12 year old wetting the bed - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#61 of 66 Old 12-11-2008, 10:37 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by panamama View Post
i just wanted to offer one of the most awesome suggestions i've ever heard to those of you with bed-wetters. this was originally suggested for babies/cribs and diaper leak issues, but i think it would work just as well with bigger kids.

double-make the bed!

from the bottom (mattress) up :
  • regular fitted sheet
  • flat sheet
  • rubber sheet/pad
  • another regular fitted sheet
  • another flat sheet
  • blankets/duvet/comforter

this way, if the bed is wet it can be easily stripped and there is already a fresh, dry set of sheets for kiddo to go back to sleep on. this can make middle-of-the night bed issues SO MUCH easier....b/c, really, who wants to make the bed at 2:00 a.m?

THat is such a great idea!

Melanie- Mama to my super hero daughter superhero.gif bravely battling brain cancer. ribbongrey.gif ribbongold.gif  www.fightformaddie.com  and expecting 1sttri.gif 1/13!!!!

#62 of 66 Old 12-15-2008, 04:31 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hi. I wrote a research paper on bed wetting in college, and this question is asked so frequently that I typed up a standard response to it. Adjust the instructions for gender.

1. She should increase the amount of water (not juice or milk or soda) she drinks before 3:00, maybe 2 extra glasses. This will give more opportunities to do steps 2 and 3.
2. When she needs to go pee, she should wait a few minutes before going to the toilet. She may be able to wait only 2 minutes in the beginning. She should be able to work up to 15 minutes. Don't have her wait longer than that, however, because it can lead to bladder infections. This will both stretch out the bladder so that it can hold more and strengthen the sphincter muscles holding in the pee.
3. Teach her kegels. The easiest way is to teach her how to stop the flow of pee. You can demonstrate if you like. Again, this will strengthen the muscles. It is important to do this at the begining of the flow and to push the pee out at the end to avoid bladder infections.

Doing these 3 things sometimes eliminates bed wetting entirely, and sometimes reduces it. If that doesn't work, using a wetness alarm is the most effective way to stop bed wetting. Don't use it until a child is at least 6.
#63 of 66 Old 12-15-2008, 04:45 PM

I don't have time to read all of the posts, but I had to respond. I wet my bed until I was about 13. It wasn't every night, but at least twice a week. It was horrible and my mom tried everything with me. What finally worked was her taking me to a hypnotist. I know, this may sound a bit crazy, but it really worked. I have no memory of going, but my mom says that the hypnotist told me that I would feel when I had to use the bathroom, wake up, go to the bathroom, then go back to bed and fall right back to sleep. I've never had an accident since! Just thought I would share since it was something that really worked and completely changed my life.
#64 of 66 Old 12-16-2008, 02:06 AM

I love the idea of the pads. I used them when I was pregnant. They worked great and made clean up easy. No need to change a sheet, just toss the wet one and lay down a fresh pad.

They worked great for my bed wetting, co-sleeping DD too.

One happy momma joy.gif to a very spirited little girl dust.gif, her tough little brother superhero.gif, and a happy little suprise late April 2012 stork-suprise.gif. Wife to an overworked and under paid husband geek.gif.

#65 of 66 Old 12-17-2008, 02:12 PM

When our two nephews (8 and 11) lived with us for a few years due to a divorce situation, the oldes continually wet the bed. As did his 13 yo step-brother who stayed with us eow. Doctors said the muscles in little boys which allow them to "hold it" doesn't completely develop til 14 or so. I too was tired of the smell and the inconvenience of laundry daily. Both of his parents were in denial (he'd hide the wet laundry while with them). After discussion with him, I began waking him at 2am daily to pee. Sometimes it helped, sometimes not. But I think it helped him knowing I was on his side, and that he was trying. Finally he moved back in with his dad, a blazing alcoholic. C is now 22 and a new dad himself. He quit wetting the bed by 16. With all my heart I believe the alcoholism in his home and the divorce effected him and his brothers which came out in the night time wetting of the bed. Whether it was lack of ability to sleep in a way that would allow his natural body urges to wake him, or lack of self esteem.....I don't know. My heart goes out to you and to him.
#66 of 66 Old 12-24-2008, 07:16 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I used a bedwetting alarm with both of my older children. At first I was extremely skeptical but it worked really well. We had tried a lot of strategies before trying the alarm. We had the bed set up with a waterproof mattress cover, regular fitted sheet then rubberized flannel sheet. After the first pee of the night DC would take off the rubberized sheet and put it on the floor with the pee side in and put on new underpants/t-shirt. If DC peed again that night then the rubberized sheet would go back on the bed with the pee side down. When we started using the alarm we also started having them 'double void' before bed. They have to at least try to go pee twice - once at the beginning of the bedtime routine and once right before getting in bed.

It doesn't work for everyone but I figured that with the alarm being the same price as a couple packs of pull-ups we may as well try. I would recommend it to anyone. I bought the Palco brand of alarm off ebay. I think it was about $28. There's also a book that I bought for about $10 that went through how to use it. I can't remember the title and I lent it to a friend but I bought it on ebay and I think it had a bear on the front of it. Please, at least give it a try, I can not express how thankful I am that we tried it.

Gillian - Wife to an amazing DH, Mother to 4 wonderful kiddos . . . and now another on the way.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page