What will they be doing this summer? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 05-13-2010, 03:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm interested to hear what plans other teens/ preteens have for the summer.

I've always had trouble keeping my kids busy over the summer. I'm hoping that my 16yo DS will find a part time job for the summer, but he doesn't seem to be as interested in that as I am. He's more interested in hanging out with his friends 24/7, and I'm worried about what teenage boys might get into with all that freedom stretched out in front of them. And my 11yo DD is at the awful in between stage, too old for toys, too young for boys (well- WE think she's too young for boys, she's doesn't!) She's not into sports at all. I definately don't want her just hanging out in front of the TV all summer.

So.. what will your kids be doing?
#2 of 12 Old 05-13-2010, 08:04 PM

My 18yo will be working F/T with me this summer. He needs to bank some serious bucks for school.

My 16yo is beefing up her pet-sitting work in the neighborhood, playing field hockey, and doing a research project with one of her Bio teachers.
#3 of 12 Old 05-13-2010, 08:22 PM

My teen is usually off at camps for at least 4 weeks (he usually does a local Science museum camp, a sports camp, a survival camp and at least one academic camp) but this summer he decided he didn't want to do any and I'm VERY afraid. He doesn't do well with long stretches of unscheduled time or should I say I don't do well with him laying about the house poking at his siblings!

He will have baseball through mid-July and football workouts start in mid-june. Those take up about 4 hours a day. Otherwise he is volunteering with the local city Parks and Rec teaching kids soccer and volunteering at the local Boys and Girls Club. He asked about getting a job as his football coach owns a local sub shop and wants to hire him but I'm not sure he has decided about it yet.
#4 of 12 Old 05-14-2010, 07:59 AM

Ugh-no clue yet. I work at a art studio for at risk kids, so I imagine they will be spending a good bit of time there.
#5 of 12 Old 05-14-2010, 09:43 AM

My 13 y.o. will be at 4-H camp for a week in June, and the we have nothing planned. We are going to the Keys for a couple of weeks, and after that just hanging at home.

We live on a farm with a pool, a pond and horses though, so we have a lot to keep us busy around the house.

DD: I'm bored and want to play Me: What about me? I can play. DD: No thanks, I mean a real person.
#6 of 12 Old 05-14-2010, 09:47 AM

My 14 year old will be starting conditioning for fall soccer try outs. The tryouts are actually the end of July/first of August, but the first practices/contitionings for them start out in June. This is for high school soccer.
#7 of 12 Old 05-14-2010, 10:53 AM

My 12 yr. old (she turns 13 in July) has two weeks of day camp, and one week on our vacation in Vermont...but I have no idea what to do for the rest of the summer. It's going to be hard to keep her busy while I work full time. I'm going to see if I can line up a few baby sitting jobs for her. We don't live near any of her friends--a lot of them are busy at camps or otherwise away. It's going to be hard...

I need to get her a new bike and encourage her to ride to her friends houses (those that will be around)...None live closer than 2-3 miles away and she hates bike riding...but if it means getting out of the house she might do it. This will be a big step for me to have her out and about while I'm at work. She will have to carry her cell phone with her at all times. I really don't want her sitting home all summer --on that darn Facebook...
#8 of 12 Old 05-14-2010, 11:32 AM

My 16 yo will be going to see her grandparents for 2 weeks out of state. She will be volunteering at a locally owned book store to get some work experience and gain some confidence. She has also been offerred some hours (paid) to hang out with a young lady with special needs.

My 13 (14 by summer) will spend two differrent weeks with his grandparents, a week of hockey camp, a week of lacrosse camp, he'll be haning out with an 11 year old and teaching him how to skate (paid), he's applied to the local youth police acadamy and he will play select lacrosse. In between he will hang out with friends and ride his bike all over town.

My 11 year old leaves for yellowstone the day after school ends with his BF and his mom. Comes back and leaves with his BF and dad for their annual fishing week. He will volunteer for a few programs for kiddos with special needs (I work for parks and rec), visit his grandparents a different week than his siblings, go see mine for a week and I think we are both going to start doing couch to 5K.
#9 of 12 Old 05-14-2010, 11:38 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
My kids go to sleep away camp for one week. They help at a local day camp for a couple of weeks more. Keeps them busy and looks good on college resume. Then there's hanging out. Going to the pool. Getting together with friends. I also have them come along to a lot of those outdoor concerts.
#10 of 12 Old 05-15-2010, 01:29 PM

15yo DD has an internship with a chef and will work in his restaurant a couple nights a week. She will also work on his farm which supplies the restaurant. She'll get paid for that.
13yo DS will likely do a week of climbing camp. He'll play his guitar on the pedestrian mall to make money a couple afternoons/ evenings per week.
8yo DS will likely do a week of soccer camp.
Other than that, they hang out with friends, play with kids in the neighborhood, go to the pool.
I work part time. So 3 mornings/week they are on their own. Hopefully, this summer will go more smoothly than last.
We'll take some day trips to hike, maybe camp a night or two. We are taking 3 weeks for a road trip to the beach at the end of the summer.
#11 of 12 Old 05-15-2010, 11:29 PM

We have several trips planned - to see family combined with a conference for me and on vacation we don't know where yet.

But that will only be a few weeks and I need DS to be occuppied. So I am working on volunteer opportunities - we have offered to pay him a stipend. I think he can help preparing for the big July 4th weekend music festival and then at the Animal shelter.

I am also thinking about a high school or college kid who can hang out with DS (DS has had some issues and I am not comfortable leaving him alone for long periods of time). He likes people older than he is, doesn't have a lot of same age friends.

Married to the love of my life, mom to DS :
#12 of 12 Old 05-16-2010, 11:42 AM

My preteens will be doing a lot structured activities this summer. All of them will be taking some sort of lesson or class at least once a week (music lessons, gymnastics, dance).

In addition to that, we have a lot of less structured activites planned. Once a week we're going to barge in on a homeschooling park day (we don't homeschool, but we used to and we have a lot of friends who go to this park day). There are kids of a variety of ages at this park day, so everyone has someone to hang out with. We get together with good friends at least once a week. We also will go to the library/out to lunch with DH/run errands one day per week.

Then there's lots of random things we'll do as a family on a less regular basis- go camping, go hiking (day trips), museums, zoos, historical sites,

We also entertain a lot, especially in the summer. Many of our friends have children the same age as our kids, so we'll hang out together. The adults will sit around a bonfire and chat while the kids play video games, run around in the woods, or hang out on their own.

New signature, same old me: Ann- mama of 2 boys and 2 girls, partnered to a fabulous man.
I'm an unintentional weasel feeder and I suck at proofreading.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page