How long till her first period? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 28 Old 06-12-2009, 11:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Okay, I know there is a lot of variation, but my daughter's physical changes are coming fast and furious and I'm wondering how soon she should be prepared.

She has significant underarm and pubic hair and her breast buds are beginning to grow a bit more. She is only 10.5 and such a skinny mini. She's probably 4'11" and about 62 pounds. I was nearly 14 before I started but I don't remember many hints of physical change before 12 or so.

As she started to notice changes, we have been talking and she is greatly relieved to hear that her period is still several years away. However, I'm beginning to wonder if I am misleading her! I don't think she's afraid of the physical aspect of having her period just the whole being that grown up idea. Some days she wants to be older and some days she really wants to stay a little kid. I think the thought of having her period makes that change to adulthood seem more inevitable and irreversible I guess.

Happy to hear any guesses on a possible timetable to expect. LOL
#2 of 28 Old 06-12-2009, 11:52 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
You're right - it's pretty hard to predict. The order in which girls develops varies so much.

For myself I was 9 when I needed a bra & started getting pubic/underarm hair. I got my period just after my 12th birthday.

Surviving sleep deprivation one day at a time with dd (Oct '11) & ds (Oct '08).

#3 of 28 Old 06-13-2009, 01:17 AM

I remember reading somewhere that you have to get to a certain weight before your body says you're ready to have a period. I think it was maybe 80-90 lbs. but I'm not totally sure.
FWIW I got mine when I was 11.

Mommy to (6-24-09)
Laugh as much as you breathe and love as long as you live.
#4 of 28 Old 06-13-2009, 01:21 AM

Based on my neices and friends daughters, I suspect her period is probably months away, not years, and she needs to be prepared for that possibility.

Having said that, my body started changing when I was about 12 but I did not start my period until I was 15.
#5 of 28 Old 06-13-2009, 01:21 AM
AAK

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmypoo View Post
I remember reading somewhere that you have to get to a certain weight before your body says you're ready to have a period. I think it was maybe 80-90 lbs. but I'm not totally sure.

I read that too, but I thought it was right around 100 pounds. I know that I was 12, nearly 13 and had hit the 100 pound mark earlier that year.

My sisters also started the year they hit 100. We were all 100+ for about 6-9 months before it started.

Amy

Mom to three very active girls Anna (14), Kayla (11), Maya (8). 
#6 of 28 Old 06-13-2009, 01:29 AM

I was 10 and maybe 80 lbs, but definitely had a woman's body (probably a C cup, and hips). I know that for several months before I started my first period, I had a lot of cervical mucous. I've heard this is common. You might ask if she's seen any, or let her know that when she starts seeing it, it could be an indication that it's on it's way.
#7 of 28 Old 06-13-2009, 01:36 AM

It is totally false about the body weight. I was 13 when I got my first period. I was 4ft. 11in. and 75 lbs. I stayed that weight until I got married at 16, then soon after pregnant at the grand weight of 77. So it is possible. By the way I did have 2 natural childbirths, 2 healthy sons. Now after 32 years of marriage I weigh 101, and going through menopause. The human body really is amazing.
#8 of 28 Old 06-13-2009, 01:50 AM
AAK

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LVale View Post
It is totally false about the body weight. I was 13 when I got my first period. I was 4ft. 11in. and 75 lbs. I stayed that weight until I got married at 16, then soon after pregnant at the grand weight of 77. So it is possible. By the way I did have 2 natural childbirths, 2 healthy sons. Now after 32 years of marriage I weigh 101, and going through menopause. The human body really is amazing.
Thanks, I always wondered if that was true or just coincidence for me and my sisters.

Amy

Mom to three very active girls Anna (14), Kayla (11), Maya (8). 
#9 of 28 Old 06-13-2009, 01:53 AM

I was small and petite too...but still started when I was 11...I would say within the next year or so, she should expect it. ( Espec since she has pubic hair and breast buds.)

Mom to three boys 7/7/00 fencing.gif 11/20/02 and 10/29/2011 luxlove.gif

Writing at: http://paisleymama.blogspot.com/ and other places! 

#10 of 28 Old 06-13-2009, 06:31 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks! We'll step up the pace and depth of our talks. I'm hoping that she gets a bit more height going for her, she wants to catch up with her cousins. That's not going to happen as they are near 6' (boy and girls). Her daddy's side of the family is short. He's the tallest at 5'9" and all the women are around 5'. I'm 5'8" but I suspect she won't quite be my height, which will disappoint her greatly! I think she has visions of looking down on her parents. LOL
#11 of 28 Old 06-13-2009, 06:34 PM

I started getting breasts when i was in about 6th grade, and i did not start my period untill i was 14.

Melanie- Mama to my super hero daughter superhero.gif bravely battling brain cancer. ribbongrey.gif ribbongold.gif  www.fightformaddie.com  and expecting 1sttri.gif 1/13!!!!

#12 of 28 Old 06-13-2009, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eclipse View Post
I know that for several months before I started my first period, I had a lot of cervical mucous. I've heard this is common. You might ask if she's seen any, or let her know that when she starts seeing it, it could be an indication that it's on it's way.
: and make sure she knows about it! I started getting vaginal discharge and I didn't know what was going on, and wondered if it was small amounts of urine. My mom had told me about periods, but not that! It was several years before I found out the truth.

Mommy to  N baby.gif, born 2/20/12.

#13 of 28 Old 06-13-2009, 07:57 PM

I was barely 9 when I had my first period. Looking back, I started getting hips and breasts at about age 8. DD is going on 8, and I'm beginning to notice her hips expand, and for the first time in her life she actually has some semblance of a butt (she's still under 50 lbs). She's not there yet, but we've covered basic body functions etc so that the inevitable doesn't scare her too much.
#14 of 28 Old 06-13-2009, 08:02 PM

I had a hint of breast "buds", then I got my period, then I got pubic hair. It's just different for everybody, I think. Your dd could be a matter of weeks, or months, or years from getting her period. It's really hard to say.

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#15 of 28 Old 06-13-2009, 10:49 PM

Statistically... probably close to the time you started your period. It tends to run in families.

Earlier onset of puberty doesn't change the average age of starting one's period though, so it could be anywhere from in the next month too a few years.

malesling.GIFMutant Papa to DD (12)hippie.gif and DS (2)babyf.gif, married to DHribbonrainbow.gif
If it looks like I'm trying to pick a fight... I'm not, I'm rarely that obvious.hammer.gif
#16 of 28 Old 06-14-2009, 08:53 AM

I got breast buds and then my period and then pubic hair. I was 12 for the first and 13.5 for the last. I think helping her be as ready as she can be is all you can do - once puberty starts, the actual time table is hard to predict, but in general be ready - it's all downhill lol!

Mama to B and O , wife to J and me to me! :
#17 of 28 Old 06-14-2009, 09:15 PM

I think menstruation begins when the girl hits a certain percentage of body fat. I think it was up-wards of 12-13 % of her body weight. Which is why it would be a different weight for different women, and why heavier-set girls menstruate earlier than skinnier girls.

I could be wrong, but I remember looking this up on the internet a few years ago when a friend's daughter was hitting that age, and we were wondering what to expect when the day arrives for dd.

I think its always a good idea to chat about this stuff, so that it's normal, whenever it actually starts. Hopefully she's excited about the changes she's about to embark upon. It really is amazing how the human body works, kwim?
#18 of 28 Old 06-14-2009, 09:18 PM

I started getting body hair in 6thish grade. I didn't get my period until the end of 9th.

Give more**Expect Less
There is no such thing as bad weather. Only bad clothing.
#19 of 28 Old 06-14-2009, 09:49 PM

When my daughter started getting pubic hair, her period was right around the corner. She weighed 90 lbs, breast buds, underarm hair. The summer she turned 10 she got her period. (outside wrestling with a bunch of kids. )

treehugger.gifAutistic pagan mama with five kiddos on the spectrum, learning through living life. autismribbon.gif  computergeek2.gif

#20 of 28 Old 06-14-2009, 11:00 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nature View Post
When my daughter started getting pubic hair, her period was right around the corner. She weighed 90 lbs, breast buds, underarm hair. The summer she turned 10 she got her period. (outside wrestling with a bunch of kids. )
EEK! LOL Okay, more talks tomorrow.
#21 of 28 Old 06-14-2009, 11:56 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmypoo View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nature View Post
These are scary! My little girl is almost 9, 78 pounds, and starting to show early signs of puberty! I've been wondering about the whole period thing for a while now.

I pray for the day Family Court recognizes that CHILDREN have rights, parents only have PRIVILEGES.  Only then, will I know my child is safe.
#22 of 28 Old 06-20-2009, 01:48 PM

I started having breasts (buds before this) at 10.5yo. My sister and I had a comparing time in the bathroom, as she just turned 12yo, and had no breasts or buds, but a little hair. She was bragging about it, so I was bragging that I was getting "boobs". She got all offended, so brought my mother into it, and MY MOTHER said, "the only reason you are getting boobs is because YOU ARE FAT". I always thought I was a fat kid, because of this comment, but actually was only 102 lbs at 5'2" at 12yo. My stepmother showed me kid pics later on when she found them. I was not fat. My sister was SOOO skinny all those years. I am so grateful that parents are having better tact nowdays about it all. That haunted me for years and was probably the trigger of a really bad ED.

Anyway, back to the topic. I started my period at almost 14yo, it was right before my bday. My mother also started developing breasts early and started at almost 14yo. We both have June bdays, although I am sure that doesn't matter.

Also, my almost 12yo DD doesn't seem to have anything to worry about starting hers. She still is barely in training bras, no hair at all although she did try to shave her legs. LOL When she had been having all these pains, we went to the female ped in our clinic, and I asked her if this was related to puberty. She was having some mystery stomach pains, but there are lots of other pain issues going on. The dr asked her when she noticed her body changing, and told me that girls usually start about 2.5yrs after they notice breast changes. That is an average, of course. I expect her to start at almost 14 also. But, I plan to make her 12th bday about her growing up and something special. She knows the facts of life, but I want this to be a celebration, rather than feeling like it was to be dreaded as I felt growing up. Since the girls that were really skinny and anorexic had amennorhea, having a period just reinforced in my mind that I was too fat.

I better get a move on, her bday is Aug 8th. kymberli
#23 of 28 Old 06-20-2009, 05:47 PM

I don't think they know...........

My dd is 11 just got her first period. It through me off because she has very little breast--more on the bud side. I had "full" breast before I got mine.

I was 13 but my sister was 9. My dd is built like me.

She has very little body fat.
#24 of 28 Old 06-20-2009, 06:14 PM

I don't know.
I found this.
This says about 2 years after breast begin development.

Dd is 9 and has pubic and underarm hair. I don't see any breast or nipple changes. I was pretty flat until I was an older teen so she might be too. She is very thin and I was too. Mine started when I was 12 I think. I did not weigh 100 pounds until I was a senior in college but had my period before that. I don't know what my weight or body fat was when my period began.

Kim ~mom to one awesome dd (12)

#25 of 28 Old 06-28-2009, 10:31 AM

i was one month from 15 when i got mine . my oldest S was 11 now G was 14 in april . she hasn gotten a sign of anything . shes deceloped like she should just no monthly . were watching her close & she knows everything thats going to happen. but theres nothing. .
were watching for it even when she has an upset tummy were talk ing about it . were not worried though because in my opinion as long as she doesnt have t she doesnt have to go through it
#26 of 28 Old 07-02-2009, 09:28 PM

I started a week before my 10th bday.I had full breasts at that age,around a b cup.My dd just started hers 2 days ago,about a month after her 11th bday.She has about an a cup,but she's skinny where I was not.She's had body hair for about a year.She didn't even tell me she started,I found out by noticing the pads were disappearing.We had a long talk last night and she's ok with it now,just thinks it's annoying.

Student mama to one awesome,talented and unique dd,15 and one amazing, sweet and strong ds,12(born with heart defect Tetralogy of Fallot,also on the autism spectrum),9 cats,and 2 gerbils.
#27 of 28 Old 07-03-2009, 10:26 AM

My dd is 11 and 1/2 and I know she will start any day now. She is 5'1, 95 pounds with curves and hair. I have noticed that her face breaks out the week before I start AF. Also, she has been telling me her tummy hurts fairly often that same week. I am guessing her body is gearing up. I am hoping she has her first period before she goes back to school. On the other hand, my son who is 13 shows zero signs of puberty. It upsets him that his baby sister is the same height he is- he has not yet started the growth spurt, LOL.
#28 of 28 Old 07-09-2009, 03:33 PM

oh, no ... I can't even think of my 9.5 dd that way!! so, now let me try to remember ... I know I was wearing a bra at age 12 - I don't remember training bras at all. I think I blossomed overnight! I was in a C cup pretty quick. I don't remember when I started shaving, but it had to have been about then because I remember gouging my shin bones with the razor and being in pain during swimming in gym class at age 13 ... my period started in January 1981, when I was 14.5, and we had just moved to Texas. I remember being in a store like a Target with my mom teaching me how to use a tampon in the public bathroom and buying midol. She taught me all about sex at 10, so I'm sure she explained the period, but I don't think she was expecting it at that moment, either!

I was not 100 pounds, I'm sure. I was a 5'1 gymnast. Had to give up gymnastics because I had big boobs.

My dd doesn't show any signs of puberty, but she certainly is hormonal! (pms)

--janis
3 DD's: 9.5, 5.5, 6 months

Mama to 3 girls 12,8,3

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page