Is this normal?? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 09-22-2009, 08:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm a new parent to a 12 year old boy, so I'm not sure what is normal or not. Is it normal for boys of this age to draw pictures of guns, bombs, killing, etc (humans and aliens)? I'm just trying to figure out if this is a normal 12 year old's imagination, or something I need to draw attention to. I have no idea what his exposure was prior to April (when he was placed with us) but I'm fairly confident he had free reign. This was in one of his notebooks, and he doesn't know I saw. There was also swearing "Oh Sh*t" and "What the h*ll", yet we have absolutely no behavioral problems at all in our house. Thanks
#2 of 10 Old 09-22-2009, 09:00 PM

I don't think it's a big problem, provided everything else seems normal.

I know my brother drew those kinds of pictures around that age, and he is one of the least violent people I'e EVER met in my life.

New endeavor coming soon...
Raising Alice in Wonderland (DSD, 17), and in love with a Superman
#3 of 10 Old 09-23-2009, 03:25 PM

I know lots of boys in the 10-12 age range who draw pictures like that. It seems normal to me.

As for the swearing, different words are appropriate and allowed in different situations. My kids have been known to swear at home, but they learned long ago that there is a time and a place for everything.

New signature, same old me: Ann- mama of 2 boys and 2 girls, partnered to a fabulous man.
I'm an unintentional weasel feeder and I suck at proofreading.
#4 of 10 Old 09-24-2009, 12:57 PM

Yes, yes, yes!!!! My ds is 9 and draws them all the time. No matter what, boys are going to draw stuff like that. I have 3 boys, and the youngest is the 9 year old.
#5 of 10 Old 09-24-2009, 02:26 PM

My 12 year old son designs tanks, planes and weapons during his down time.

He will also name them.. the holy sh.t hitter and other so called bad words in the name.

He does not draw blood or pictures.. but I would not be surprised if he did.

He is also an honor roll student, helpful around the house, sweet, kind, loving and athletic..

Take it all with a grain of salt.. and talk to him about his drawings..
We did with Isaac, turns out he wants to be an electrical engineer... so we are now directing some of his down time to building robots with basic programming capabilities.
#6 of 10 Old 09-25-2009, 10:50 PM

My DS has drawn weapons and fighters all his life, it is who he is. But last winter his pictures became more violent he was also more angry and agressive in his behavior. He is in counseling now for depression. I know you don't have that history with this boy but trying to have a sense of what is usual for him and if his behavior is causing concern it might make sense to have him assessed.

Married to the love of my life, mom to DS :
#7 of 10 Old 09-25-2009, 11:32 PM

My son has always drawn pictures like that... when he has drawn at all.

He's also the most likely of my kids to hug me or pat me on the back when I need it.

He's 11 and his sis is 15 and the bro is 8.
#8 of 10 Old 09-29-2009, 02:34 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Those are pretty tame swear words. My impression is that this is his version of a diary. In which case he's experimenting with these words, seeing what they look like on paper in his hand writing.

I would be concerned if he was depicting cruel behavior. But I do remember sixth grade school boys drawing tanks and guns and bloody battle scenes. Zombies with blood spurting. Grossness.

My nine year old son draws stuff like this sometimes and I tease him, Eww! That's gross! But I laugh about it. So I'm not worried about it, but I'm putting that tiny reminder in his head that it IS kind of yucky. He gets that I'm not shaming him, he just knows that some people, like his mom, think it's gross.

Your perspective is better than ours, of course. You can gauge the scope and intensity of it. But what you describe sounds normal and reasonable.

Someone moved my effing cheese.
#9 of 10 Old 09-30-2009, 07:51 PM

Totally normal. My younger son had a landscape that I painted on his wall for him to depict battle scenes. They got REALLY intricate, including blood, severed limbs, etc. It kept him occupied and his mind creating for HOURS.

As for the swear words, my kids all used sh!t and he!! by the time they were 12. To us they barely qualify as swear words.
#10 of 10 Old 10-01-2009, 02:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tynme View Post
I'm a new parent to a 12 year old boy, so I'm not sure what is normal or not. Is it normal for boys of this age to draw pictures of guns, bombs, killing, etc (humans and aliens)? I'm just trying to figure out if this is a normal 12 year old's imagination, or something I need to draw attention to. I have no idea what his exposure was prior to April (when he was placed with us) but I'm fairly confident he had free reign. This was in one of his notebooks, and he doesn't know I saw. There was also swearing "Oh Sh*t" and "What the h*ll", yet we have absolutely no behavioral problems at all in our house. Thanks
Totally normal mama

GOOD moms let their kids lick the beaters. GREAT moms turn off the mixer first!
Humanist Woman Wife , & Friend Plus Mama to 6 (3 mos, 2, 9, 13, 17, 20)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page