xposted in Childhood Years: Looking for cotton undershirts for size 14 girl - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 08-13-2009, 04:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My dd likes to wear undershirts, but is not liking the look and feel of "cami's" under her clothes.

I'm looking for old fashioned undershirts...like these, only cotton...in a size 14.

http://www.atoygarden.com/index.cfm?...roduct_ID=1314

The lace (non-scratchy) would be nice, but isn't essential.

TIA!
#2 of 10 Old 08-13-2009, 08:57 PM

You might try the largest size of Hanna Andersson. They are very soft-dd wears them as pj tops. You can get plain white or soft colors.

Another thought is silk or wool silk sleeveless undershirts for the colder months. My 11 y/0 can just about wear the smallest women's size. We like the Hocosa brand.

The other brands I'm thinking of are Hanro (smallest women's size)-Garnet Hill might carry them. Also, petit bateau, again, probably a women's size, as that brand runs small.
#3 of 10 Old 08-14-2009, 12:56 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for your ideas....I looked at Garnet Hill at your suggestion. This is perfect:
http://www.garnethill.com/jump.jsp?i...roductID=19504

But YOUCH! the price.
#4 of 10 Old 08-14-2009, 12:59 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
If she's a girls' size 14, she may also fit into the smallest adult size. I think Jockey still makes basic undershirts in a rib knit- I used to wear those when I was a teenager.

Do other brands (Sears, JC Penny, Hanes, etc) not go big enough in girls' sizes?

ETA: I found this on the JC Penny site:

http://www3.jcpenney.com/jcp/X6.aspx...45|42566|42567

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18, and Jack, 12
#5 of 10 Old 08-14-2009, 01:05 PM - Thread Starter

Ruthla...We had no luck in the stores....And dd is overweight, so she gets stressed out sometimes with this kind of shopping, where the clothes are in a plastic bag and she can't try them on.

I'm going run out at lunch from work and check the JC Penney near me, because those look pretty great.

The Hanna ones are pretty great looking too. Anyone have a Hanna code?
#6 of 10 Old 08-14-2009, 04:39 PM

What about looking at the boys section? They should have plain white tank and t style shirts.

As for the clothes in plastic bags, I open those all the time. I recently shopped for camisoles with my DD. She tried on every style before settling on one by Circo (Target house brand). It's OK to do; they can be taped.

Mom to DD1 (11/1999),  DD2 (07/2003), and DS (11/2012), all born at home and cloth diapered. 

#7 of 10 Old 08-15-2009, 01:43 PM

They have the guys a shirts.
Layering is a big thing right now, so there are lots and lots of sleeveless shirts around as well.
Womens small or maybe medium should fit depending on her development.
I don't kniow if you are opposed to wal-Mart but I know they definitely have undershirts in the bra section and most Targets do as well.
Lots of stores have undershirt type things with bras in the kid section if you mean that type.
#8 of 10 Old 08-16-2009, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chfriend View Post
Thanks for your ideas....I looked at Garnet Hill at your suggestion. This is perfect:
http://www.garnethill.com/jump.jsp?i...roductID=19504

But YOUCH! the price.
Love the shirt, but the price is criminal! Not even organic. :P

Sometimes Sierra Trading has Hanro or Calida.
#9 of 10 Old 08-18-2009, 11:44 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I was thinking of you ordering these online, not running around to Sears and JCPenny and other random stores. The last JCPenny in my area closed down several years ago, so when I think "shop at Penny's", I'm thinking of their website!

Also keep in mind that some brands of undershirts are cut narrower than others. If it's available, you may want to order both a 14 and a 16 to see which fits her better. If the 14s fit, I recomend returning the 16s, rather than holding on to them for her to grow into. By the time she outgrows the 14s, she may need some kind of bust support and prefer a completely different kind of undergarment (such as camis with built in bras or a woman's "control cami" that sucks in her belly as well as supporting her breasts, or just a bra and skip the belly coverage.)

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18, and Jack, 12
#10 of 10 Old 08-19-2009, 06:34 PM - Thread Starter

Ruthla, you are an amazing font of information. Thank you, thank you. (I didn't know of such a things as a control cami. I'm a simple girl. )

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page