On showing appreciation. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 03-13-2010, 08:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So... DSD turned 17 this week.

DP organizes a surprise birthday party for her at the local movie theater (where you sit and eat dinner while watching the movie); we are to gather 1 hour early, have cake, and watch Alice in Wonderland, she's been waiting for it forever. He tells her we are going to the mall, we end up at the movies, people start to show up, and she is sitting there sulking, because she didn't get to the mall.

Twenty minutes of pure pouting and looking displeased and mad. First of all, I leave the discipline to DP, and second of all, I'm not up to putting on a show in front of 20 people at the movies. I'm fuming in my mind, but not saying anything. Did I mention that DP made sure that DSD's little brother and sister on her mom's side are invited and are present at his event? That's a whole 'nother story. Anyway... Everyone is asking what's wrong, why DSD is upset - I just shrug my shoulders and say when we figure it out - we'll let them know. Presents coming in, people share well-wishes, everyone is chatting except for the birthday girl slouching in the corner chair, who declares once in a while she's okay with missing the whole thing and would rather go shopping. DP is making jokes, trying to cheer her up - unsuccessfully, he moves on to talk to the guests.

**** Any guesses how it ended? What would YOU do if your kid pulled this on you? How would this play out?

I'm taking bets here... No takers? Okay!

With about 20 minutes left until the movie, DSD leaves her chair, goes up to her dad who is going back and forth between the guests, taking care of drinks and food, etc. She gives him a hug, says THANK YOU, and starts to bawl her eyes out. Then she leaves to go to the bathroom to freshen up, and comes back a new smiley person.

I would have never guessed how this would end.

Go figure. Shows you what I understand in this life.

New endeavor coming soon...
Raising Alice in Wonderland (DSD, 17), and in love with a Superman
#2 of 2 Old 03-14-2010, 05:28 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
gosh these moody teenagers! sigh - well i am glad she pulled herself together, its better than my dd's 14th, i had all her friends at an arcade and she went awol, never showed at all!

Mom to DD born 1989 DS born 1993 and grandma to
DGS born 2005

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page