Pre-teen/young teen music - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 12-13-2009, 01:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What artists do your pre-teens or young teens enjoy listening to? I bought my 12year old dd an iPod for Christmas and would like to get a few CDs for her as well. She plays the violin and likes a lot of classical music, but as far as pop music I'm sort of at a loss. She likes Natasha Beddingfield and Taylor Swift, but beyond that I'm not sure where to go.

I'd like it to be popular music, but nothing that will cause me to drive off the road if we play it in the car.
#2 of 15 Old 12-13-2009, 06:04 PM

We're going to be getting dd an ipod as well. She likes the typical teen pop and dance type music, a la Taylor Swift, etc. She also likes the multicultural Putamayo CD's, for instance Latin, World Music. She likes classical music as well, but I don't think this will go on the ipod as she mostly enjoys listening to classical at bedtime.

Just curious, which ipod did you get, the nano, classic or touch? We're still weighing the diffferent options here.
#3 of 15 Old 12-13-2009, 06:35 PM

She might like Vanessa Mae. Not pop music but an interesting angle on the classical.

malesling.GIFMutant Papa to DD (12)hippie.gif and DS (2)babyf.gif, married to DHribbonrainbow.gif
If it looks like I'm trying to pick a fight... I'm not, I'm rarely that obvious.hammer.gif
#4 of 15 Old 12-13-2009, 06:41 PM

If you are getting her an ipod, I wouldn't get any CD's. I bet she'd love an itunes giftcard so she could choose several tracks by various artists.

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
#5 of 15 Old 12-14-2009, 08:59 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by karne View Post
We're going to be getting dd an ipod as well. She likes the typical teen pop and dance type music, a la Taylor Swift, etc. She also likes the multicultural Putamayo CD's, for instance Latin, World Music. She likes classical music as well, but I don't think this will go on the ipod as she mostly enjoys listening to classical at bedtime.

Just curious, which ipod did you get, the nano, classic or touch? We're still weighing the diffferent options here.
That's what I'm looking for, the only problem is that I'm so out of touch, I don't know who the typical teen pop artists might be.

We got her a nano. I don't want her having unsupervised internet access all the time, so the touch was right out. The classic was overkill for storage for the amount of music she will have for the next several years. For some reason in her circles, the nano is moderately cool (of course, the touch is ideal) while the classis is less cool, so that works out fine for me.
#6 of 15 Old 12-14-2009, 09:00 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drummer's Wife View Post
If you are getting her an ipod, I wouldn't get any CD's. I bet she'd love an itunes giftcard so she could choose several tracks by various artists.
We'll do that at some point, but I want a few CDs as well.
#7 of 15 Old 12-14-2009, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EFmom View Post
That's what I'm looking for, the only problem is that I'm so out of touch, I don't know who the typical teen pop artists might be.

We got her a nano. I don't want her having unsupervised internet access all the time, so the touch was right out. The classic was overkill for storage for the amount of music she will have for the next several years. For some reason in her circles, the nano is moderately cool (of course, the touch is ideal) while the classic is less cool, so that works out fine for me.
I like the price tag of the nano, personally. I also have concerns about internet access and the touch. DD struggles w/small print-visual processing sorts of issues, so that's her concern about the nano. She "sees" better w/the classic, and of course the touch, even something like song titles. That's where I wonder about whether the nano is going to feel OK. I might try asking this over in special needs for a perspective too.
#8 of 15 Old 12-14-2009, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drummer's Wife View Post
Does your computer burn CDs? If so, then give her a gift card to itunes, and you can burn CDs to your heart's content later.

My 14 year old listens to:

The Academy Is
Belle and Sebastian
Feist
The Decemberists
Bayside
Aimee Mann
The Greencards
Iron & Wine
The Get Up Kids
KT Tunstall
Neko Case
Flogging Molly
Phoenix
Regina Specktor
Ryan Adams
Sarah Jarosz
She & Him
The Shins
Vampire Weekend
We the Kings
The Weepies
Thriving Ivory

I can't tell you one way or another whether most of these are any good or not, or even if other kids listen to this stuff. I only recognize one band off her play list. She listens to old stuff, too, like the Pixies, Queen, the Beatles, Uncle Tupelo, Wilco, and Johnny Cash, but I don't know if other kids listen to that sort of thing, or if that is simply our interests coming through.
#9 of 15 Old 12-14-2009, 02:55 PM

I don't have teens, but one of my sils is 15 years old this are the artists I recommend that I know she listens to.

Taylor Swift
The Perishers (strongly recommend this band it's awesome)
Poets of the Fall
Regina Spektor
The Bird and the Bee
The Beatles
Peter Broderick
Lenka
Sara Bareilles
Brandi Carlile
Coldplay

Bethsy, mamma to Leonor (4) and Owen JR (11/15/09), wife to Owen (10/12/03)
#10 of 15 Old 12-14-2009, 03:00 PM

If you don't know what she likes, I'd really go with the iTunes card. Better to spend $ on that than on CD's that she won't like.
#11 of 15 Old 12-14-2009, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EFmom View Post
We'll do that at some point, but I want a few CDs as well.
oh, I know CD's are nice for the car if you don't connect the ipod to the stereo -- but at least with my DD (who likes stuff like Taylor Swift, Miley, Carrie Underwood) she tends to only really enjoy 1-3 songs on each CD the artist puts out -- so it ends up be cheaper to buy individual tracks. We also burn mixed CD's which cost close to nothing and then I don't worry about them being scratched or lost.

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
#12 of 15 Old 12-16-2009, 01:57 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My kids love the Beatles in addition to all the current stuff, and probably some Motown would work for something interesting, of course if it has a good beat to dance to, fun to sing to, my dd loves it.

Heather, mama to Harriet, Crispin, in with Tom and 2
#13 of 15 Old 12-16-2009, 05:04 PM

A little OT but,
lorijds---- your child has excellent taste, IMO. Most of those artists can be found on my Ipod I'm impressed!

ok, back to the discussion at hand.......
I really think an Itunes gift card would be great! It opens up a world of options for her and you can always burn her choices onto a cd (if you have access to a burner).

S~ Peace loving, natural living, FuNkY vegan mama to Keiran bouncy.gif 23/Dec/06:
"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter" ~~ MLK
#14 of 15 Old 12-17-2009, 04:18 PM

We got DS (aged 10) an MP3 player for his birthday in September. So far its mostly loaded with classic rock that my DH likes. I am a strictly classical person so I wasn't any help. I'm actually glad to see the list of more current things because I'm looking for new ideas for music for him as well.
#15 of 15 Old 12-18-2009, 11:54 AM

my 11 year old likes
paramore &
jack johnson
and recently some older stuff like
pearl jam &
candle box

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page