need a gift for 11.5 yr old - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 06-06-2010, 05:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
My DSD is getting her first sibling somewhere mid/end of July. We'd like to get her a gift for the occasion, but are not sure what. We want it to be meaningful, not just some electronic game or something. On the other hand, she is very irresponsible and doesn't take care of any of her things (this may because the other side of her family has $ and showers her with things). As I'm writing this I'm thinking also of why we want to give her a gift. Part of it is wanting her to feel involved and part of the family. We've had her help with the registry and name suggestions. At the baby shower she wanted to unwrap the gifts but I said no. Maybe that was mean, but this is my first baby and sometimes I want things to be about me. That sounds so bad I know there will be more baby gifts and fuss over the baby when it arrives, I just want her to receive something as well. Thanks for any suggestions!

Loving mama to Aden (8/5/2010) and DSD (15).
#2 of 8 Old 06-06-2010, 08:55 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
how about a necklace from here:
http://www.lisaleonardonline.com/

Open your heart, Mama. Her life is about to change drastically too! Change is good with arms wide open Spread the love to her...not just through this gift but your validation and presence during this big time in her life. Hopefully someone will be that to you too as a first time mama!

Consciously mothering 3 girls and 2 boys
#3 of 8 Old 06-06-2010, 11:12 PM

I think this would be a great time for a more "adult" gift (ear piercing, something like that). I also like to give matching pajamas to older kids when they "get" a sibling--- we got our nephews (10 & newborn) dinosaur pjs from Hanna Anderson and older DN was excited.

#4 of 8 Old 06-07-2010, 08:17 AM

I realize that this might be tough with a newborn, but what about a gift of a fun lunch date, or movies together, or something that speaks to having time for her after the baby is born. I love the symbolism of an actual gift as well. I was thinking of perhaps a charm bracelet, if she hasn't already gotten one. You could start with engraved charms for you, her dad, her, and the baby, or something else special in her life, like a sport, etc. But something that acknowledges her need for space and time with both of you might be nice as well.
#5 of 8 Old 06-07-2010, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiredX2 View Post
I think this would be a great time for a more "adult" gift (ear piercing, something like that).
Please make sure that something like ear piercing is something that Mom is on-board with.
#6 of 8 Old 06-07-2010, 09:54 AM

How about a pewter heart box?

...Or a necklace that would have birthstones for her and her little sibling?

...Or a leather-bound journal? You could maybe write the first entry for her, like a special letter?

... Or a scrapbook to put the pictures of her and her little sibling?

New endeavor coming soon...
Raising Alice in Wonderland (DSD, 17), and in love with a Superman
#7 of 8 Old 06-07-2010, 01:14 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
-I was thinking of a beautiful leather bound journal too. Something she can record her thoughts in.

-Digital camera - my dd was about 12 when she got hers, and she loves being able to record special memories and moments.
#8 of 8 Old 06-08-2010, 10:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Oh these are some great ideas! In fact, maybe a couple of these together will work! I will discuss them with her father. Thank you so much!

Loving mama to Aden (8/5/2010) and DSD (15).

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page