We have a baby! And it's a.... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 09-03-2007, 04:03 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
BOY!!

Gabriel Lewis (named in honor of CS Lewis) was born on 8/24. Not the
VBA2C we were hoping for, but all in all a very healing and wonderful c-birth.

So, here are the details. As you may know, my BP was elevated when I went in to the doctor on Friday and I had a headache. We discussed our options with the doctor and midwife. They felt that I could probably have my VBAC if we could hold off for another 1.5-2 wks, but that labor was not impending. We discussed options for induction and the only thing my doctor felt comfortable trying was breaking my water to see if labor would start. But my cevix wasn't even dilated enough for that. So, we were given the option of waiting through the weekend and doing the c/s on Monday (while being on bedrest over the weekend) or going ahead with the c/s. They both felt, however, that the end result would be a c/s and that there was a decent chance that my pressure would go up more over the weekend and I'd end up having the c/s then anyway. We were given time to pray and talk it over.

We decided to go ahead with the c/s that afternoon. We were sent over to the hospital and checked in.

At about 2:15 they walked us into the OR and started my epidural/spinal (which I highly recommend - it meant I was numb for 4-6 hours instead of just 1-2). It was really the best c/s I could have hoped for. Everyone was joking around and talking to us. My midwife stayed with us. She had no clinical tasks other than just supporting us. She videotaped the whole thing, including the actual delivery. When the doctor pulled the baby out and lifted him up Philip announced that it was a boy. The doctor cleaned him off and brought him up to the head of the bed for me to see. Then they had to take him over to the warmer for a couple of minutes because he was retracting. Once they suctioned him and gave him a bit of oxygen he was fine. They wrapped him up and Philip brought him up and sat by me while they finished suturing me up. My hands were free (they were tied down with my earlier c/s's) and I could stroke his face and hair. He was 6 lb 10 oz and 19 inches long. We decided his name was Gabriel, but still hadn't nailed down a middle name.

Turns out the c/s was a very good idea. The doctor found that the old c/s scar was beginning to separate and probably would have completely ruptured had we gone into labor. Praise God for keeping me from laboring! We were told that we need to wait at least 18 months, preferably 2 yrs, before conceiving again in order to allow the uterus to heal well. We think that is a good idea and will give me time to figure out the endocrine and renal issues as well.

When they finished sewing me up they took me to the recovery room. I nursed Gabriel for about 40 minutes. Then we just snuggled for another hour or so before they took me up to my postpartum room. I was still totally numb and painfree until about 6 pm. At that point my epidural started wearing off and I called the nurse. The next few hours were hell. Turns out there was some miscommunication on writing my orders. The doctor only had orders for oral pain meds and I wasn't eating or drinking yet at this poing. I was very nauseated. It took them over 2 hrs to get me some IV pain meds. I spent the whole time crying, which made the pain worse because it jiggled my tummy. We had some trouble that night getting the dosing right on my meds, but by morning it was all worked out.

I did have to stay one extra night because I was having some problems with vomiting and my bowels sounds were sluggish. But it all worked out in the end (pun intended) and we came home at noon on Tuesday.

Gabe is a sweet baby. Sleeps beautifully and nurses like a champ. The other kids adore him. Though our four year old says that since we didn't have a baby sister we have to buy her a cat instead.

Tamara: hs'ing Christian mom of five here and five in Heaven. Joyfully awaiting Punkin, coming mid-Sept!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 7 Old 09-03-2007, 12:07 PM

Congratulations - and I'm happy for you that things worked out for the best. You were definitely being watched over! Enjoy being at home with your new little wonder!
#3 of 7 Old 09-03-2007, 02:26 PM

Congratulations! I love the name Gabriel! (It was on our list, but DH nuked it, but we had a girl anyway.) Welcome to your little guy!
#4 of 7 Old 09-03-2007, 02:36 PM

congratulations mama!! i'm so glad everything worked out.

Single mama to Alex(13), Maddy(12), Sam(8), Violet(6), and Ruby(3). fly-by-nursing1.gif
#5 of 7 Old 09-03-2007, 08:32 PM

Congratulations!
#6 of 7 Old 09-03-2007, 09:51 PM

Congratulations..praise God for His providence!!
btw..love CS Lewis

momma to my girls (9) (7) (4) (3) (7m) &
my little ones held only in my heart 4/12-17/00~8/01-twins~11/04~3/05~11/08
#7 of 7 Old 09-04-2007, 01:54 AM

Congratulations!

: Mom to a wonderful teen girl, a happy little boy and a cute baby girl

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page