My 13 year old son caught doing marijuana - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 79 Old 12-09-2008, 02:59 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
For those who smoke anything but medical marijuana - how much do you know about where it comes from? I'd like to think that you are all getting it from a hippie uncle who grows it in his basement.

I wouldnt treat the kind of pot we were around as kids any differently than a conflict diamond. Somewhere up the line there was blood on it. .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 of 79 Old 12-09-2008, 03:13 AM

I'm in Canada.

A federal Permit is required for medicinal use. Otherwise possession smaller than 30g is classified as Schedule VIII, more than 30g but less than 3kg is Schedule VII, and exceeding 3kg is schedule II.

For Schedule VIII the maximum is $1000 and or 6 months in prison.

Schedule VII it's 5 years in prision.

Schedule II is five years for possesion and life for production, sale and exportation.

Many locals in Canada purposely don't impose the possesion laws.

Medical marijuana is legal.

Over the past 8 years a number of court rulings have basically invalidated the laws against marijuana. The first (2000) ruled that because there was no exemption for medical marijuana, the prohibition was invalid. It was overturned. In 2007 it was again ruled invalid because while there was an exemption for medical marijuana the government didn't provide access to it, there for the prohibition was invalid. Later that year, the appeal ruling was the same. It was an invalid law. In January 2008 laws surrounding how someone could get medical marijuana (there was one licenced producer in Canada) made it too difficult to aquire and those regulations were ruled invalid.

So... yeah... we're not at any real solid laws right now regarding pot. I strongly feel we are getting closer to legalization. It's not just BC, a majority of Canadians believe in the legalization of marijuana too.

malesling.GIFMutant Papa to DD (12)hippie.gif and DS (2)babyf.gif, married to DHribbonrainbow.gif
If it looks like I'm trying to pick a fight... I'm not, I'm rarely that obvious.hammer.gif
#63 of 79 Old 12-09-2008, 03:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlmostAPpropriate View Post
For those who smoke anything but medical marijuana - how much do you know about where it comes from? I'd like to think that you are all getting it from a hippie uncle who grows it in his basement.

I wouldnt treat the kind of pot we were around as kids any differently than a conflict diamond. Somewhere up the line there was blood on it. .
No hippy uncle, just a hippiesh friend who has a couple of plants. That's the big one in our house regarding pot. Where it comes from. DD knows she'll get in more trouble for smoking pot from someone she doesn't know well then from actually smoking it.

malesling.GIFMutant Papa to DD (12)hippie.gif and DS (2)babyf.gif, married to DHribbonrainbow.gif
If it looks like I'm trying to pick a fight... I'm not, I'm rarely that obvious.hammer.gif
#64 of 79 Old 12-09-2008, 03:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MusicianDad View Post
No hippy uncle, just a hippiesh friend who has a couple of plants. ....
: Thank you for buying responsibly.
#65 of 79 Old 12-09-2008, 03:23 AM

Your welcome. Not about to smoke something laced with god knows what... I wanna relax, not trip.

#66 of 79 Old 12-09-2008, 10:03 AM

Quote:
I still feel like many are missing the point. Even if pot is relatively harmless and not likely to lead to addiction.

It is illegal and being caught with it opens up both the child and their family long-term consequences.

Take shoplifting. I doubt many kids who lift a candybar turn into bank robbers. Most get away with it, some have to deal with mom and dad when the store owner busts them, but some get caught by a business owner who has had enough and is out to make an example - dragging the entire family into a incredibly stressful mess.

I am not one to live my life in fear worrying about all the what if's - keeping my kid in a carseat until graduation or forbidding any commercially prepared treat because of an infinitesimal chance of triggering disease - but I also wont tolerate illegal self-indulgence, masquerading as a rite of passage, to put my family at risk.
some of us arent missing the point. we just disagree with it. which is fine..this is the internet. opinions are very diverse.

to me, smoking pot is not the same as taking another's property. they just are not in the same realm of "crimes".

i dont view pot smoking as illegal self-indulgence...and in most places there isnt a huge risk, although there is some.

ftr, i never smoked pot as a teenager (well unless he coudl 18 as a teenager, which i guess technically it is but i was an adult at the time).

i just think we as parents have to continue parenting our teenagers as we parent toddlers or younger children..they need to learn to make their own mistakes. the earlier the better for some kids.

what worries me more about the OPs post is a 13 yo working. in teh summer time, i wouldnt blink an eye but during the school year, i think that is going to be a bit stressful for the family.
#67 of 79 Old 12-09-2008, 10:06 AM

One thing that would really concern me is that recently there have been several studies that show that marijuana use can have very bad effects on people that are pre-disposed to mental illness. If I recall correctly, it suggested that it can actually cause some diseases like schizophrenia to manifest when otherwise they might not have - my memory is slightly sketchy on the details.

I do remember quite clearly that it wasn't a matter of continued use though, it could be after just one use. Brain chemistry is a weird thing.

I think 13 is really too young myself; kids that age have less ability to judge and predict consequences, and using a substance that could increase that tendency strikes me as a bad idea. I also have a lot of potheads in my family and that is NOT something I would want for my kids. Interestingly they are all boys (the potheads that is) I wonder if that is significant?

I like the mind to be a dustbin of scraps of brilliant fabric, odd gems, worthless but fascinating curiosities, tinsel, quaint bits of carving, and a reasonable amount of healthy dirt.
#68 of 79 Old 12-09-2008, 11:04 AM

Several of us in my family use to smoke it as teens. I just decided it was stupid and didn't do it anymore. One other person ended up moving onto hardcore stuff like acid and ended up doing a few stints in rehab and got it together. Another ended up keeping up his idiotic stuff and ended up in rehab and jail, then homeless. He didn't start getting his life together until about three years ago. I would never be supportive of my children doing any kind of drug, regardless of how "pure" they think it is. The person who supplied my stuff was lacing it and didn't bother to tell me. I had several times that I thought I was going to die. It's not worth it.

Drug convictions are something that follow you around for life as well. Those who end up in jail at younger ages, are more likely to keep ending up there. I don't want to see my child in and out of jail.

Mommy to ds12, dd11, ds8, ds6, dd4, ^dd^ HB Loss, and dd 1
#69 of 79 Old 12-09-2008, 11:49 AM

ftr i agree that if your smoking pot you need to know where its coming from. any pot i smoked was from a plant i watched grow... not my plant but people i was close to and spent a lot of time with

that is one of the reasons i think the pot should be legal. lacing wouldn't be an issue if it were legal. and *maybe* some people who go on to harder drugs had pot that was unknowingly laced with something.
#70 of 79 Old 01-13-2009, 10:04 PM

I have not finished reading all the other responses because I absolutely HAD to respond to this. MDC is a place that has been such an important factor in my journey. I Found MDC after I got home from the hospital with a new baby 5 years ago. I was your average mainstream woman 5 years ago. But this group here has opened me to SO many things I never cared to acknowledge or research....Circumcision is optional? Theres another way? What?? tell me more.....You can raise a child with out beatings and emotional torture? Tell me more....I can birth normally? What??? Tell me more. I dont have to vaccinate? its my choice? well, I dont know, why vaccinate? why not? tell me more.

But now, Im going to tell you more. Its my turn. Im not going to preach that marijuana is this wonderherb and everyone should be partaking, and it doesnt matter if your 13 year old does it......But I CAN NOT just shut my mouth and allow this garbage propaganda to swirl around. Allow me to de-bunk some of this post.....It'll be like myth busters..... [/B]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porcelain Interior View Post
You've never heard of negative side effects of marijuana use?

I'll give you some.

1. You're lighting something on fire and inhaling it- it is now a carcinogen (cancer causing substance). *Unless he's eating it "raw". You could light basil on fire and it would become a toxic substance.[COLOR="Purple"]

Study finds no cancer

And how about this one....“We know that there are as many or more carcinogens and co-carcinogens in marijuana smoke as in cigarettes,” researcher Donald Tashkin, MD, of UCLA’s David Geffen School of Medicine tells WebMD. “But we did not find any evidence for an increase in cancer risk for even heavy marijuana smoking.” Carcinogens are substances that cause cancer."
Not enough for you? Google "marijuana cause cancer" See what you find. Do your own research, just like you would when deciding to vax, circ, or birth at home, uc, etc.

2. Marijuana causes psychological disturbances in certain people. I'm one of them. I get really really bad effects that cause me to be mentally unstable.
: "There is no convincing scientific evidence that marijuana causes psychological damage or mental illness in either teenagers or adults. Some marijuana users experience psychological distress following marijuana ingestion, which may include feelings of panic, anxiety, and paranoia. Such experiences can be frightening, but the effects are temporary. With very large doses, marijuana can cause temporary toxic psychosis. This occurs rarely, and almost always when marijuana is eaten rather than smoked. Marijuana does not cause profound changes in people's behavior." Theres a whole list of studies at the above site.

3. Most kids that smoke pot end up getting into other things, experimenting with popping pills, getting drunk, inhaling dust off- glue etc and so forth.

This is entirely untrue, unfounded, and yet another HUGE myth that comes straight from scare tactics your mother dished out on you. As a matter of fact, the OPPOSITE has actually been PROVEN. At some point maybe youd like to get to googling these....

* Morral, Andrew R.; McCaffrey, Daniel F. and Susan M. Paddock. “Reassessing the marijuana gateway effect.” Addiction 97.12 (2002): 1493-504.
*United States. National Household Survey on Drug Abuse: Population Estimates 1994. Rockville, MD: U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, 1995.
* ---. National Household Survey on Drug Abuse: Main Findings 1994. Rockville, MD: U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, 1996.

*D.B. Kandel and M. Davies, “Progression to Regular Marijuana Involvement: Phenomenology and Risk Factors for Near-Daily Use,” Vulnerability to Drug Abuse, Eds. M. Glantz and R. Pickens. Washington, D.C.: American Psychological Association, 1992: 211-253.

"Marijuana does not cause people to use hard drugs. What the gateway theory presents as a causal explanation is a statistic association between common and uncommon drugs, an association that changes over time as different drugs increase and decrease in prevalence. Marijuana is the most popular illegal drug in the United States today. Therefore, people who have used less popular drugs such as heroin, cocaine, and LSD, are likely to have also used marijuana. Most marijuana users never use any other illegal drug. Indeed, for the large majority of people, marijuana is a terminus rather than a gateway drug."

4. Being loaded causes you to make stupid and risky decisions, coupled with teenagers sense of immortality and lower impulse control this is really dangerous. Another myth...common scare tactic.....Exactly what they put in those anti marijuana ads on television. You cant go 10 minutes without seeing one of these. Find a study that proves it to me....in the meanwhile while you search hard and wide for it (there are no controlled studies to prove it) here are a few tidbits proving the opposite.
Here
And more...."Marijuana produces immediate, temporary changes in thoughts, perceptions, and information processing. The cognitive process most clearly affected by marijuana is short-term memory. In laboratory studies, subjects under the influence of marijuana have no trouble remembering things they learned previously. However, they display diminished capacity to learn and recall new information. This diminishment only lasts for the duration of the intoxication. There is no convincing evidence that heavy long-term marijuana use permanently impairs memory or other cognitive functions."

5. Some people have addictive personalities, so pot might not be so benign.

M"Most people who smoke marijuana smoke it only occasionally. A small minority of Americans - less than 1 percent - smoke marijuana on a daily basis. An even smaller minority develop a dependence on marijuana. Some people who smoke marijuana heavily and frequently stop without difficulty. Others seek help from drug treatment professionals. Marijuana does not cause physical dependence. If people experience withdrawal symptoms at all, they are remarkably mild."
And some more

If my kids try it I will want to know why, and I will want to figure out what led them to believe it was ok. In our house it's not ok at all.

I respect that others don't freak out over "mere" marijuana, but it's brought nothing but grief on my family.

Im sorry that you feel that marijuana has had greivous effect for your family. I just have to speak up at the misinformation. Especially because, this is after all, MDC and "Our discussions on the boards are about the real world of mothering and are first and foremost, for support and information. "

Im a broc1.giflovinghippie.giffly-by-nursing2.gifcd.gif  novaxnocirc.gif
#71 of 79 Old 01-13-2009, 10:39 PM

Quote:

Really good article on this here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluegoat View Post
One thing that would really concern me is that recently there have been several studies that show that marijuana use can have very bad effects on people that are pre-disposed to mental illness. If I recall correctly, it suggested that it can actually cause some diseases like schizophrenia to manifest when otherwise they might not have - my memory is slightly sketchy on the details.

I do remember quite clearly that it wasn't a matter of continued use though, it could be after just one use. Brain chemistry is a weird thing.
mmm..... no..... No again.

There are simply no controlled studies to prove these myths and controlled studies that actually disprove them.

Im a broc1.giflovinghippie.giffly-by-nursing2.gifcd.gif  novaxnocirc.gif
#72 of 79 Old 01-13-2009, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porcelain Interior View Post
If a kid likes getting high from pot there are high odds that he'll try other highs.

That is what I meant. I don't know any teens that have ONLY used pot during their teen years.
I smoked it a lot at one point and have never tried any other drugs. However, I do know of a LOT of people who smoked pot and then moved on to other things for sure. I agree that it is certainly more likely to happen than not.
#73 of 79 Old 01-13-2009, 11:27 PM

keep in mind why mj was made illegal to begin with. i'll give you a hint. its not because it is completely useless and dangerous.
#74 of 79 Old 01-13-2009, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrspineau View Post
I smoked it a lot at one point and have never tried any other drugs. However, I do know of a LOT of people who smoked pot and then moved on to other things for sure. I agree that it is certainly more likely to happen than not.
not true. there is a study above that supports this. most people who do other drugs have done mj. but the reverse is 100% untrue. most people who smoke mj do not go on to try other drugs.
#75 of 79 Old 01-13-2009, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1littlebit View Post
keep in mind why mj was made illegal to begin with. i'll give you a hint. its not because it is completely useless and dangerous.
I'm pretty sure money was a big part of it...

#76 of 79 Old 01-14-2009, 01:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sg784 View Post
Really good article on this here
It was an interesting article but had nothing to do with what I was getting at, though I see the confusion.

My comparison was not in terms of where the profit goes but rather the treatment of the people involved in its growth and distribution.
#77 of 79 Old 01-14-2009, 01:46 AM

Quote:
It was an interesting article but had nothing to do with what I was getting at, though I see the confusion.

My comparison was not in terms of where the profit goes but rather the treatment of the people involved in its growth and distribution.
And the dangers of buying from the wrong person.

You really need to know where your getting pot from. That's why I like living in BC... If it doesn't come from my friend it probably comes from Chilliwack!

#78 of 79 Old 01-14-2009, 10:26 AM

I started smoking pot at 13 and 13 is just too young. It's also a natural time for humans to seek out altered states of conciuosness. Joseph Chilton Pearce discusses this at length in his books, Magical Child and Evolution's End.
There is still a lot of brain development taking place at this age....and well into one's 20's
I've been pretty frank with my older kids about my pot use as a teen and young adult. Too much too early. I became very apathetic and it took a tremendous effort to break out of the pot head lifestyle. I know many many folks for whom this was and still is true.
So far, it hasn't been an issue with their crowd, and I just show them what still needs to occur in their brains and to wait.
#79 of 79 Old 01-14-2009, 11:46 AM

Pot smoking is NOT O.K in my house. For any of us.

I tried it in high school. No, I didn't really take it any further than high school/college age. Except for a few times when I really wanted to dull a terrible emotional pain. (I was in my mid 20s then)

I think most kids try it at least a few times. But, most kids eventually come to the conclusion that their money is better spent on material objects like cars, or clothes.

I don't know a single person who can drive or operate machinery when they are high. But, THEY think that not only can they drive, they think they actually drive BETTER. I can't imagine that they could even have that illusion. They claim it makes them more aware.

I know LOTS of people who were potheads in high school that are now drug addicts at the age of 45. Two of those men are STILL living with their mothers. They have never moved out. One of them still lives in the same bedroom with the same furniture he had in 1980. He said "My mom won't buy me a new bed".

Obviously, it wasn't the pot that caused them to keep living with mom, there are clearly other issues there. But, the pot made them dull in high school, and I doubt they are much better now.

I hope your son just wants to experiment with it, not make it a lifetime habit. I don't blame you for being upset. I would let him know that you absolutely do NOT approve of pot use, but it sure is nice that he told you the truth! At that age, I would have lied.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page