Baby poop? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 09-30-2007, 02:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My baby is 5 weeks and hasn't pooped in 4 days? She pees, passes gas no problem. She is strictly breastfeeding! Never had this with my other children. She just got a bit of the sniffles don't know if that has anythign to do with it. How can I get her to poop? Help.
#2 of 10 Old 09-30-2007, 02:40 PM

I've not had this experience as my babe is still pooping too many times a day to count. My mw did say that as the baby gets a little older, she may go a couple of days without pooping b/c breastmilk is so completely digested. She'll probably be good and poopy for you soon.
#3 of 10 Old 09-30-2007, 05:08 PM

My oldest once went 10 days!!!! when he was about 6 weeks old. He wasn't in pain and didn't seem 'off'...just one day....we had the 'motherload' of poop and he pooped a few times that day, and then back to normal. My youngest did something similar but only 6 or 7 days when he was a few months old. I think it's okay for them to go even a week so long as they aren't in pain or acting fussy or anything.

~Mama to my boys~ to a teen, a tween & a toddler and surro-mama to twins and their sister

Livin' in the sticks with my chicks chicken3.gif and lovin' it!

2014:  4/52 projects  0/2014 things 0/52 books

#4 of 10 Old 10-01-2007, 12:20 AM

Breastmilk is so digestable they won't poop until they have to replace their bile. DS went a week last time and is now on 7 days with no poop. This used to happen with DD. The longest she went without poop was like 23 days. His farts smell awful though.
#5 of 10 Old 10-01-2007, 01:30 AM

DS1 did this too. I think he was a few months old when he went the longest: 15 days once. Just check their tummies and make sure they're soft and not tender. As long as they're peeing and passing gas, and not losing weight, all is fine.

I've heard that after 3 weeks you should check with a doctor. But, I've also heard you should check after 1 week.

Danell - Craft Savvy mama to Evan (3/31/06) and Andre (8/29/07)
#6 of 10 Old 10-01-2007, 09:57 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyttlewon View Post
Breastmilk is so digestable they won't poop until they have to replace their bile. DS went a week last time and is now on 7 days with no poop. This used to happen with DD. The longest she went without poop was like 23 days. His farts smell awful though.
Yeah, dd farts smell horrible. Just seems so odd to me cause my other dd's pooped almost after each feeding.
#7 of 10 Old 10-01-2007, 09:59 AM - Thread Starter

If she doesn't poop in a couple more days I guess I'll call the doc.
#8 of 10 Old 10-02-2007, 03:15 PM

What I do when I have a non-pooping kid is the "I Love You" tummy massage. You massage the tummy in a clockwise, circular motion for a bit, then you take your fingers and press gently to do the "I Love You." It's easier with a drawing to look at, but I'll try to explain. You begin with your fingers (I use the index and middle fingers together), and you make a line (the "I") from the bottom of the righthand (your right hand) ribcage down to the groin. Then you place your fingers below the far left corner of the lefthand ribcage and make a line across to the right and down to the groin again (the upside down "L"). Lastly, you place your fingers on the left upper groin and make an unpside down "U" shape that follows the path you just traced for the "I" and "L." You repeat this over and over until you don't feel any gas bubbles moving around anymore. I like to do it on the changing table, it seems to be the most comfortable for both baby and me. For my older dd, I do it on the bed. It's basically a massage that traces the large and small intestines in the direction of the colon. It gets things moving. I find that my girls will poop within 12-24 hours of the massage. OH, DON'T FORGET TO USE OIL OR LOTION.
Good luck and I hope your baby poops soon!
#9 of 10 Old 10-04-2007, 03:20 PM - Thread Starter

She pooped! Thanks for the massage instructions!!
#10 of 10 Old 10-06-2007, 04:02 AM

I have heard of that, but all of my kids have pooped at least a tiny bit a few times a day. This time thoguh she has gone a day without pooping, and then has a giant messy poop the next.

Single mama to Alex(13), Maddy(12), Sam(8), Violet(6), and Ruby(3). fly-by-nursing1.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page