Belly Button Stink? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 09-10-2007, 08:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So Ds's bell button just fell off, but there is still a little bit of... goo?... left in there, and it REEKS! Anyone else have this? How long does it last? Should I worry about it?

Sarahknit.gifmarried to Kylehopmad.gif Mama to Orion  bouncy.gif08/07 and introducing Alice! babygirl.gif 02/11
DCP to 1 busy munchkin! and a CRST too!

#2 of 11 Old 09-10-2007, 08:46 PM
PPK

I would get a doctor to check it out. The Dr. Sears book says that if it smells really offensive, it could be there is an infection. My ds's never had an odor, so I can't say..but it doesn't sound healthy, I'd definatley get it checked.
#3 of 11 Old 09-10-2007, 10:19 PM

a little stink is normal but if it's foul and theres pus and the area around it is red, could be an infection. how is the baby acting? any unusual fussiness at all?

Amanda - wife to DH Kellyjog.gif, Mummers to Trentreading.gif born 03/03/05 Bridgetdust.gif born 08/08/07 and a IT'S A BOY! Kennedy babyboy.gifborn 02/20/11!
#4 of 11 Old 09-11-2007, 12:51 AM

I agree, a bad smell is a sign of a possible problem. Both of my dd's had a slight odor, but not a foul smell. I would get it checked out.
#5 of 11 Old 09-11-2007, 11:57 AM

My baby's belly button smelled a little before it fell off, but my midwife told me to put some alchohol on it a couple times a day and it was fine.
#6 of 11 Old 09-11-2007, 12:17 PM

Some amount of bad smell is normal-the cord does rot off after all. A couple of times, I used a Q-tip dipped in witch hazel to wipe it out, then a dry Q-tip to dry out the witch hazel. It helped reduce the odor and clean out the goo.

Tis the season, for hot apple cider!
#7 of 11 Old 09-11-2007, 08:57 PM

odor is, from what I understand, normal (at least two of my kids had that, can't remember if all of them did). Redness is a problem. I put some breastmilk on ds's when it had fallen off but not dried up completely. I also swabbed inside w/hydrogen peroxide a couple of times a day until all the goopy parts were gone. Cleared up fine after that! HTH!
#8 of 11 Old 09-11-2007, 09:14 PM

i second the breastmilk idea. it has so many immune boosters in in that can really help your baby out. if it isn't red or he doesn't have a fever, i would try that for several days.
#9 of 11 Old 09-11-2007, 09:16 PM

DS's cord and belly button were very goopy and very stinky. His bellybutton also bled a tiny bit for a week or so after the cord fell off. DD's never stunk and never bled.

I think as long as it doesn't look red and infected it's pretty normal. I talked to my doctor about it and yeah, he said, it is flesh rotting and becoming gangrenous, so it's bound to be pretty nasty for a bit.
#10 of 11 Old 09-12-2007, 06:13 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the responses. All the goo is gone now, and the smell is much better. Not red at all, so I guess no infection or anything! It's nice to not deal with that smell anymore!

Sarahknit.gifmarried to Kylehopmad.gif Mama to Orion  bouncy.gif08/07 and introducing Alice! babygirl.gif 02/11
DCP to 1 busy munchkin! and a CRST too!

#11 of 11 Old 09-14-2007, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jster View Post
odor is, from what I understand, normal (at least two of my kids had that, can't remember if all of them did). Redness is a problem. I put some breastmilk on ds's when it had fallen off but not dried up completely. I also swabbed inside w/hydrogen peroxide a couple of times a day until all the goopy parts were gone. Cleared up fine after that! HTH!
:

It is rotting flesh after all. LOL

Single mama to Alex(13), Maddy(12), Sam(8), Violet(6), and Ruby(3). fly-by-nursing1.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page