Smoking?? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-14-2009, 07:41 PM
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Where would a 9 and 10 year old get the money or access to cigs? A slightly older teen (or a teen at all) I could see but 9 and 10 year olds don't usually have jobs. ETA: I am asking for the 9& 10 yos who smoked regularly, I can see how they could get a few from older friends.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-14-2009, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shann View Post
I have 2 boys, ages 14 and 13 now who have smoked since about ages 10 and 9. I tried everything under the sun to get them to stop (punishing, grounding, taking away priveleges, etc., etc)....Guess what? NOTHING WORKED ! They still smoked ! Bottom line is that if they intend to smoke as kids, they are going to do it. I ended up having to admit defeat and just hope that at some time in the future reality sets in on them. I just let them know i love them and that my stand has not changed as to being opposed to it. But there really is nothing more I can do. Basically, they won the battle and I lost...and they are still smoking.
Can I ask where they are getting these cigarettes? They are locked up pretty well in most stores, and they are also very, very expensive. If your kids' allowance is enough to spend on cigarettes, would you be willing to adopt me?

But in all seriousness- smoking has been declining with children because of the expense, and stores being unwilling to deal with the head ache if they are caught selling to under-age kids. Do they have an older relative or friend who is giving them ciggies? How much are they getting a week, as far as cigarettes go?
Old 06-14-2009, 10:46 PM - Thread Starter

I know this wasn't directed towards me, but my guess is that either they or friends of theirs are stealing them from other people. Thats how the crowd around here gets it.

And as an update, my dd has not tried smoking again since and has no desire to from what she says. I believe her.

treehugger.gifAutistic pagan mama with five kiddos on the spectrum, learning through living life. autismribbon.gif  computergeek2.gif

Old 06-15-2009, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nature View Post
I know this wasn't directed towards me, but my guess is that either they or friends of theirs are stealing them from other people. Thats how the crowd around here gets it.

And as an update, my dd has not tried smoking again since and has no desire to from what she says. I believe her.
What a releif! thanks for the update I have been wondering how you and your dd are doing ..

Mom to DD born 1989 DS born 1993 and grandma to
DGS born 2005
Old 06-15-2009, 06:20 PM
Dar

Hi all,

I've removed some UA violations from this thread, and I've also locked it because it's an old thread and the OP has posted that the issue has been resolved. If you'd like to discuss children and smoking further, please start a new thread. I am leaving this on the boards for reference, though, because a lot of posters had helpful ideas and feedback.

Thanks,

Dar

fambedsingle1.gifSingle mom to Rain (1/93) , grad student, and world traveler earth.gif

User Tag List