my angst about bra wearing and pre-adolescense - Page 4 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#91 of 100 Old 08-18-2009, 02:59 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by aniT View Post
Yes I know. I demanded the super change the curriculum when I read the book and they were telling kids that they coudln't get HIV or HPV if they did not have premarital sex or do drugs.
Yeah, everyone even remotely associated with the school would hear from me if I found out someone was teaching DD that.

malesling.GIFMutant Papa to DD (12)hippie.gif and DS (2)babyf.gif, married to DHribbonrainbow.gif
If it looks like I'm trying to pick a fight... I'm not, I'm rarely that obvious.hammer.gif
#92 of 100 Old 08-18-2009, 09:52 AM

Was in the sixth grade in 1982 and we were shown a film(girls and boy together) in which it was suggested that girls should shower more oftenduring menstruation. There was some explanation about sweat glands being more active during that time, but all it accomplished was to leave me and my fiends with the uneasy feeling that we were dirty during that time. My parents had very hethy attitudes about sex and sex Ed, but that particular feeling of dirtyness was not something I ever thought to ask them about. At the same time, having your period was considered a valid reason to be excused from swimming (which was one of our phys Ed units).

But to get back on topic, I've read that what training bras do is train a girl's developing breasts to need bras. That is, by providing unneeded support, they allow muscles to atrophy that should be doing the job of holding up our breasts. I've read that it's much healthier for developing breasts, their muscles andtissue, to be unrestrained as they grow.

So I think that a girl who feels self-conscious without a bra or wants one for purposes of style or modesty should be encouraged to wear ones that offer the least actual "support" and allow for the most freedom of movemeb
nt. It was that article that caused me to change to camis only and despite being a 40 D I feel great and not at all immodest.

DS1: 2/02 ROTFLMAO.gif DD: 9/04 blahblah.gif DS2: 9/07jog.gif and EDD: 11/13 belly.gif

#93 of 100 Old 08-18-2009, 12:28 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristaN View Post
Dd would also balk significantly at the idea of lace, padded, or push-up bras. I imagine that she'll be wanting the same thing she wants in her underwear: solid neutral colors with nothing on it. She's a navy and white, classic styles type of kid. I like the idea of push-up bras a lot less than frogs on bras for young girls.

What if the "girl" in question was 28 years old? Not al small cup size bras are for the pre-teen set. Joy was wearing 36B/C with an underwire in high school while Erica was still trying to find -A cup bras that didn't look like a training bra at age 28.

Chris--extended breastfeeding, cloth diapering, babywearing, co-sleeping, APing, CLW, homeschooling before any of this was a trend mom to Joy (1/78), Erica (8/80), Angela (9/84), Dylan (2/98)
#94 of 100 Old 08-18-2009, 12:32 PM

As I said in my post that you quoted, I like the idea of push-up bras for young girls less than the idea of cartoon character bras for young girls. Women with smaller breasts should have all the same options that the rest of us have. I would just like to see the kids/juniors depts carrying plain looking bras rather than (or at least in addition to) bras that make them choose btwn looking younger or older than they might want to.
#95 of 100 Old 08-18-2009, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristaN View Post
As I said in my post that you quoted, I like the idea of push-up bras for young girls less than the idea of cartoon character bras for young girls. Women with smaller breasts should have all the same options that the rest of us have. I would just like to see the kids/juniors depts carrying plain looking bras rather than (or at least in addition to) bras that make them choose btwn looking younger or older than they might want to.
Ours does. There are plenty of plain colors and stripes among the hearts, skulls, and other "stylish" things. I don't think I have seen a one with animals or cartoon figures. But I haven't looked this year since DD moved on.
#96 of 100 Old 08-18-2009, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sewchris2642 View Post
What if the "girl" in question was 28 years old? Not al small cup size bras are for the pre-teen set. Joy was wearing 36B/C with an underwire in high school while Erica was still trying to find -A cup bras that didn't look like a training bra at age 28.
Tell me about it. I have to shop for bras online because a 32a is almost impossible to get around here, and the ones that are available are very much geared to young teens.
#97 of 100 Old 08-18-2009, 01:02 PM

My 10 year old is developing pretty fast. But the problem is.....She has SPD (sensory processing disorder) Being hypersensitive to clothing is a big one for her. It is hard for her to deal with wearing a very baggie T-shirt let alone a bra. I am not sure what is going to happen when she gets even bigger breasts.
#98 of 100 Old 08-18-2009, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by choli View Post
Tell me about it. I have to shop for bras online because a 32a is almost impossible to get around here, and the ones that are available are very much geared to young teens.
Ha. I was bra-shopping this weekend (usually I don't wear them, but I need to keep a few around and every single one I owned was 10+ years old and falling apart) and the Victoria Secret by my house had just PILES of 32As.

34As, on the other hand . . . I finally came home and ordered them online.
#99 of 100 Old 08-18-2009, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cschick View Post
Ha. I was bra-shopping this weekend (usually I don't wear them, but I need to keep a few around and every single one I owned was 10+ years old and falling apart) and the Victoria Secret by my house had just PILES of 32As.

34As, on the other hand . . . I finally came home and ordered them online.
I hate VS bras though - they never fit me right, and besides for me, the function of a bra and panties is to be invisible but make my clothes look better on me. So I am the flesh colored seamless cup tagless bra and flesh colored thong type, not really the VS tpe
#100 of 100 Old 08-18-2009, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by choli View Post
I hate VS bras though - they never fit me right, and besides for me, the function of a bra and panties is to be invisible but make my clothes look better on me. So I am the flesh colored seamless cup tagless bra and flesh colored thong type, not really the VS tpe
VS bras are actually the only ones I've ever found that do fit me right--As from most other makers wrinkle in odd ways even when they have seamless cups, and finding a AA that looks "adult" (see rest of discussion) is just about impossible.

VS are the only ones I'll wear with an underwire, because they are they only bras I've ever found in which the underwire on an A cup is actually somewhat comfortable.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page