sorry i've been MIA - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 09-27-2007, 10:13 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Nolan was born on aug. 26th 2007. He weighed 8lbs 12 oz and 22" long. I was in labor for 38 hours with 3.5 hours of pushing. i really wanted to do the whole thing natural, but after 30 hours of labor (the last 3 staying stuck at 6cm) the midwife decided to give me pitocin and I opted for an epidural because i was EXHAUSTED and she was worried that if i didn't rest, i'd end up with a c-sec because i'd be too tired to push. After all that, and having it been so long since my water broke, my baby had a fever so he was rushed to the NICU after I only got to hold him for about 20 minutes. He did breastfeed right away though so that was nice. While in the NICU they discovered that he has a heart defect. It is called Tetralogy of Fallot. He ended up in the NICU for 5 days (2 days after I was discharged) and we now need to get him corrective surgery when he's 3 months old. We live in Vermont, but will need to travel down to Boston for the surgery. I'm sorry I haven't posted in so long, but the birth experience for me was quite emotionally tramautic to say the least. I never left his side in the NICU. I literally camped out in a chair next to him and held/breastfed him as much as possible. The only time i would leave was go eat and then i would come back to find a nurse trying to give him a paci/formula/etc. I was very annoyed by this because i said NO ARTIFICIAL NIPPLE/BREASTMILK ONLY! grr. But luckily because of all my efforts breastfeeding went off to a great start and is still going strong today! My little man just turned a month old yesterday and is now up to 10 lbs 6 oz. I love him with all my heart! And if you are still reading this...THANK YOU...i know it's long! Hopefully I will post my actual birth story soon.

me, dh and 2 boys = our family (oh and a cat...who is also a male...lol)
#2 of 9 Old 09-27-2007, 03:58 PM

Congratulations!
#3 of 9 Old 09-27-2007, 08:22 PM

Congratulations! Sounds like a very tough experience, but I'm glad you all came through it so well. 30 hours of natural labor is a huge accomplishment, and it sounds like the interventions you had were very appropriate for your situation. What will the surgery entail?

lucky mom to Oliver, 8/6/07, and Finn, 11/28/10, and wife to DH
#4 of 9 Old 09-27-2007, 09:04 PM

congratulations! And good for you for doing such a great job breastfeeding!!
We just had a friend who had a baby with a heart defect. They thought she'd need surgery but found out last week that it's not necessary. Maybe the same will happen for you. And if not, I pray for a perfect recovery for your little one.
#5 of 9 Old 09-27-2007, 11:49 PM

Congratulations on your baby!
That's wonderful he is breastfeeding so well. Good for you!
#6 of 9 Old 09-28-2007, 11:41 AM

Congratulations on the birth of your son! Sorry both you and Nolan has such a rough start. Sounds like things are looking up for you though! Hang in there momma, you are doing a wonderful job. I will add you both to the welcome thread
#7 of 9 Old 09-28-2007, 01:28 PM

Congrats! Way to go with such a long, tough labor. Can you believe its over?

I also live in VT.. I'm sorry the hosp didn't respect your requests that's ridiculous... may i ask if it was in burlington? I'm glad your child is home with you now. Thoughts are with you and yours surrounding his procedure.
#8 of 9 Old 09-28-2007, 03:49 PM

Congratulations! I hope all goes well with Nolan.

(And why are hospitals so disrespectful!:?! )
#9 of 9 Old 10-06-2007, 03:53 AM

Oh mama, congratulations!!

Single mama to Alex(13), Maddy(12), Sam(8), Violet(6), and Ruby(3). fly-by-nursing1.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page