8 yr old girl ? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-09-2010, 02:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi, my oldest dd is a little over 8 yrs old. The last time she changed her undies, there was what looked like discharge in them, I didn't say anything about it to her. This morning she said to me that she thinks she is leaking a little pee, even though she is wiping really well after going to the bathroom, she said that because she is feeling some wetness down there. I looked in her undies and sure enough, it looked like discharge, not urine. Is this just a normal thing for this age, or is this a little early for that? I also asked her if she's having any itching or pain and she said no, she's feeling just normal besides the wetness thing. I'm guessing this is normal, but I thought it didn't start happening until more like 11 or 12 yrs old.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-09-2010, 11:09 PM

it could be a yeast infection. itchiness doens't always happen with them.
Old 05-12-2010, 11:40 AM - Thread Starter

I thought that if it was an infection there should be a bad smell, but there's not.
Old 05-12-2010, 05:54 PM

I remember being about that age, maybe 9, and snagging my mom's panty liners! So things were definitely changing for me at that age.

It could be an infection. You can have an infection without odor or itchiness. Or it could be normal! I'd maybe up her yogurt/probiotic intake and cut out sugars for a bit to see if it helps, just in case it is an infection.

Liz om.gif Lovin' DH partners.gif DS (12) coolshine.gif and forever missing DD angel3.gif (12/02/07) ribbonpb.gif
From the withered tree, a flower blooms~ He's here!!! So crazy in love with my  rainbow1284.gif  boy!!! 12/14/11 luxlove.gif fly-by-nursing1.gif

Old 06-14-2010, 04:30 AM

Same thing just happened tonight with my 9 yr old. Definately looked like discharge. She has always been pretty sensitive down there so I told her to let me know if she has any pain. She's never had an infection but this is the first time she's had this that I know of.

Sara: Separated Mom to , DD (9), , DS (5), DD (3), , & 4/5/10 + 2 & 1
Old 06-19-2010, 02:09 AM

Discharge at 8 is completely in the realm of normal. Make sure you are communicating about the changes her body is and will be going through and continue to encourage the open lines of communication.

Mama to A born 8/7/99
Old 06-20-2010, 09:00 PM

My almost 9yo (in a few weeks) has the same thing! Thanks for bringing this up-my mom freaked OUT about any occurences 'down there' so I never knew what was normal or not. DD and I chat about this kind of thing openly and she hasn't mentioned it but I did notice when doing laundry. I'll grab her some liners asap!

GOOD moms let their kids lick the beaters. GREAT moms turn off the mixer first!
Humanist Woman Wife , & Friend Plus Mama to 6 (3 mos, 2, 9, 13, 17, 20)
Old 07-15-2010, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doulatara View Post
Discharge at 8 is completely in the realm of normal. Make sure you are communicating about the changes her body is and will be going through and continue to encourage the open lines of communication.
This exactly - and also to the suggestion of pantyliners.

I'm a mother to one, stepmother to one and wife to my one.
Old 07-15-2010, 04:30 PM
WCM

As part of a regular menses cycle, discharge occurs before and during ovulation, with the most being after ovulation. Your DD's discharge could easily be a pre-puberty thing, her body beginning the slow changes to puberty. Some people have lots of discharge with ovulation others do not. Yeast infections do indeed have an itch or a smell.

If your DD's are otherwise comfortable I'd pass on some liners and have a discussion about the pubescent years.

Passionate posts = oodles of typos
Old 07-17-2010, 07:49 PM

My DD has this, too. As far as I can tell, she doesn't have an infection, but we haven't had any testing. It started when she was 6 yo and about 40 lbs. She is now 7, and still tiny, so I really don't think it is puberty-related. But it's there. Hmm. I haven't thought of this in a while, maybe I should get her checked out.

Stacy-- Wife to my DH, mom to three: noodle girl:, Lego boy , little guy :

User Tag List