SOOOOOO Not Ready For This! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 06-15-2010, 05:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
AGGHHHHH!

Just found out that DSS 15 started dating one of his friends over the weekend!

I'm not ready to parent a child that is dating! Please tell me everything will be o.k.!

Annie wife v2.0 to DH and joyfully parenting DSS 18 jog.gif, DSD 15 knit.gif, DSD 14 banana.gif, DSS 12bikenew.gifand heart hero DD 2superhero.gif. angel1.gif 8/2010

#2 of 7 Old 06-15-2010, 06:03 PM

Everything will be ok.

And I really mean that. There are far worse things he could be doing than dating.

malesling.GIFMutant Papa to DD (12)hippie.gif and DS (2)babyf.gif, married to DHribbonrainbow.gif
If it looks like I'm trying to pick a fight... I'm not, I'm rarely that obvious.hammer.gif
#3 of 7 Old 06-16-2010, 10:40 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MusicianDad View Post
Everything will be ok.

And I really mean that. There are far worse things he could be doing than dating.
Thanks for the reality check! DH and I talked to him last night and he told us all about it and to his credit, he didn't run to his room and slam the door even though DH gave him quite a ribbing. We talked about sex and how it's a very mature thing to do and if you aren't mature enough to deal with the consequences then you aren't mature enough to engage in the behavior. So I feel better today but I've watched WAY too many "16 and Pregnant" and I do not want to become a grandma before I've had a chance to have my own baby!

Annie wife v2.0 to DH and joyfully parenting DSS 18 jog.gif, DSD 15 knit.gif, DSD 14 banana.gif, DSS 12bikenew.gifand heart hero DD 2superhero.gif. angel1.gif 8/2010

#4 of 7 Old 06-16-2010, 03:19 PM

Well if it makes you feel safer, teens who don't get pregnant are far more numerous than teens who do.

malesling.GIFMutant Papa to DD (12)hippie.gif and DS (2)babyf.gif, married to DHribbonrainbow.gif
If it looks like I'm trying to pick a fight... I'm not, I'm rarely that obvious.hammer.gif
#5 of 7 Old 06-22-2010, 01:14 AM

Maybe you could also note to your DSS that "dating doesn't mean you have to have sex, and your dad and I are okay with that."

Even teens who aren't dating need to be prepared to have sex.

Teens who are dating need to know they can date but not have sex.
#6 of 7 Old 06-23-2010, 11:41 AM

Something my parents never told me (but luckily didn't impact me) was that when you choose to have sex with someone, imagine how you would feel if they were in your life FOREVER. B/c if there is a pregnancy you will be dealing with them forever...trying to co-parent, etc. I think looking at it from that perspective might help ease the pressure to have sex, just for the sake of having sex, and reinforce the idea of why people should wait until they find someone they love.

goorganic.jpgwife to footinmouth.gif, currently WOH and geek.gif on my doctorate. (I'm dissertating!) We: novaxnocirc.giftoddler.gifgd.giffamilybed1.gif  with DS (4/09)!
#7 of 7 Old 06-27-2010, 03:22 AM

*breathe in*

*breathe out*

(repeat)

The best advice I ever got on this was ONE sentence from a mom whose son is EXACTLY (to the day) my eldest daughter's age...he had started dating but my daughter had not. The mom was telling me about how he talked about kissing his girlfriend, and I gasped (I really wasn't prepared for her cool-headedness!), and her response was: "Oh, no. You just cannot get upset; smile at all costs and LISTEN."

It's just the best advice ever. Even if you're not happy, all you can do is hand out advice, expectations, and information. We set limits, we help make the rules, we provide a safe place to talk...but above all we have to want to listen, and they have to know we want to hear what is REALLY going on.

It's the hardest thing I ever did, LISTEN to my girls talk about their boyfriends. But it is still so worth it, and the rewards are amazing.

It sounds like you're doing a great job.

love, p

Bookworm Mama to 6 wonderkids and stepmama to one more: 21, 20, 18, 12, 9, 7 and our Z born 4/13. . Partner to mynut.gif   homebirth.jpghomeschool.gif     

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page