Elias' Birth story - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 08-30-2007, 02:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I don't know how to update my old thread so I started a new one.

On Friday I mowed the yard, walked around at a local amusement park, and had dh "help", all hoping to start labor.

I started to spot Friday evening, and contrax started at 4 am Sunday. They started and stopped throughout the day. More on then off, but kind of sluggish. Dh did accupressure when they started to fade to encourage contrax. I had to breathe through them but I can't say they really hurt. Around 3:15 pm dh announced he was calling the doc and taking me to the hospital. I, of course, didn't think I was in REAL labor after all the false alarms, but dh was right and I'm glad he did what he did. After dragging me in to the hospital, I continued having the same type of contractions till a few minutes before 6, when they hurt a little even with the accupressure dh was doing to relieve the pain. My water broke at 6:10 pm, they checked me and I was 4 cm, so we went into the tub. Around 6:45 it really started to hurt, but I still thought it would take a while longer. However, I ended up complete at 7 pm and he was born at 7:14 pm. He had shoulder dystocia and dislocated his collarbone. He wasn't breathing. They intubated (sp? right term?) and took him to the NICU. He couldn't move his left arm and had dimples on his lower back which made them think there was a decent chance he had spina bifida.

He was transferred out of the nicu back to rooming in a few hours later, he was stable and breathing well.

Days of tests followed. His shoulder popped back in on his own, but is still painful and swollen. He has limited movement. He will need much therapy. My own arm is messed up from my own birth, so I am determined that he will get this treated properly. Things have come a long way in 27 years. He had trouble nursing because he was majorly tongue-tied. He had a textbook case. Once they clipped it he has nursed much better. He only has occult spina bifida which doesn't present problems. The other dimple may possibly go into his rectum and he needs more tests to determine that. His other dimple missed his spinal column by the tiniest of margins, which is why he has occult spina bifida instead of the major kind that causes problems.

He is the sweetest, easiest baby I've ever met. He has added so much joy to our family. All the girls love him and think he's great.

His first few days were very scary for us but things are looking up. He moved his arm up a little for the first time today.

The doc called right before I submitted this and said his dimple, upon further consult, will not need more tests unless we notice symptoms!!!!!! Hurray!!! All we need to deal with now is his arm!!!!

Stats:

Elias Finnegan
9 pounds 1 oz
They put him at 41 weeks gestation (we wondered how accurate the US was!)
20 in
dark hair with blue eyes that already seem to be changing - if so, he will be our only child to have a color other then blue
Born 8/26/07 at 7:14 pm

Lisa, mom to M : 6/02, R : 6/04, m/c 6/8/05, L 6/06, and E 8/07
#2 of 4 Old 08-30-2007, 04:13 PM

Wow! What an amazing little guy! Congratulations mama.

Single mama to Alex(13), Maddy(12), Sam(8), Violet(6), and Ruby(3). fly-by-nursing1.gif
#3 of 4 Old 08-30-2007, 10:24 PM

Congratulations! So glad to hear that he is doing well.

lucky mom to Oliver, 8/6/07, and Finn, 11/28/10, and wife to DH
#4 of 4 Old 08-30-2007, 11:19 PM

Congratulations, and Speedy recovery to your little one!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page