Preteens and movies... would you let your 13yo see this? - Page 4 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#91 of 103 Old 11-26-2008, 02:47 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda on the move View Post
I find it entertaining that their attraction is based on.......

uh....

She smells good and he is nice looking.

Did I miss something?

Anyway, we saw the movie yesterday and I think that not letting a teen see it would save them from cheesy mellow drama and bad acting.

My DDs loved it.
Right, exactly, LOL. And, on top of that, she smells good to him like raw steak smells good to my dog. It was too weird for me - the whole not being able to be close because he might lose control and eat her.

There's a good foundation for a solid relationship!

First special delivery - April 2010 :
#92 of 103 Old 11-26-2008, 11:09 AM

It's a book!

It's a movie!

I am always a little freaked out when I hear about people being afraid books or movies or music or games might have some ability to affect their children's perception of the real world.

My daughter and I both know the chances of either of us meeting and falling in love with a vampire who wants us but might eat us are SLIM.
#93 of 103 Old 11-26-2008, 01:18 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherie2 View Post
so i am curious if she ever got to see the movie?

Not yet. The only nights dh or the kids go to the movies is Tuesdays (cheap night) and they weren't able to make it last night. Maybe next week.

mama to the Girls (15, 14, 13) and the Littles (5, 3) 
#94 of 103 Old 11-26-2008, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama_ani View Post

Not yet. The only nights dh or the kids go to the movies is Tuesdays (cheap night) and they weren't able to make it last night. Maybe next week.
Keep us updated

Mom to DD born 1989 DS born 1993 and grandma to
DGS born 2005
#95 of 103 Old 11-26-2008, 06:15 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oriole View Post
* There is no sex, there is no nudity, there are only a few kisses.
* You never watch anyone being killed. It is implied on couple of occasions, but that's it.
* The final fight you see at the end doesn't get much more gruesome that what you see in the previews. The good guys win. (yey for the good guys!)
*The vampires don't even have sharpened teeth! They only have funky super powers, one can read minds, another one can calm down upset people, another one can see variations of a future, etc. Nothing violent.
* The main group of vampires does NOT drink people's blood, they are vegetarians. heh

So...... It's really just a love story.
:

My son has always been very good about movies- I would have let him watch it anywhere after three or four years old. He's 13 now and might be going to see it with my sister-in-law this weekend. My little girl is 8 and I'd let her watch it now, if she was interested. It would probably do her good, that not all vampires are evil.

I pray for the day Family Court recognizes that CHILDREN have rights, parents only have PRIVILEGES.  Only then, will I know my child is safe.
#96 of 103 Old 11-26-2008, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda on the move View Post

Anyway, we saw the movie yesterday and I think that not letting a teen see it would save them from cheesy mellow drama and bad acting.
My DD would completely agree. She loveslovesLOVES the books, bought them all, has read each one many times over, dressed up and went to Borders to get her copy of Breaking Dawn at midnight, the whole deal.

She HATED the movie, and she knew she would. She thinks it was very badly cast, and that it was poorly acted. She found it to be a huge disappointment and a terrible waste of good babysitting $$$.

Every baptized Christian is, or should be, someone with an actual (disturbing) experience, ... a close encounter, with God; someone who, as a result, becomes a disturbing presence to others. - Fr. Anthony J. Gittins, A Presence That Disturbs
#97 of 103 Old 11-27-2008, 09:14 PM

My 13 year olds went to see it with a group of friends. They hadn't read the books but now that they know a little about the story they want to. When they came out of the movie we asked how it was - one of them said it was fun to go with all the other kids & the other one said that the acting was bad & the script was very poorly written. (grandfather is a director )
#98 of 103 Old 11-28-2008, 04:15 PM

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor View Post
Right, exactly, LOL. And, on top of that, she smells good to him like raw steak smells good to my dog.
I told my DDs you said this and they laughed hard. We discussed how realistic the relationship is (or I should say "isn't") and they said that it is a vampire story, "you know mom, like a fairy tale. You read it because it is fun, but because it is how life is."

Quote:
It was too weird for me - the whole not being able to be close because he might lose control and eat her.
I think that it is about not being able to be close to someone without fear that one of you will loose control sexually. This book/movie is most popular with girls who are just starting to get interested boys and have been raised in a world where sex can equal death.

but everything has pros and cons  shrug.gif

#99 of 103 Old 11-29-2008, 12:21 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I can't wait till it comes to the $3 movie theater by my house. I'd let my 13 year old see it if she had read the book.

Quote:
I've gotta get on the wagon here of letting children watch movies like Saw is just beyond disturbing to me. I can't even imagine their feelings... and all the 'oh we discuss it' lines are not going to help that. A two year old can NOT process that level of violence, I don't care who you say you are.
Seriously.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
13yo ds   10yo dd  8yo ds and 6yo ds and 1yo ds  
#100 of 103 Old 12-01-2008, 11:17 AM

COMMENT ON OFF TOPIC DISCUSSION-

When I was a kid some of my family would let all the little kids- including me- watch things like friday the 13th. I was about 6 or 7. Because of the kind of kid I was I removed myself because I was scared and knew I would have nightmares. I still have huge guilt for not protecting my other (even younger!) cousins from watching gore and horror so young. I think with more information none of them would have "chosen" to watch it. The reality was that the adults wanted to watch it and didn't want to have their desires modified by the presence of the kids. Selfish imo.
My 2 cents is that even graphic sex (no rape or wierdness) is so much better than graphic violence. My rational is that we all have sex but not many of us pick up and AK47 or go chainsaw on our nieghbors.
So I limit all violence but am quite a bit more forgiving of sex in movies. Just my take.
#101 of 103 Old 12-01-2008, 11:53 AM

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamahart View Post
The reality was that the adults wanted to watch it and didn't want to have their desires modified by the presence of the kids.
I think there is a big difference between adults choosing to watch something inspite of the fact that they are forcing children to also watch it, and adults allowing older children or teens to make their own choices about what they want to watch.

but everything has pros and cons  shrug.gif

#102 of 103 Old 12-03-2008, 11:59 AM

I took my 15 yo DD and her friend.

DS wants to go see it with a girl from school.

I did not take my 10 year old dd because she is easily scared, but I will (after seeing it) let her see it when it comes out on dvd.

My 15 yo was unimpressed and proclaimed the whole thing is "RUINED." I guess it didn't measure up to her imagination.

I am in line to read the books (That I bought) that are being passed around. LOL.
#103 of 103 Old 12-03-2008, 09:23 PM

My13y/o DD, her freind my 10y/o son and I saw it last night. The book is MUCH better. The movie skipped the teasing/ relationship building elements of the book and jumped from scene to scene. They could have played up the girls clumsiness in gymclass and her fainting in biology not only to add some humor but show how the pattern of the vampire's "rescuing" her from silly stuff pushes them into situations where they develop a friendship. It's really difficult from the movie to see why they are friends at all. In one scene he is repulsed by her and in the next they are inseparable? Much of the books plot was left out and only the most basic-cheesiest kind of stuff was shot. The boy vampire looking confused/bewildered/anguished or angry alternately and the girl full of angst and mopey most of the time. There were a few beautiful scenery screen shots. The make up was obvious-Peewee Hermon type pancake make up to make the vampires look pale. The male stars eyebrow pencil, eyeliner and lipstick obvious. The vampire dad/doctor had badly bleached blond hair and more pan cake make up. The fight scene was pretty intense. I dunno. The book itself is definately fun teen fiction-a good read but not exactly Shakespear. The movie would have been much better had they developed the characters more and let the kids relationship develope more slowly. As it was it appears the boy likes her because she smells delicious and she seems only into his looks.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page