good info/books for parents of teens? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 09-13-2009, 07:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
A good friend called me last week in a bit of a panic over her almost-13-year-old daughter. I'm also very close with the daughter, who usually visits with me for a couple of weeks each summer, etc.

So the mom has noticed her daughter has been lying- at first just little exaggerations, but she found a letter on her desk (swears she wasn't snooping, it was just laying out there), and in was filled with tales of wild adventures, often using things that happened to other people as fodder for the stories. Mom thinks its mostly some kind of reaction to the fact that she's starting 9th grade 2 years early and is maybe feeling insecure. But. Still, she's looking for some insight (and advice) on how to handle it. The daughter is extremely smart, precocious, and was one of those kids who was like 4 going on 40... always seemed so mature, never a problem kid. But she's gone through a lot (a really long, messy, terrible divorce, separation from her brother, new school, skipping 2 grades, etc).

ANYWAY, my kids are 4yo and 4mo so I'm not up on good books/articles/websites for parents of teens. I'm looking for suggestions for her and thought you all might have good ideas.

Thanks!

dissertating mom to three

#2 of 3 Old 09-13-2009, 09:32 PM

The best book I've ever read about adolescents is, WHY Do They Act That Way?: A Survival Guide to the Adolescent Brain for You and Your Teen.

I met David Walsh at a conference a couple of years ago and he is brilliant. I highly recommend anything he's written. You can find this book here: http://www.amazon.com/WHY-They-Act-T.../dp/0743260775

+ = (4/97) & (1/99) & (8/99) & (2/01), with , the prettiest pup this side of the Mississippi.
#3 of 3 Old 09-13-2009, 10:01 PM - Thread Starter

ooh, that sounds right up her alley, thanks for the recc.

dissertating mom to three

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page