What do you get a 13-year-old for her birthday? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 05-27-2009, 11:46 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My cousin is turning 13 next month. I'm not able to attend the party, but I want to send her a gift. I have no idea what to get her. For my 13th birthday, my only gift was the Celine Dion CD my mother wanted (I hate Celine Dion). So I don't really have any personal experience in that arena. I don't know her very well, so that makes it more difficult. I do know that she is VERY musical - sings like crazy and plays the violin. That's the extent of my knowledge.

What would you get her?

Mandy, )O(  Proud mommy of Taylor (1/6/05) jammin.gifand Abigail (4/21/11) slinggirl.gif
Loving wife of my gamer boy Michael. modifiedartist.gifBlog link in my profile! ribboncesarean.gif
#2 of 9 Old 05-29-2009, 02:20 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
If she writes her own music at all, you could get her some staff paper (you can find the blank stuff at any music/instrument store I think). If you know what level she's at with the violin, you can ask her mom what kind of music she's into playing. I have a couple sisters who LOVE music as well, and I got them some sheet music for popular songs or Broadway musicals they were into and they loved it. Also, for the violin, I have one sister who plays and I got her a cd of Itzhak (Isaac?) Perlman (pretty famous violinist) and she absolutely loved it.
#3 of 9 Old 05-29-2009, 11:51 AM

Gift certificate? Maybe there is a music store she loves? Or, would her parents know if she is saving toward something special that you could contribute to?

I recently gave a 13 y/o niece a totally funky tote bag with some magazines she likes in it. She loved it!
#4 of 9 Old 05-29-2009, 11:11 PM

A gift certificate to the store where she gets her rosin and her strings would be nice, if she plays fiddle.

If she has an ipod, a gift certificate to itunes would also be appreciated, I'll bet.
#5 of 9 Old 05-30-2009, 12:54 AM

This year we're just giving the "older" nieces & nephews $. Last year for my nephews 15th b-day we gave him $15--- a $10 bill oragami folded into a shirt & the $5 bill into pants. They were really easy to do (just "bing" them, lol) and it made me feel better about just giving money (instead of a "real" gift). He was thrilled.

#6 of 9 Old 05-30-2009, 02:13 AM

My little sister usually liked my gifts, even if she wouldn't admit it at the time. I always got her something distinctly NOT girly, not clothes, not typical. If she's in to music everyone else is probably getting her music stuff - it's easy. I'd look at something *different* - for her 13th birthday I got my sister a book on Feminism, and a t-shirt that said "this is what a feminist looks like." Yeah, she kinda rolled her eyes, but last year we were talking and she full on quoted one of the essays in the book I gave her. And there's more than a couple pictures on myspace of her wearing the shirt (after she cut off the sleeves and tailored it to fit better).
#7 of 9 Old 05-30-2009, 09:42 AM

I usually give cash or gift cards to the kids in my family that are over the age of 10. I know that my 14 y o loves getting that type of stuff himself so he can put it in savings or buy what he needs.

Proud *single* mom to 3 amazing kiddos
#8 of 9 Old 03-06-2011, 09:22 AM

I am twelve going on thirteen in literally two days, so I would advise perhaps chipping in for something like a Karoeke machine? If thats too old fashioned, does she have a wii? If so, I'd consider getting her a sing it game for the wii, or American Idol.

#9 of 9 Old 03-08-2011, 08:04 AM

Do you live close to her? If so, taking her to do something would be a nice treat. Maybe a concert featuring the violin and a nice lunch out. Or a "girl's" day  out with some shopping or a spa treatment. If she has a favorite performer, you could try to get something related to him/her - whether a poster, signed photo, recording, whatever. Ask Mom if she needs anything for her playing.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page