Would You Let Your 10 yo Have a Facebook Account? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: Would you let your 10 yo have a facebook account?
Yes 27 19.29%
No 97 69.29%
Not sure 13 9.29%
Other 3 2.14%
Voters: 140. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 48 Old 07-10-2010, 05:10 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Definitely not. I just can't imagine what good could come of a child so young having an online presence.
#32 of 48 Old 07-10-2010, 05:19 PM

My oldest is 13 and does not have a FB account. He asked back when he was 12 and I told him no, because he was too young. Then his dad and I talked to him about the ramifications of being online as he gets older. We stressed the point that once it's out there, it's out there forever. That there is no way to ever truly delete anything. He has decided that he doesn't want a FB account for now.
#33 of 48 Old 07-12-2010, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 little birds View Post
and even having my own fb page creeps me out a little.
I was so glad to read this because I feel this way too. I never understood the appeal of FB, to be honest. I've seen what some choose to share online and I personally would never be comfortable exposing that much of my personal life online for strangers to view.
#34 of 48 Old 07-12-2010, 09:05 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by joycenjackiesmom View Post
her best friend has gone on an 8 week trip to Europe and Africa and facebook has allowed them to keep in touch with each other (a real reason to be on facebook).
If they have time to get online, they can keep in touch via email.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19 (in Israel for another school year), Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 12(homeschooled)
#35 of 48 Old 07-13-2010, 12:16 AM

I just signed my 11 yr old up yesterday. She has very strict rules about using it but it is something good for her to use to keep in touch with friends and family since we don't have a house phone for her to use and we live away from our family.
I also don't see the big deal in the "age lie" I don't have my real birthday on it either because I don't want strangers to find me and try to steal my info.

Melanie wife and mama
#36 of 48 Old 07-13-2010, 11:15 AM

My 11 year old DS asked for one last week. We told him no. We have a few reasons why, but one is because I've seen what these sites can do in the school setting. I am a teacher, and I was teaching middle school (6-7 grade) when myspace first hit. It was a nightmare! The things the kids did to each other through it were horrible. It created a whole new set of problems for me to deal with each day.

FWIW - I DO have a FB account but I do not friend parents of students or students (unless they have graduated). I try to be very professional, and I don't think friending on FB allows me to accomplish that.
#37 of 48 Old 07-13-2010, 02:40 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dar View Post
I would. I'm not all that fussed about breaking rules based on age discrimination, which I think is wrong anyway, so that part wouldn't bother me. I'm also savvy enough to help my child adjust the settings so that she doesn't have to deal with weird people trying to friend her or anything like that.

For us, facebook has been a nice tool for keeping in touch with people...
Totally agree. I think that it is not OK that there isn't some way that parents can give their kids under 13 permission to be on facebook. Both of my kids (8 & 10) had an account, but they were deleted by some unknown source. Someone may have reported them as under-age.

They mainly played games like farmtown and many of their friends had accounts as well. Like others that allow it, I have the password and check their accounts regularly. Since their accounts have been deleted, they have not shown any interest in getting new ones, so they currently do not have them.

coffee-drinking caffix.gifsocial worker in HIV/AIDS ribbonred.giflady-loving ribbonrainbow.gifbike-riding bikenew.gifmom of two twins.gif
#38 of 48 Old 07-14-2010, 02:28 PM

No, I would not.

I don't allow my child on a computer at all without being supervised. She mostly plays pop trafficaand runescape.

Not all those who wander are lost 
#39 of 48 Old 07-14-2010, 02:40 PM

My 10 year old DD has her own facebook. I don't see the problem with it, since I'm the "keeper of the keys" anyway.

There are ground rules for her, though:
-- No picture of her as her profile. She has some random cartoon-ish photo instead.
-- I approve/disapprove all friends. And no one can see anything on her FB page without being a friend. So far, her meager friends list consists of other military children that she's befriended, and our family members.
-- No adding games or clicking links without checking with me first.
-- I have the username/password to her account. I also have the username/password to her email account. I can check her stuff at any point.

Now, if we were not a military family grasping at ways to stay in contact with friends who move away frequently, I probably wouldn't be so lax about it. However, since she is a military child with friends moving away every 2-3 years, I'm bending on this one-- especially when some friends are 6 time zones away and calling isn't exactly feasible.

Angie, proud Army wife to Dan, mom to Kat (4/00) and Gracie (11/09)!!
#40 of 48 Old 07-14-2010, 04:21 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
yes my 7 year old under different name.

you cannot find her or see her pictures because of her privacy statements.

i have no problems lying to FB. they are covering their own backs by making that rule. they are not looking out for the whole community. its just for liability reasons.

plus come on. my child wants to play the games. and she can only do some thru facebook.

however she is computer 'literate'. i mean safety literate. and i am careful too. just lately she has been connecting with some cousins and friends her age who are also on fb.

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
#41 of 48 Old 07-14-2010, 04:32 PM

They're actually complying with the law, not just making a rule to cover their butts or make your life more difficult or because they want to arbitrarily keep out children under 13.
http://www.coppa.org/

Quote:
Websites that are collecting information from children under the age of thirteen are required to comply with Federal Trade Commission ( FTC ) Children's Online Privacy Protection Act (COPPA).

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#42 of 48 Old 07-16-2010, 12:12 AM

Absolutely not.

And not because I don't trust my own children... they would post age appropriate things and they know not to click on any link without permission. But I have NO CONTROL over what other people make visible to me (or my children) on facebook, and some of what I've seen is just icky.

I've really been thinking a lot about this issue this week. I'm a pastor's wife, and have 'friended' some of the youth from our church... if they've requested it. It can be a way to keep in touch a bit... send a congrats after they've had a test or made the team or something. But one of them has been posting, well, compromising photos of her activities... and it makes me think it would be better to just have some separation there. The thought of my own kids seeing some of those pictures makes me feel ill.

Wife and Mama who homeschools-- mostly in the kitchen!
#43 of 48 Old 07-16-2010, 12:13 AM

Gracefulmom, I'm a pastor's wife as well (we need to get our tribe going again!) and have run into the same thing.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#44 of 48 Old 07-20-2010, 02:31 PM

My concerns lie in the dependency of always needing to be connected. Quite frankly, my 10 year old is too young to use facebook in a way that enhance her relationships instead of making her addicted to the computer. I want her outside playing and riding her bike and having real face to face interactions!

My 14 year old has a facebook account and it is a good way to keep in touch with cousins, grandparents and friends that have moved away. But, I approve all of her friend requests, set her security settings and I am a friend of hers. I approve of all photos she uploads and she is limited to 20 minute use per weekday and 45 minute use on weekends.
#45 of 48 Old 07-20-2010, 04:55 PM

I would vote a very strong no....at least at my house. His daddy's house has their own rules and not something I can control, however.

All of my reasons have pretty much been stated already....mine is only 5.8 though, just FWIW.

It's not that I wouldn't trust my own son, it's just that I don't trust the rest of the world.

Center
#46 of 48 Old 07-22-2010, 10:52 AM

#47 of 48 Old 07-22-2010, 01:21 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by azmo View Post
Yes. If you say no, they will create it elsewhere.
My bil and sil parent this way. It makes me crazy. I am the parent. You will respect my wishes or there will be consequences.
#48 of 48 Old 07-22-2010, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama1803 View Post
I think the caution is this:

Quote:
Clearly [the parents] haven't been dealing with any part of their daughter's digital life, given the fact that her posting got as far as it did...

An 11 y/o making a threat like that should set off all kinds of alarms having nothing to do with youtube or fb. The internet doesn't cause violence--it just makes it public.

I don't think that the internet is a dangerous place for kids when their parents are involved, when they talk to their kids about internet safety, about what is okay to publish online and what is dicey (and why,) when parents have some idea of what's going on in their kids' lives, and are there to help them work through difficulties they're having...

Single Mom to 3 (12, 17 & 21)  luxlove.gif and dog2.gif.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page