No nonsense guide to healthy sex life for teenage girl. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 02-27-2010, 11:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm looking for a book.

Here is the purpose - I want something practical for DSD. I want to read it, make notes on sticky notes (got this idea from someone on this board about a year ago ), and pass it on as a healthy way of approaching sex.

So... Help me pick a book. Please!

The criteria:
* It has to be an easy read. Nothing too preachy.
* It has to touch on pregnancy, yeast infection, STDs, rape, AND emotional side of sex, etc.
* I want the book to lay down some healthy guidelines.

Thanks a bunch!

New endeavor coming soon...
Raising Alice in Wonderland (DSD, 17), and in love with a Superman
#2 of 14 Old 02-28-2010, 04:28 AM

I was a teen services librarian a few years ago, so I saw a few of these types of books pass by my desk. I remember liking the Seventeen Guide to Sex and Your Body. Though it must be awfully old now. I really liked Cycle Savvy for it's discussion of charting and whatnot, but I'm not sure it covered all the topics you're looking for.

Librarian, Blogger, Book Reviewer, Mama
#3 of 14 Old 02-28-2010, 04:32 AM

It's not exactly what you're looking for, but there was sooo much in Taking Charge of Your Fertility that I had no clue about, and I was in my late 20's when I read it. Totally inexcusable for me to have been so ignorant about my own body. I totally intend on having my DD read it when she's a teenager.

Trying to live a simple life in a messy house in a complicated world with : DH, DD (b. 07/07), DS (b. 02/09), and DD (b. 10/10)
#4 of 14 Old 02-28-2010, 10:15 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you for your advice, I will definitely check both out when I go today to B&N. I did put this one on hold. I can't peak inside, but the reviews for this book are outstanding.

So in case anyone is interested (or wants to comment on my choice?), here it is:

The Guide to Getting it On

#5 of 14 Old 02-28-2010, 01:23 PM

I like S.E.X. the all you need to know progressive sexuality guide to get you through high school and college by Heather Corinna, the founder of scarleteen.com. I will have to check out the one you put on hold, haven't read it yet.

Mama to A born 8/7/99
#6 of 14 Old 02-28-2010, 10:40 PM

I bought myself The Guide to Getting it On when I was 19 many years ago. I'm sure it was an earlier printing but I absolutely loved it. It wasn't judgmental and it covered a ton of topics and had lots of diagrams of normal bodies so it was very informative, but my favourite thing was the sense of humor. It wasn't only the typical dry text book stuff that I was usually given as a teen. Also there was a lot of quotes from real people about their experiences and it also talked about technique and positions which as a teen I was dying to know but was way too shy to ask adults about. It talked about other sexual activities you could do if you weren't ready for sex, and about sex-related topics like body image and birth control. I can't remember everything, its been years since I've read it, but I have fond memories of reading cover to cover a few times.

That being said, when I read Taking Charge of Your Fertility I was blown away by all the stuff I didn't know and wasn't taught and I really wish I had read this when I was a teen. The Guide to Getting it On definitely didn't go into so much detail on the menstrual cycle. There's no reason you have to have to get DSD just one book.

Teetina
Expecting a little one in August! 
#7 of 14 Old 02-28-2010, 10:52 PM

Consider a copy of Our Bodies, Ourselves, too. It's probably more book than you are looking for, but it covers all you mentioned + birth control, abortion, birth, and more. It was an extremely valuable resource for me in my teens. It is really just an incredibly empowering book for women of any age.
#8 of 14 Old 02-28-2010, 11:07 PM - Thread Starter

Yes, Our Bodies Ourselves, has long been even on my own list of the books "to buy", and I am putting together a list for DSD of books to supply before she is off to college

Thank you for everyone's wonderful advice. Keep it coming.

#9 of 14 Old 03-10-2010, 02:46 AM

There is a book by the same authors as Our Bodies Ourselves, but it's for teenagers. Changing Bodies, Changing Lives, by Ruth Bell. I considered it for my DD, but she's still a bit young. I skimmed it at the library (it's out of print, but you can find it online). Way out of date, but some stuff never goes out of style. It'd be a good pair with a more current book that touches on the current STDs and perhaps some of the nuances of Internet relationships.
#10 of 14 Old 03-10-2010, 03:12 PM

American Girl has some surprisingly good books about various growing up topics. I've seen them at Barnes and Noble and Half Price Books.
#11 of 14 Old 03-17-2010, 02:38 AM

I don't have anything to add to the list but I just wanted to let you all know that I'm very glad about this thread. I'm in the process of "sorting my priorities" with my daughter and want to be ready for "boyfriend stuff".

Andreateapot2.GIF read.gif homebirth.jpg winner.jpg hang.gif, wife to K coolshine.gif, mother to loveeyes.gif photosmile2.gif reading.gif blahblah.gif

#12 of 14 Old 03-17-2010, 03:33 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
The Joy of Sex covers a good bit about healthy sex lives between couples.
#13 of 14 Old 03-17-2010, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by witch's mom View Post
There is a book by the same authors as Our Bodies Ourselves, but it's for teenagers. Changing Bodies, Changing Lives, by Ruth Bell. I considered it for my DD, but she's still a bit young. I skimmed it at the library (it's out of print, but you can find it online). Way out of date, but some stuff never goes out of style. It'd be a good pair with a more current book that touches on the current STDs and perhaps some of the nuances of Internet relationships.
I was given that book when I was 15, and it was awesome. If you can get hold of it, it's a great resource for a kid even WAY younger than that. Some of the birth control information might be a little outdated, but you can supplement that with more current info.

me knit.gif, he bikenew.gif, my three reading.gif, sleepytime.gif, and fairy.gif-- and the one we lost angel2.gif
#14 of 14 Old 03-26-2010, 05:45 PM

This book won't cover all your needs, but I think it really does a great job of covering the emotional aspects and history of societal views and pressures.

My DD is 10 going on 16 and I am rereading in an effort to decide when she is ready for it, but its a collection of stories form all sorts of women, all ages telling about their first time and it's impact, as well as when they finally felt happy in their sex lives and how that came about.

Heather, mama to Harriet, Crispin, in with Tom and 2

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page