Does anyone have there preteen in 4-H? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-13-2009, 05:22 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
I am going to make every effort to get dd out of the house more this school year and I'm looking for options for structured stuff that doesn't involve religion. I ran across 4-H, when I was in school it was only about farm animals and going to the county fair from what I saw (I obviously wasn't involved). It looks like they have a lot to offer so I'd like to look into it.

What has been your families experience with the program? Good? Bad?

What kind of expenses am I looking at? They mention fee's on there website but no actual $ amount.

Anything I should know?

Seriously?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-14-2009, 10:51 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My dd, turning 11 soon, is in 4H. It is a new group so we don't have a ton of experience. There are plenty of great opportunites beyond the farm focus we all knew in the past. Robotics, sewing, public speaking (strangely my dd's favorite), culinary arts, various community service opportunities, rocketry, various science related stuff, etc. Here is a website with a list of projects available: http://www.4-hcurriculum.org/projectsonline.aspx

She is enjoying it and we are looking forward to getting more involved quickly.

I can't remember right now if we paid any fees. If we did they were small, otherwise I would have remembered!
Old 08-19-2009, 10:36 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
In my area the parents are encouraged to start up 4H clubs of their own and recruit members. Have you thought about starting up your own club?

19 yr old
12 yr old
5 yr old
Old 08-21-2009, 07:32 PM

I have nothing but great things to say about 4-H. I was in a local club from 7 -18. I did everything from raising an animal to sewing, baking, hiking, public speaking, etc. I still remember the pledge 15 yrs later! :

Both of my boys have decided to join our local club this year and I could not be more thrilled. The focus is not just on the individual but your impact on the world around you; on growth and on community service.
Old 08-22-2009, 10:27 AM

I was in 4H from age 14 to 18. I started at 14 because we moved to a new town, and the old town didn't have a 4-H group.

Mine was a town group, so no one really did animals. It was all girls (many groups are both boys and girls. None of them discriminate based on gender but a boy isn't likely to join a group of 12 girls, you know?) We did some volunteer projects, sewing projects, etc. We met once a month usually. The meetings rotated through everyone's home. Some groups always meet in a specific place like a church or community center.

I loved it. I held several offices in my club, eventually becoming president and getting involved in the area council. I ended up getting a 500$ colege scholarship from 4-H.

I am a crafty person and I did lots of fair projects. Mine were mostly sewing related. Fair is usually at the end of the summer, so I was busy all summer working on fair projects.

I still hold very fond memories of 4-H (as does my mom who was in a town group when she was a teenager). 10 years ago when I was involved, the costs were very minimal- maybe 20$/year? Those were our club dues and payed for if we wanted to go on a field trip, etc. In my state (Iowa) much of the funding for 4-H came from Iowa State Extension, so costs to each kid were small. Parents had to be involved though- driving to things and helping with meetings. The other major cost is for fair projects. If you want to sew a quilt, you need 50$ worth of fabric, or whatever. Not that all projects have to cost money- you actually get judged better if you are reusing materials creatively, etc. You also get paid a little if you win a ribbon- maybe 2-4$ (So not much!).

Suzan, mama to DS 9-18-07 and #2 EDD 3/4/10 GIRL!.
Old 08-25-2009, 11:54 AM

I grew up in 4-h too. A rural club with boys and girls ages 9-21. I loved it. I took many different projects over the years. Crafts, Foods, Sewing, Light Horse, Poultry, Vet Science, and probably more I'm not thinking of.

My son is 11 and just finsihed his second year. He took Goat the first year and foods and scrapbooking this year. His club requires each child to do a speech and that has been really good for his public speaking abilities. 4-H in general has been good for his social skills and the chance to spend time with multi aged kids.

Alicia - Mother to DS (12) and finally expecting another
Living on 100 acres with the love of my life, our son, goats, chickens, ducks, a cat and 2 Chesapeakes!

User Tag List