Girls on the Run - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 01-22-2010, 06:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I was wondering if anyone here had any experience with the Girls on the Run program?
http://www.girlsontherun.org/

Our church is offering the faith-based version starting in September and I was thinking of signing Katie Grace up, but wanted to know more about it.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#2 of 11 Old 01-22-2010, 09:03 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm not familiar w/this particular program, but i perused the site quickly. I'll be back to read more. But generally, I can attest to this as a safe distance to run, and we value sports highly here for our pre-teen. the fact that it's not uber-competitive is a positive.
#3 of 11 Old 01-23-2010, 09:12 AM

My oldest daughter participated in this last fall. She and 2 other 5th graders were 'competitive' in that they ran the 5K in about 30 min, one girl walked the whole thing in about double that and then 8 other girls participated. It was a wonderfully supportive environment. On their own the girls walked out to meet the last girl and finish with her.

They met twice a week during the program to discuss healthy values and self care. The focus was on movement (not running), the power of girls, positive thinking, strong communities, no bullying type ideas. For diet guidelines it was along the lines of if you have a brownie at lunch maybe you should skip the ice cream after dinner. I did not find it intense in any way and would have pushed more (but that would be bad).

My daughter enjoyed it and will repeat this spring if she can. I would say it took the good points of scouting, added more health and fitness, replaced cookie sales with a 5K.

(Ours was not a faith-based program, I did not realize GOTR offered one?)

You don’t owe them an explanation, just a response.
#4 of 11 Old 01-23-2010, 03:33 PM - Thread Starter

mommajb, was there any sex talk at all?

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#5 of 11 Old 01-23-2010, 03:59 PM

I don't think so. There was no discussion of dating, boys, or any of that type of relationship when I asked her just now.

Let me know if you have other questions.

#6 of 11 Old 01-23-2010, 04:01 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you so much for taking the time to answer my question! I'm really excited for her to do this. Last spring, I ran my first 5K ever and it was really empowering. I'm hoping this year we can do it together.

#7 of 11 Old 01-23-2010, 04:43 PM

The accomplishment is empowering. Each girl needs a running buddy for the 5K so this will be your chance. (There was no pressure to run with her; the coach will find buddies for any girl that needs.) If you go to my facebook page you can see photos of us finishing. We are already friends so you should have access.

#8 of 11 Old 01-25-2010, 01:06 PM

I coached the program for the teen girls (girls on track)- not the faith-based -and
some discussions centered aroung boys and how women deserve to be treated by them- warning signs of abuse- etc.. but no sex talk at all...

I think with the younger girls there is maybe one day talk about the opposite sex but nothing sexual....(ie..starting to notice the boys and enjoying hanging out with em)......I also assume the 'faith-based' version will have been picked by the church officials and oked for content??

overall the program is great for self-esteem and body-awareness...
I stand 100% behind it!!!
#9 of 11 Old 01-26-2010, 04:04 PM

It looks good for my girl, but there are none in my area and when I looked it up I wouldn't just need to form a local group for my town(which I am willing to do as I don't have a girl scout troop this year) I would need to coordinate for the entire region. I am just not up for that.

I was greenmamabekah and have been here on mothering since 1999, but lost the information for that ID and had to create this new one.
#10 of 11 Old 01-26-2010, 04:25 PM - Thread Starter

Well, church officials = my husband (senior pastor) and I don't know how closely he looked, LOL!

I'm really excited for her to do this. One of her youth group girl heros is a runner as well, so maybe we'll see if she can run with us as well.

#11 of 11 Old 01-27-2010, 12:43 PM

Wow! I had never heard of this but I am excited that you posted about the program! There is not one in my area, or even my state (Oklahoma) However, maybe that is just an opportunity for me waiting to happen. I am beginning to train to run the 5K with my own daughter, and we are both really excited. I am so out of shape, and I have never ran before, but I am using the podcast couch to 5K and hope to be ready for the ZooRun in Tulsa!!

Mommy to Kait 1/1999 and expecting another awesome small person with my amazing husband joy.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page