Mothering Forum banner

WOHM's.....where is your 13-14 y/o staying during the summer?

1K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  1growingsprout 
#1 ·
This is the first summer of my life as a mother that I've worked FT during the summer (other than three 12 hrs shifts). My oldest son is 13.5 and is currently staying at home by himself while DH and I work. We are both gone from 8-4. He has chores and various paid projects to work on but it still gives him a significant amount of free time. He has thus far proven himself to be trustworthy and doesn't have a history of poor decision making. However, I am nervous about him being home alone so much. We are at least 30 min away from a big city so most events/camps are not feasible. He is going to camp for a wk later this summer and is going to some local VBS's. Does this sound like too much time alone? Anyone know of a good alternative?

#2 ·
It sounds a lot like what my just turned 13 last week ds will be doing. He bikes to a friends a couple days a week, meets school friends maybe 1 day a week at the city pool, has two diferrent weeks at sports camps, is volunteering two nights a week at parks and rec and the rest of the time is spent hanging out at home with chores and siblings beeing grumpy.

#3 ·
When I WOHM, my kids stayed at home starting about the age of 9 or 10. They were able to ride their bikes in the neighborhood, go visit friends, go to the park, basically whatever they would do if I were home. They each had a couple of friends that were allowed in the house, and we allowed them to go to any friends' houses. They got out plenty.

#4 ·
I WAH but I leave the house a lot for errands and to do things for my business. I leave my children home alone together, ages 14 and 7. But mostly my 14 yr old is alone because my 7 yr old usually tags along with me. He usually likes to be home alone at this point. Like others have said, he can always find something to keep himself busy.

#6 ·
Around here many kids that age start volunteering 2-3 days a week either at the library, the youth center, the senior center etc.... It tends to get the kids in the mood of vounteering for college applications in a couple years and it keeps them out of trouble. It also is the start of a solid work ethic. Kids that age can shelf books, help at day camp, serve meals (both for kiddie camp and senior center) etc...

Another option is to be a 'mothers helper' 1-2 days a week. Most kids have things to do so they are not home alone, aimlessly wandering, looking for something to do.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.