births, and those with <6 pounders who had difficult experiences, etc).

Anyway, thanks for the opinions!

Living simply with the loves of my life! :::
#14 of 14 Old 08-01-2007, 07:19 AM

While I am not sure how telling someone how much your baby weighs is undignified and disrespectful I don't think you should do something that makes you so uncomfortable. If you don't want to tell people then don't. Personally I don't want to tell my neighbor about my labor. Her way of showing she is interested and cares about my experience is asking for a personal detail like birth weight. : I think most people consider it good manners to ask about a birth even if they don't feel they need to know when your water broke.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page