beginners period kit? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 09-28-2009, 03:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So my daughter is getting close to the age I was when I started my first period, and I'm thinking its a good idea to have a beginners kit here at the house in a closet or something for her.

I started with tampons as a girl, but I dont want to give them those kind of products. (bleached one use cotton things)

while i use a keeper, im sure thats probably not the best for a first timer.

Im thinking some cloth pads and perhaps some sea sponges? would the sea sponges be easy to use for a beginner?

Heavily tattooed and Dready Mama to my girls. YES we are STILL NURSING! love to and
#2 of 11 Old 09-28-2009, 05:45 PM

I don't know about sea sponges, because I've never used them. In general, though, I think the "kit" is a good idea. I would also get her nice zipper pouch to put in her backpack in case she starts at school. Maybe you could go the the fabric store and pick out some patterns for her? Or look at Etsy together to find some she'd like? I'd also give her some wet wipes and maybe some nice smelling hand soap. Have her start carrying an extra pair of panties as the first period could come quickly. Maybe you could also add in some hot pads for cramps. I think this is really neat.
#3 of 11 Old 09-29-2009, 07:07 PM

I also think a kit is a great idea. I did want to mention that some girls cannot use tampons and would not be able to use sea sponges either. This probably will not apply to your daughter since you said you started with tampons. I tried to use tampons and was physically unable to. I discussed it with my mother and she said she wasn't able to use tampons until she lost her virginity. I think this is pretty rare though and probably at least partially inherited.

Adele geek.gif, Mommy to Adelia hearts.gif7/31/2000, wife to Rod fuzmalesling.gif, and co-owner of Max dog2.gif

#4 of 11 Old 09-29-2009, 07:39 PM - Thread Starter

thank you ladies for the ideas! im going to start compiling things now and look for or make a cute bag to put it all in.

Heavily tattooed and Dready Mama to my girls. YES we are STILL NURSING! love to and
#5 of 11 Old 10-05-2009, 12:08 AM

Why not ask her, or if she's uncomfortable, wait until she actually has her period, then she'll have to talk about it at least briefly. Ii think most girls start with using pads, she might be grossed out by cloth ones.
#6 of 11 Old 10-05-2009, 02:55 PM

i know that when i was a young teenager ( a few years ago) using cloth pads at school was really hard so you might want to make sure she's comfortable with that

cold.gifme + headscratch.gif him and one littlecat.gifPaco the Taco hoping for one of these  makebabe.gifin the near future

#7 of 11 Old 10-07-2009, 03:04 PM

While the idea of a kit is nice, I think you need to see what she would like you to buy rather than picking it out for her. It's a very personal decision. Who knows, she might be into using a Keeper or Diva cup. She might want to use cloth pads or maybe would prefer disposable. Or she might want tampons, esp. if she is in gymnastics or swimming. Seventh Generation makes chlorine free products, maybe those would be acceptable to you if she wants to use disposable products.
#8 of 11 Old 10-07-2009, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindberg99 View Post
While the idea of a kit is nice, I think you need to see what she would like you to buy rather than picking it out for her. It's a very personal decision. Who knows, she might be into using a Keeper or Diva cup. She might want to use cloth pads or maybe would prefer disposable. Or she might want tampons, esp. if she is in gymnastics or swimming. Seventh Generation makes chlorine free products, maybe those would be acceptable to you if she wants to use disposable products.
I agree that it would best to let your daughter pick out the items that she would like to have in her kit. I would definitely still do the kit idea. I remember wanting something like that when I was approaching puberty... but never felt comfortable asking my mom. Then, when my period did start, I never told anyone. I just "rolled" my own pads out of toilet paper (not the greatest idea... but I was 11...) Then when my mom started bringing home deodorant, pads, and other items... I didn't want to use them because it was the same deodorant that my grandma used (i wanted Teen Spirit... it had really cool teenagers on the ad) and the pads smelled like my grandma and were HUGE. Now that I think about it... I was probably a stinky girl for a while.. at least until I had the courage two years later to tell my mom that I wanted tampons because I can't run in gym class with a pad in my undies (I had started wearing the pads by that time.) Long story short... It made my transition into "womanhood" much easier when I got to choose how I made that transition.

~..~*`*~.,.~**~: JEN :~**~...~*`*~..~
Wife to Dave; SAHM to Lily (7/07) and Nathan (10/09); One HAPPY Family
#9 of 11 Old 10-07-2009, 03:36 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I love the idea! So nice to make the transition that can be so tough a little more gentle!

I would include a hot pad (hot water bottle or rice bag or such) as I got terrible cramps right from day one. Maybe some soothing tea or eo to go along?

I agree with pp that although you may prefer she used the cloth pads she may find it embarassing or uncomfortable to be doing something so different from most of her friends. Maybe let her try a couple different things - cloth at home, unbleached disposable at school, sea sponges, etc. It took all of us awhile to find what worked best for each of us & I know I went through a fair bit of trial & error first.

Surviving sleep deprivation one day at a time with dd (Oct '11) & ds (Oct '08).

#10 of 11 Old 10-07-2009, 04:07 PM

Here are a few different menarche kits:

http://www.celebrategirls.com/

http://www.womanwisdom.com/w_coa-menarchekit.shtml

There are also kits like this available:

http://www.lunapads.com/Product.aspx...t=2&Lang=EN-US

http://www.gladrags.com/c-16-sponge-and-cup-kits.aspx (kits with sea sponges, cups)

And some books:

http://www.joanmorais.com/joansbooks...celebrate.html

http://www.ashtreepublishing.com/boo...prod=134&cat=5

uc.jpg  lotbirth.gif   waterbirth.jpg 
#11 of 11 Old 10-07-2009, 06:29 PM - Thread Starter

we are actually compiling the 'kit' together.

she is not grossed out by cloth pads in the slightest. in fact we have been talking about them, and looking on etsy, etc...she is thinking she might like to sew her own (unless she decides on a snap version)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page