High School Grad Gift? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 05-17-2009, 03:13 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My cousin will be the FIRST person in our family to go straight to a university out of high school. My Mom was the only one out of 5 kids to graduate from high school so going to college is a big deal. She has worked so hard for this. I have no idea what to get her. I want it to be something useful and special. Dorm room stuff is useful, but I want to get her something she will have for a long time, KWIM?

Mama to 3 amazing girls
#2 of 8 Old 05-17-2009, 06:09 AM

The family I used to babysit for (I was very close to them) bought me a nice daytimers when I graduated high school. They got me the first year refill and a nice folio with my initials on it. Very useful and nice gift I still have, long after my dorm microwave and fridge have gone to another student somewhere (or a landfill).

Mom to:

Three big girls  twins.gif (10) + joy.gif (almost 9!); 

One little boy ROTFLMAO.gif(6) and a full on toddler diaper.gif  (8/12) born with TAPVR heartbeat.gif (repaired at 6 days old).

#3 of 8 Old 05-17-2009, 09:16 AM

DSD is graduating in two years, and I am already planning...

I will be putting together "a little" basket with all kinds of stuff that one will need when starting to live on their own. Some items can be very personal, and others silly or useful.

Here is what I thought of so far:

Grocery gift card, a book on how to make the best of college, a roll of quarters for laundry, a planner, new pajamas, a plant (?), a nice notebook and a pen, a book on managing your finances, a piece of jewelry, pre-paid lunches university card, a frame for pictures, a small first aid kit (with band-aids and tylenol, etc), a book store gift card, a wallet, and an "I love you" letter.

Hope that helps.

New endeavor coming soon...
Raising Alice in Wonderland (DSD, 17), and in love with a Superman
#4 of 8 Old 05-17-2009, 10:24 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the ideas! I might pool money with my Mom so we have a little more to get her something.

She is graduating with honors, ranked 6th in her graduating class of 600+. Her parents are bursting with pride.

She got in to an awesome school. Can't wait to visit :

Mama to 3 amazing girls
#5 of 8 Old 05-17-2009, 02:54 PM

Organizational stuff, school supplies--nice pens, notebooks, etc. are always appreciated. I still have an awesome personalized pen I got from my aunt for my graduation present.

Is she going to be a going away to college, or staying local? If she's going away, maybe a nice comfy blanket that she can snuggle up with at night, or while doing her homework. Something like that goes a long way when or if she feels homesick.
#6 of 8 Old 05-19-2009, 12:13 PM
AAK

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
I was going to suggest the school supplies but someone beat me to it. But, seriously, other than MONEY, that was the best present I got at high school graduation. I was almost the only one in my dorm that came with a stapler & a three hole punch!

If she is going far, I would try to collect letters of encouragement/love/etc for her. Have them bound so that she can read about what makes her special when she is feeling homesick.

Amy

Mom to three very active girls Anna (14), Kayla (11), Maya (8). 
#7 of 8 Old 05-19-2009, 03:29 PM

My sister always makes a "post-secondary blankie" for those in our family who are headed onwards and upwards. They are special one-of-a-kind quilts.

When I had a very special "first in the family" grad, my parents gave me "The Compact Oxford English Dictionary". It is eleven volumes condensed into one, with a magnifying glass. I honestly have to say that once I got the kids out of the house, it would be what I would save if we had a fire. I love, love, love, love it.

Also, don't hesitate to ask your DSD what she'd like. She may have a long-time dream that isn't being realized.
#8 of 8 Old 05-19-2009, 03:32 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
I love the cozy blanket idea! She'll get a ton of use out of it and have it for years.

And honestly, while I know that school supplies can seem a little slight and silly, there was no gift I got more use out of. I had a stapler, a three-hole punch, a rainbow of highlighters, cute post-it notes... These days, a bunch of colorful sharpies for whiteboard notes would be cool.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page