pot smoking teen - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
#61 of 107 Old 08-06-2010, 10:49 PM
 
To-Fu's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: On the base ship
Posts: 4,481
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'd like to be relaxed abot it but then I read Katie's story:

http://mamapundit.com/

Have you seen the updated user agreement yet?
To-Fu is offline  
#62 of 107 Old 08-07-2010, 01:35 AM
Dar
 
Dar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 11,438
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by To-Fu View Post
I'd like to be relaxed abot it but then I read Katie's story:

http://mamapundit.com/
Yeah... my answers were different before Henry got hurt and then died, for sure. I'm still not sure what the right answer is, and FWIW my reply to my kid's pot smoking was pretty low key (I was mostly concerned with whether she'd been in the car with anyone who was stoned, and she hadn't been) and she's a successful 17 year old without an sort of substance abuse issues... but my heart breaks for Katie and her whole family.

 
fambedsingle1.gifSingle mom to Rain (1/93) , grad student, and world traveler earth.gif


  

Dar is offline  
#63 of 107 Old 08-07-2010, 01:39 AM
 
MusicianDad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Tuponia
Posts: 10,838
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommyinIL1976 View Post
For those that would/do allow/encourage marijuana usage in their homes, does this also extend to other drugs (i.e. cocaine/heroin)? If no...why not?
1) I don't think any one here is saying they would encourage it. Just that they wouldn't have a problem with it.

And

2) Seriously? What's the difference between marijuana and cocaine/heroine? I have to ask just because so you can ignore the next sentence if you want but... Are you for real?

Ok, now here's a quick run down.

Heroine is a highly addictive, dangerous drug that one can easily OD on and/or get dragged deep into the underground drug scene, including but not limited too, dealing, prostitution, and violent criminal behaviour.

Cocaine is also a highly addictive, dangerous drug that can easily be OD'd on and/or drag someone deep into the underground drug scene, this includes but is not limited too, dealing, prostitution and violent criminal behaviour.

Marijuana on the other hand is low risk for addiction (I believe it was found that the average person would have to smoke multiple times a day, every day for six months at least to even be at risk of developing an addiction). There have been no (zero, zilch, none what so ever) recorded incidents of people od on THC.

malesling.GIFMutant Papa to DD (12)hippie.gif and DS (2)babyf.gif, married to DHribbonrainbow.gif
If it looks like I'm trying to pick a fight... I'm not, I'm rarely that obvious.hammer.gif
MusicianDad is offline  
#64 of 107 Old 08-07-2010, 01:41 AM
 
~Demeter~'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: northern Illinois
Posts: 5,065
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The thing about Katie's story.. is that's it's quite unusual and Henry didn't die from pot smoking. He died from a series of very catastrophic events and a lot harder substances than pot. My son looks an awful lot like Henry did and my heart ached for her when I came across her story. I spoke with my oldest and he actually read through Henry's story and felt a huge connection with him. I think open communication is far more important than reacting with an iron fist over something like smoking pot... I just don't see it as the end all, be all doorway to other drug use. Some people are more predisposed to use drugs to escape... or even for recreation. Some people drink in the same manner... but that's legal.

Nic, loving mama to 5 with a SURPRISE 6th on the way.

~Demeter~ is offline  
#65 of 107 Old 08-07-2010, 05:12 PM
 
To-Fu's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: On the base ship
Posts: 4,481
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Demeter~ View Post
The thing about Katie's story.. is that's it's quite unusual and Henry didn't die from pot smoking. He died from a series of very catastrophic events and a lot harder substances than pot. My son looks an awful lot like Henry did and my heart ached for her when I came across her story. I spoke with my oldest and he actually read through Henry's story and felt a huge connection with him. I think open communication is far more important than reacting with an iron fist over something like smoking pot... I just don't see it as the end all, be all doorway to other drug use. Some people are more predisposed to use drugs to escape... or even for recreation. Some people drink in the same manner... but that's legal.
Right, but it all starts somewhere, you know? She regrets how laid back she was when Henry first confessed to using pot, which was why I shared the link. Here's what she says:

http://www.babble.com/CS/blogs/homew...on-Granju.aspx

Have you seen the updated user agreement yet?
To-Fu is offline  
#66 of 107 Old 08-07-2010, 05:18 PM
 
~Demeter~'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: northern Illinois
Posts: 5,065
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by To-Fu View Post
Right, but it all starts somewhere, you know? She regrets how laid back she was when Henry first confessed to using pot, which was why I shared the link. Here's what she says:

http://www.babble.com/CS/blogs/homew...on-Granju.aspx

I know what she says.. but most kids don't progress to that level of drug use from smoking pot. There's a lot more involved in that story than just marijuana use. I can understand her regrets about being so laid back about it... and I think anybody in her situation would feel the same but I don't think that's the norm or regular for most kids experimenting. If I recall (don't have to reread through that link) he was pretty tore up about confessing to using it...

Nic, loving mama to 5 with a SURPRISE 6th on the way.

~Demeter~ is offline  
#67 of 107 Old 08-07-2010, 05:49 PM
 
SashaBreeze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 626
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Drugs. I hate them.
Alienation, belittlement, banishment. I hate them.

I would not allow or encourage drug use in my home. But neither would I force my child into a situation were the only option left is for lying, fighting and a complete break down of communication become the normal course of the day. You can take drugs very seriously without taking it to a me vs. you level.

My oldest daughters biological father started out smoking pot. He moved on to harder and harder drugs. He knew I had a no drug policy as far as dating goes and he managed to hide his drug use from me for the 8 months or so that we were a couple. He hung himself at the age of 24. As far as I know the adults in his life always chose to either pretend the problem was not there or walk the hard line of do as I say or get out.

My oldest sister started smoking pot as a young teen to be "cool". She continued down that path and is addicted to drugs to this day. Her life has been an on again off again MESS including her children frequently being taken for her and in some cases her abandoning them. It is nothing short of mind boggling that she is still alive, especially since she has actively tried to take her own life 3 separate times. Sadly her life is more regret when she looks back on it than anything else.

I also know first hand dozens of people that smoked pot from the heavy daily smokers to the every once in a while with friends smoker and they are all fine. Went on to lead very productive lives and never attempted to do anything harder.

I am fully aware of the potential of either outcome. Drugs in our home are taken very seriously. My only point was/is that kicking them out or completely betraying their trust and showing them ZERO respect is NOT the way to discourage drug use, it is however the perfect recipe for a complete break down for your relationship with your child. I just felt like keeping a pulse on things and an open honest dialog with her ds would be the best option for the OP, and still do.

I hope my view was a little more clear this time around and has not caused any offence. Because ultimately that is all it is, a view, an opinion, one persons thoughts on the issue.

Loved wife to JT and grateful mother to M (dd age 13) L (dd age 10) T (ds age 6) A (ds age 4) E (dd age 2) and C & S (twin boys born 10/13/10)
and yes, I blog. thumb.gif
SashaBreeze is offline  
#68 of 107 Old 08-07-2010, 06:00 PM
 
EdnaMarie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 6,148
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancynance View Post
DH and I are wrestling over how to handle DS who we are pretty sure is smoking pot with his friends. He will be 18 in 2 months, and is planning on attending the local community college. Do we drug test him at home? I hate that idea. Do we tell him he has to stop or he has to leave home? I hate that idea too. Not really having any other problems with him, just don't know what's the wise thing to do.
I don't have a teen, but I remember my mom's attitude when I was a teen, that kept me from drugs. It was:

"I understand you may want to experiment, even though you know how much I screwed up my own life that way. I only ask that you let me know where you are and whom you are with, and if you are planning on taking a mental vacation or getting in a serious relationship so I can watch out for you. I can help you get protection from STDs if you need it."

She repeated this SO OFTEN and I was mortified each time.

I never had sex or toyed with drugs--I saw enough consequences in my own parents' lives for that--but I am convinced that part of it was the feeling that I really did owe it to her to be honest.

Her policy was also--your body is yours, but if I ever find so much as a single fraction of an ounce of any illegal substance, be it explosive or narcotic or anything, IN MY HOUSE, you are out. I worked too hard to lose what I have for that sh*t. Her idea was, she had to smoke in the woods, we could too. We knew we could clean up and go back, but no drugs in the house.

She ALSO had the policy that we had to pay rent from the end of public school or the age of 18, whichever came second.

I think my mom had an extremely reasonable policy in this regard. It is one parenting thing I will definitely emulate. So just something to consider.

You don't even need to confront him. You can just say you saw something online and you wanted to make sure you were clear with him.

Her policy was the same for all drugs. We were welcome, the drugs weren't.

It's not that the stay-at-home-parent gets to stay home with the kids. The kids get to stay home with a parent. Lucky Mom to DD1 (4 y) and DD2 (18 mo), Wife to Mercenary Dad
EdnaMarie is offline  
#69 of 107 Old 08-07-2010, 06:34 PM
 
MusicianDad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Tuponia
Posts: 10,838
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Things are so much more complex that just "he/she used pot and moved on to harder drugs".

Especially in a country that so villainizes pot, and makes it illegal. Maybe people start there, but the people they spend time with have more of an effect. You hang out with someone who smokes pot, but they are otherwise responsible people who aren't into the gang/rave/getting wasted every weekend, then there is no exposure and no pressure and usually no inclination to go further. If you are spending time with people for whom pot is the tip of the ice berg, there is exposure, and likely pressure, and an opportunity to start using harder drugs.

Just like alcohol. Because a teen has a few drinks with friends it doesn't mean he is going to start binge drinking and using drugs, unless he or she is involved with a group of people for whom that is par for the course.

Being hard lined on all drugs, including pot, doesn't protect your children. Helping them to learn how to recognize and extricate themselves from situations, and friends, who are engaging in this extreme behaviour is far more likely to succeed. It has to happen before they get to that point though, they need to be able to step away at the first sense of trouble.

I've seen the fall with my own eyes, a dear friend from high school who was "guided" by his parents saying 'don't do x' or 'don't hang out with y'. He was never told 'look, if your friends are doing x/y/z and you are getting the sense that they are turning to dangerous activities, or getting into something big that you don't want to be a part of, here are some things you can do to get out early.' When he finally got that message, he was in too deep and it took years for him to crawl back out of the hole he had dug himself into.

malesling.GIFMutant Papa to DD (12)hippie.gif and DS (2)babyf.gif, married to DHribbonrainbow.gif
If it looks like I'm trying to pick a fight... I'm not, I'm rarely that obvious.hammer.gif
MusicianDad is offline  
#70 of 107 Old 08-07-2010, 07:59 PM
 
babygirlie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 876
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I think some people are so into their cause of legalization it clouds their views on other subjects.

The subject is.. should I allow my child to do illegal activities in MY home? What right does a teenager have to destroy his/her family? By him doing illegal drugs he takes the chance of his parents going to prison, losing their jobs, putting their child/parent relationship on the line, and losing their HOME. He has ZERO right to put that risk onto anyone but himself. A cop is not going to care who's drugs it is... it's been on tv all the time.. your house YOUR drugs. Oh it was the renters the kids.. doesn't matter YOUR house YOUR DRUGS. Say goodbye to your job because your in jail on drug charges and the cops legally can confiscate your home in a drug bust. Like it or not.

It is NOT decriminalized in America. In my state it is legal with a script. They made a database. Bush said I don't give a rat's behind what your state legalizes it is federally against the law and if we get that list we WILL press charges and you WILL be going to prison. I'm in a LOT of pain and my family desperately want me on mj as I will not take pills for pain 99% of the time. Even though mj is legal here on the news every single day is drug busts and ppl going to jail. You're taking a huge risk with or without it being legal because the federal govt has not legalized it and they're what counts (unfortunately).

Should SHE have to live with all those consequences? How about coughing and the STENCH from the smoke in her house? And trust me it is a stink that lingers and bolted doors don't hide it. And yes, it will make you cough.

BTW, as for all the other random rebuttals that do not have anythign to do with the topic.. yes I think it is a gateway drug BECAUSE you are making contacts in the drug community and tend to only befriend people who are mj friendly and it's those people who are going to know people who do other drugs (including prescrption meds). And I am guessing more than 1% of the mj community has dabbled in other things like mushrooms, acid... whatever. Maybe they didn't become a crack head but they have tested their body out.

As for addiction. There is now a study about people who have addictions have it in their brain make up to be addicted to anything. You can definately be addicted to mj, same as you can be completely addicted to food. But yes crack is worse but mj can completely destroy your life and it can take only a few months. (fact from exp)

How is it different than speeding? I would cry if my child sped and risked his life everyday. You can't demand anything from anyone but giving up my life just so you could die wouldn't sit well with me... but it also won't mean I will be going to jail when you kill that family of 6 on the highway. I'll "just" be out a kid. (ugh) However if my kid was underage say 13... and speeding.. I'm pretty sure I would be on the hook for SOMETHING.

There are also now studies out that show pot smoking is twice as bad for your lungs than tabacco. It's not the sweet things people make it out to be.

So no your child should NOT be allowed to dictate YOUR life and risk YOUR life. Can he risk his own? Unfortunately. Should you test him? He's too old for that. Should he be forced to not have it in your home if that bothers you? Absolutely. Can pot hurt him in the long run? Absolutely.

And yes I AM for legalization but not for being blindly stupid in my endeavers to campaign for something.

And allowing a 13 year old to smoke pot is completely criminal and stupid. Sorry.. had to say it.. but that's really allowing a road of bad behavior and not hanging out with the right people. I would rather my child hate me than be a dead prostitute on 13th street.
babygirlie is offline  
#71 of 107 Old 08-07-2010, 08:00 PM
 
mommyinIL1976's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Central IL
Posts: 113
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MusicianDad View Post
1) I don't think any one here is saying they would encourage it. Just that they wouldn't have a problem with it.

And

2) Seriously? What's the difference between marijuana and cocaine/heroine? I have to ask just because so you can ignore the next sentence if you want but... Are you for real?

Ok, now here's a quick run down.

Heroine is a highly addictive, dangerous drug that one can easily OD on and/or get dragged deep into the underground drug scene, including but not limited too, dealing, prostitution, and violent criminal behaviour.

Cocaine is also a highly addictive, dangerous drug that can easily be OD'd on and/or drag someone deep into the underground drug scene, this includes but is not limited too, dealing, prostitution and violent criminal behaviour.

Marijuana on the other hand is low risk for addiction (I believe it was found that the average person would have to smoke multiple times a day, every day for six months at least to even be at risk of developing an addiction). There have been no (zero, zilch, none what so ever) recorded incidents of people od on THC.
Okay....I think you misunderstood my question. I am familiar with the differences in the drugs (your condescension aside). To clarify what I was asking: Would your tolerance of marijuana usage in your home extend to other drugs?

I guess by your response, your answer would be no? So are you saying you would kick a heroin/cocaine user out of your home? This seems as counter productive as kicking a marijuana user out of your home.

If you wouldn't kick a heroin/cocaine user out of your home, but would instead seek treatment for that individual, why wouldn't you do so for someone using marijuana, if you don't condone it's usage. In your previous posts you seem to imply that marijuana can be a good thing (a stress reliever), you know several intelligent people who use it regularly, and that it has no negative health effects. (I disagree with that assessment, by the way. Several studies have shown that marijuana smoke has 50-70% more carcinogens than tobacco smoke. Additionally, studies have shown that THC is a disinhibitor (like alcohol), leading individuals to more risky behaviors like driving under the influence, sexual risk taking, etc.)

Now...I have to admit, I am for decriminalization of all drugs. I believe it should be treated as a health problem. And yes, I see it as a health problem to self medicate with marijuana, narcotics, or alcohol in an effort to "relax", "chill-out", or "decompress". There are more healthful ways to do this than ingesting carcinogenic substances into your body.

The angle I was coming at in my questions was to explore the boundaries people have for the acceptance of certain drugs over others. I'm sorry if you misunderstood.

Justine, wife to DH :cop:, mom to DS(14) :, DD(13) and DS(8)
mommyinIL1976 is offline  
#72 of 107 Old 08-07-2010, 08:04 PM
 
philomom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Pacific Northwest
Posts: 9,439
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by babygirlie View Post
I think some people are so into their cause of legalization it clouds their views on other subjects.

The subject is.. should I allow my child to do illegal activities in MY home? What right does a teenager have to destroy his/her family? By him doing illegal drugs he takes the chance of his parents going to prison, losing their jobs, putting their child/parent relationship on the line, and losing their HOME. He has ZERO right to put that risk onto anyone but himself. A cop is not going to care who's drugs it is... it's been on tv all the time.. your house YOUR drugs. Oh it was the renters the kids.. doesn't matter YOUR house YOUR DRUGS. Say goodbye to your job because your in jail on drug charges and the cops legally can confiscate your home in a drug bust. Like it or not.


BTW, as for all the other random rebuttals that do not have anythign to do with the topic.. yes I think it is a gateway drug BECAUSE you are making contacts in the drug community and tend to only befriend people who are mj friendly and it's those people who are going to know people who do other drugs (including prescription meds). And I am guessing more than 1% of the mj community has dabbled in other things like mushrooms, acid... whatever. Maybe they didn't become a crack head but they have tested their body out.

As for addiction. There is now a study about people who have addictions have it in their brain make up to be addicted to anything. You can definitely be addicted to mj, same as you can be completely addicted to food. But yes crack is worse but mj can completely destroy your life and it can take only a few months. (fact from exp)

How is it different than speeding? I would cry if my child sped and risked his life everyday. You can't demand anything from anyone but giving up my life just so you could die wouldn't sit well with me... but it also won't mean I will be going to jail when you kill that family of 6 on the highway. I'll "just" be out a kid. (ugh) However if my kid was underage say 13... and speeding.. I'm pretty sure I would be on the hook for SOMETHING.

There are also now studies out that show pot smoking is twice as bad for your lungs than tobacco. It's not the sweet things people make it out to be.

So no your child should NOT be allowed to dictate YOUR life and risk YOUR life. Can he risk his own? Unfortunately. Should you test him? He's too old for that. Should he be forced to not have it in your home if that bothers you? Absolutely. Can pot hurt him in the long run? Absolutely.
Thank you for this post. This covers many of my own thoughts well.
philomom is offline  
#73 of 107 Old 08-07-2010, 08:12 PM
2xy
 
2xy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 3,162
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SashaBreeze View Post
My oldest daughters biological father started out smoking pot. He moved on to harder and harder drugs. He knew I had a no drug policy as far as dating goes and he managed to hide his drug use from me for the 8 months or so that we were a couple. He hung himself at the age of 24. As far as I know the adults in his life always chose to either pretend the problem was not there or walk the hard line of do as I say or get out.

<snip>

My oldest sister started smoking pot as a young teen to be "cool". She continued down that path and is addicted to drugs to this day. Her life has been an on again off again MESS including her children frequently being taken for her and in some cases her abandoning them. It is nothing short of mind boggling that she is still alive, especially since she has actively tried to take her own life 3 separate times. Sadly her life is more regret when she looks back on it than anything else.
It doesn't sound to me like drugs were the root of the problem in either of these cases.

There are people who drink and do mild recreational drugs for fun and relaxation, and then there are people who DRINK and do harder drugs because they are emotional wrecks (for whatever reason) and need an escape. They're self-medicating, destructive as it is.

Obviously, long term use of hard drugs just makes life worse, not better. But who is to say that the young man might not have taken his life earlier if not for the escape that drugs provide? If my kids wanted to do drugs, my first response would not be "No!" It would be "Why?" I'd want to know what they were seeking.
2xy is offline  
#74 of 107 Old 08-07-2010, 08:39 PM
 
SashaBreeze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 626
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2xy View Post
Obviously, long term use of hard drugs just makes life worse, not better. But who is to say that the young man might not have taken his life earlier if not for the escape that drugs provide? If my kids wanted to do drugs, my first response would not be "No!" It would be "Why?" I'd want to know what they were seeking.
I agree.

I think ultimately that would be my response as well. That is my point in the whole thing. To communicate with your children about drugs really dig deep and dedicate yourself to the situation not to ignore it or to completely come unhinged over it, but to face it together and work at moving forward.

Loved wife to JT and grateful mother to M (dd age 13) L (dd age 10) T (ds age 6) A (ds age 4) E (dd age 2) and C & S (twin boys born 10/13/10)
and yes, I blog. thumb.gif
SashaBreeze is offline  
#75 of 107 Old 08-07-2010, 10:12 PM
 
MusicianDad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Tuponia
Posts: 10,838
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommyinIL1976 View Post
Okay....I think you misunderstood my question. I am familiar with the differences in the drugs (your condescension aside). To clarify what I was asking: Would your tolerance of marijuana usage in your home extend to other drugs?

I guess by your response, your answer would be no? So are you saying you would kick a heroin/cocaine user out of your home? This seems as counter productive as kicking a marijuana user out of your home.

If you wouldn't kick a heroin/cocaine user out of your home, but would instead seek treatment for that individual, why wouldn't you do so for someone using marijuana, if you don't condone it's usage. In your previous posts you seem to imply that marijuana can be a good thing (a stress reliever), you know several intelligent people who use it regularly, and that it has no negative health effects. (I disagree with that assessment, by the way. Several studies have shown that marijuana smoke has 50-70% more carcinogens than tobacco smoke. Additionally, studies have shown that THC is a disinhibitor (like alcohol), leading individuals to more risky behaviors like driving under the influence, sexual risk taking, etc.)

Now...I have to admit, I am for decriminalization of all drugs. I believe it should be treated as a health problem. And yes, I see it as a health problem to self medicate with marijuana, narcotics, or alcohol in an effort to "relax", "chill-out", or "decompress". There are more healthful ways to do this than ingesting carcinogenic substances into your body.

The angle I was coming at in my questions was to explore the boundaries people have for the acceptance of certain drugs over others. I'm sorry if you misunderstood.
First off, there is no solid proof that marijuana causes cancer. There have been several studies to the contrary.

Second, would I get help for someone if the drug in question were heroine or cocaine? Yes, the reason being both of those are highly addictive. Marijuana is not. There are people who would drag their kid to rehab because they smoked marijuana once. Around here you would get laughed out of the clinic. Marijuana is not a highly addictive drug. That is part of the rampant misconception about marijuana.

I never said there were no negative side effects. There are, most (if not all) of those side affects occur with heavy use of the drug, not with what someone who smokes a little with friends once or twice a month.

Most people who occasionally smoke marijuana are not self medicating. Some are admittedly, I do on occasion because it sure as hell beats prozac, but unless someone is a heavy user you can't assume that they have some psychological or emotion trauma that leads them to smoke.

You want to know why marijuana is still illegal (though decriminalized in many places in the US)? Go check out the list of what studies have show it to have a beneficial affect on. Heck, even MRSA is on that list. Not to mention depression, ADD/ADHD, some types of cancers, OCD, turrets and a dozen or so more. This is beyond the AIDS/HIV, glaucoma and help for chemo patients you hear about most often.

Not to mention the other uses, paper, cloth, building material, a lot of big companies would loose a lot of money if cannabis becomes legal to grow. So they continue to perpetuate myths like "the gateway drug" or what was shown in Reefer Madness (which btw, includes murder as a potential side effect...)

So basically, yeah I have done my research and I would never put marijuana in the same category as cocaine or heroine. D.A.R.E. does, as do other zero tolerance groups, but in reality it doesn't even come close.

malesling.GIFMutant Papa to DD (12)hippie.gif and DS (2)babyf.gif, married to DHribbonrainbow.gif
If it looks like I'm trying to pick a fight... I'm not, I'm rarely that obvious.hammer.gif
MusicianDad is offline  
#76 of 107 Old 08-07-2010, 10:20 PM
 
MusicianDad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Tuponia
Posts: 10,838
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by babygirlie View Post

BTW, as for all the other random rebuttals that do not have anythign to do with the topic.. yes I think it is a gateway drug BECAUSE you are making contacts in the drug community and tend to only befriend people who are mj friendly and it's those people who are going to know people who do other drugs (including prescrption meds). And I am guessing more than 1% of the mj community has dabbled in other things like mushrooms, acid... whatever. Maybe they didn't become a crack head but they have tested their body out.
More than 1%? Probably, more than 10%? I would be surprised... Not everyone who is MJ friendly is big on other drugs. Most of them simply realize that MJ has been unfairly treated for a number of reasons (the big ones being racism and money). MJ is one of the few (maybe even only) drugs that anti-drug groups actually feel the need to lie about the actual affects of the drug. The gateway theory is one of those, MJ being "highly addictive" is another, the idea that smoking weed will lead you to kill your girlfriend or mug an old lady is another. If it's such a terrible drug why do they feel they can't make their argument with facts?

P.S. Smoking is a stronger indicator of future drug use that marijuana.

P.P.S. Those who are MJ friendly just want people to have a chance to look at all the information and not just the crap the government puts out there. Do some research, see what the other side is actually saying before demonizing them and the drug.

malesling.GIFMutant Papa to DD (12)hippie.gif and DS (2)babyf.gif, married to DHribbonrainbow.gif
If it looks like I'm trying to pick a fight... I'm not, I'm rarely that obvious.hammer.gif
MusicianDad is offline  
#77 of 107 Old 08-07-2010, 10:32 PM
 
babygirlie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 876
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Off topic, How would using drugs be "escaping"? you have problems so you turn to a substance that, unless you live under a rock, know for a fact will destroy you inside and out and will cause the rest of your life to be miserable, like attempting sobriety for the rest of your life... be escaping? It would make your problems ten times worse. I, intellectually, don't get that. I have no respect for people who PURPOSEFULLY destroy themselves and then want a pat on the back when they attempt sobriety like celebrities. Maybe it's the alien in me that does not understand how nausea, dizziness, unprotected bad sex with stds, vomiting, chronic addiction to fight every minute for the rest of your life would make anyone feel better or that they've escaped anything. Just the thought makes me queezy. Try yoga or therapy or gardening.
babygirlie is offline  
#78 of 107 Old 08-07-2010, 10:38 PM
 
Chamomile Girl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: West of the Sierras East of the Sea
Posts: 2,860
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by babygirlie View Post
Off topic, How would using drugs be "escaping"? you have problems so you turn to a substance that, unless you live under a rock, know for a fact will destroy you inside and out and will cause the rest of your life to be miserable, like attempting sobriety for the rest of your life... be escaping? It would make your problems ten times worse. I, intellectually, don't get that. I have no respect for people who PURPOSEFULLY destroy themselves and then want a pat on the back when they attempt sobriety like celebrities. Maybe it's the alien in me that does not understand how nausea, dizziness, unprotected bad sex with stds, vomiting, chronic addiction to fight every minute for the rest of your life would make anyone feel better or that they've escaped anything. Just the thought makes me queezy. Try yoga or therapy or gardening.
Pot does not destroy your body "inside and out'" Its an herb for freaks sake, its not meth. That to me is like saying don't drink coffee if you need energy. Just get more sleep!!

This post indicates to me that you have no respect for the intellect of people who disagree with your opinion about its effects.

Unprotected bad sex with std's? Huh??

Yoga, therapy and gardening..hee hee hee . Not everyone embraces the bourgeois lifestyle.
Chamomile Girl is offline  
#79 of 107 Old 08-07-2010, 10:57 PM
 
MusicianDad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Tuponia
Posts: 10,838
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by babygirlie View Post
Off topic, How would using drugs be "escaping"? you have problems so you turn to a substance that, unless you live under a rock, know for a fact will destroy you inside and out and will cause the rest of your life to be miserable, like attempting sobriety for the rest of your life... be escaping? It would make your problems ten times worse. I, intellectually, don't get that. I have no respect for people who PURPOSEFULLY destroy themselves and then want a pat on the back when they attempt sobriety like celebrities. Maybe it's the alien in me that does not understand how nausea, dizziness, unprotected bad sex with stds, vomiting, chronic addiction to fight every minute for the rest of your life would make anyone feel better or that they've escaped anything. Just the thought makes me queezy. Try yoga or therapy or gardening.
Because when you are on something like Heroin... You just don't care.

It's an escape from reality, the bad side effects don't kick in until you need your next dose. It inhibits your ability to think rationally about something and rightly predict the outcome.

Pot doesn't do all that though, it relaxes you, but not to the point where you think "hey, the guy pissed me of so if I knife him and dump his body in the trash then say I didn't do it, I will get off!"

Pot is like yoga, therapy and gardening all rolled into one. It just relaxes you, makes you feel better about yourself, and helps you stop dwelling on the bad. All without the dizziness, or random unprotected sex (very few people do that on just MJ), vomiting, or chronic addiction.

I do think you should do a little research on addiction, what it is, what the predispositions are, and how the different drugs affect people. It doesn't make sense to you, I am guessing, because you assume that people go into using with the intention of getting addicted.

P.S. It's hard to have sex with an STD, they are kind of... small. On the other hand you can have sex with someone who has an STD.

malesling.GIFMutant Papa to DD (12)hippie.gif and DS (2)babyf.gif, married to DHribbonrainbow.gif
If it looks like I'm trying to pick a fight... I'm not, I'm rarely that obvious.hammer.gif
MusicianDad is offline  
#80 of 107 Old 08-08-2010, 11:08 AM
 
AbundantLife's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 173
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Regardless of how harmful or non-harmful one believes pot to be, it is still illegal most everywhere. If my oldest son (a college sr) were to be busted, he would lose his financial aid and possibly his future in his chosen career.

I did find out that he tried it (most teens do) and I expressed to him that it was not acceptable to me, told him about the consequences, and made sure he knew that I would not condone it.

Interestingly, many on this board are of the, "I did it and I turned OK" mindset. I want better for my kids than my DH and I did. My DH spent a good many years as a pot head and never finished college because of it. He regrets that and has made every effort to assure our kids don't end up like he did.
AbundantLife is offline  
#81 of 107 Old 08-08-2010, 01:06 PM
 
enkmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Illinois
Posts: 1,388
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The thing is, for every pot head who doesn't finish college, there are people like my husband who was a pot head and graduated from Grinnell and University of Iowa law school with high honors. You can't say pot is the reason someone succeeds or fails.

My opinion still stands. My teens lead happy, active social lives. They hold down jobs, volunteer, my son goes to college and is doing well. If they want to drink beer or smoke a little recreational marijuana on the weekends, I am not going to come down hard on it.
enkmom is offline  
#82 of 107 Old 08-08-2010, 02:55 PM
 
imagine21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Sonoma County, CA
Posts: 474
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by babygirlie View Post
There are also now studies out that show pot smoking is twice as bad for your lungs than tabacco.
Uh, no...quoting from my earlier post...(And before someone says that smoking pot increases the chance of getting lung cancer, the most recent studies show the opposite http://www.webmd.com/lung-cancer/new...to-lung-cancer.)

Please cite your studies...I'd like to review them.
imagine21 is offline  
#83 of 107 Old 08-08-2010, 03:45 PM
 
EdnaMarie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 6,148
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagine21 View Post
Uh, no...quoting from my earlier post...(And before someone says that smoking pot increases the chance of getting lung cancer, the most recent studies show the opposite http://www.webmd.com/lung-cancer/new...to-lung-cancer.)

Please cite your studies...I'd like to review them.
Can I ask whether this is really relevant?

I mean, if it was "only" half as bad as tobacco, would that be okay? Obviously, marijuana is harmful to some degree for everyone, but it has its benefits for some others, and that's it's very addictive for some, though not others. Like certain otc painkillers, for that matter. But those are legal.

Marijuana is illegal, and if you get caught, nobody cares how harmful it is for you. The point is, if you have a certain amount, you can get charged with intent to distribute! I mean... I don't know about YOU all, but that is the reason *I* don't smoke regularly, and though I have had a joint once and again, never will have it in my house and never will be in a place where I think I could get caught.

Why ruin your whole future for a little high? I mean really. I can vote pro-legalization without risking my own future and criminal record.

The point is, the OP doesn't like it, it's illegal, so what should she do?

I don't think you're going to turn her into a pot civil liberties crusader on behalf of her son on this thread, so what's the point?

It's not that the stay-at-home-parent gets to stay home with the kids. The kids get to stay home with a parent. Lucky Mom to DD1 (4 y) and DD2 (18 mo), Wife to Mercenary Dad
EdnaMarie is offline  
#84 of 107 Old 08-08-2010, 03:55 PM
 
Smithie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 4,529
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
"Her idea was, she had to smoke in the woods, we could too."

Heh. With my mom, it was "I had to sneak around to have sex, so can you."

I would rather my kids smoke pot than drink alcohol - but they aren't doing either in my home as long as it's not legal for them to do so.
Smithie is offline  
#85 of 107 Old 08-08-2010, 04:04 PM
 
EdnaMarie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 6,148
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smithie View Post
"Her idea was, she had to smoke in the woods, we could too."

Heh. With my mom, it was "I had to sneak around to have sex, so can you."

I would rather my kids smoke pot than drink alcohol - but they aren't doing either in my home as long as it's not legal for them to do so.
I dunno, something tells me it's the lack of brain-scan evidence on potheads because who would admit it, that makes me more partial to pot. The brain scans on binge-drinking teens are awful... even if it's once weekly or twice monthly, you can SEE the dents! I don't know which is worse, but my guess is, the damage is probably proportional to how intoxicated you feel.

It's not that the stay-at-home-parent gets to stay home with the kids. The kids get to stay home with a parent. Lucky Mom to DD1 (4 y) and DD2 (18 mo), Wife to Mercenary Dad
EdnaMarie is offline  
#86 of 107 Old 08-08-2010, 04:09 PM
 
imagine21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Sonoma County, CA
Posts: 474
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdnaMarie View Post
Can I ask whether this is really relevant?
I say that it is relevant because the poster made an assertion that deserves scrutiny. I really would like to look at the studies that she cited. Oh, wait, she didn't cite any. I included my reference so that people can read and make decisions from an informed position.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdnaMarie View Post
I mean, if it was "only" half as bad as tobacco, would that be okay? Obviously, marijuana is harmful to some degree for everyone, but it has its benefits for some others, and that's it's very addictive for some, though not others. Like certain otc painkillers, for that matter. But those are legal.
Again, please cite references. If marijuana is "[obviously] harmful to some degree for everyone" I will have to assume that that is just your opinion unless you give me some scientific study that takes "everyone" into consideration. You're welcome to make blanket statements, but you have to expect to get called on them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdnaMarie View Post
Marijuana is illegal, and if you get caught, nobody cares how harmful it is for you. The point is, if you have a certain amount, you can get charged with intent to distribute! I mean... I don't know about YOU all, but that is the reason *I* don't smoke regularly, and though I have had a joint once and again, never will have it in my house and never will be in a place where I think I could get caught.
Marijuana is not illegal in all places.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdnaMarie View Post
Why ruin your whole future for a little high? I mean really. I can vote pro-legalization without risking my own future and criminal record.
Since marijuana is not illegal in all places, not everyone is subject to the ruination of their future for a little high. In addition, I am far more concerned with the consequences of legal prescription drugs than marijuana both for individuals and for the harmful effects they have on the health of society as a whole.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdnaMarie View Post
The point is, the OP doesn't like it, it's illegal, so what should she do?
Each kid is different and since I don't know her son personally, I can only give her the advise that I have in previous posts edited here for brevity...for some kids it's a problem, for some it's not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdnaMarie View Post
I don't think you're going to turn her into a pot civil liberties crusader on behalf of her son on this thread, so what's the point?
Well, I was giving the OP my advice from my experience, as a parent of a teenager, a high school teacher for 17 years and a regular pot smoker for almost 30 years. No one is trying to turn anyone into a crusader. In fact, I am not crusading either. I am a well educated, conscientious person who makes decisions based on both empirical evidence and research. Asking someone who makes a statement about the studies that she has read to cite those studies is a reasonable request for one who is interested in responsible decision making. Sorry that you didn't see it that way.
imagine21 is offline  
#87 of 107 Old 08-08-2010, 04:26 PM
ssh
 
ssh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,716
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
In some places being caught with a small quantity of pot, less than an ounce, will get you a ticket or nothing. It's a petty offense in some places, no offense or a misdemeanor in others. In some states any amount is a prison sentence. So how I would react to finding out my teen is using pot would be different depending on where we lived. Teenagers and young adults are basically going to do what they are going to do. It's a time of developing personal values and asserting independence. The main concern would be staying safe. Some people here have had a "not in my home" stance and having your teen carrying pot on their person and using it out in public is much riskier legally than in the privacy of their own bedroom.

As a physical and mental health issue, I would be alot more concerned finding out my teen had vodka or cigarettes than a small quantity of pot. But I've had relatives die of lung disease and emphysema. Also I've had a cousin die from liver failure at age 30 and known too many alcoholics.
ssh is offline  
#88 of 107 Old 08-08-2010, 04:51 PM
 
EdnaMarie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 6,148
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagine21 View Post


Again, please cite references. If marijuana is "[obviously] harmful to some degree for everyone" I will have to assume that that is just your opinion unless you give me some scientific study that takes "everyone" into consideration. You're welcome to make blanket statements, but you have to expect to get called on them.
http://cyber.law.harvard.edu/evidenc.../Health_1.html

Quote:
Marijuana is not illegal in all places.
Okay, is she posting from Amsterdam? B.C.? Recreational marijuana use is illegal in most of the US, Europe, and Canada.


Quote:
n addition, I am far more concerned with the consequences of legal prescription drugs than marijuana both for individuals and for the harmful effects they have on the health of society as a whole.
She's not asking about that, though.



Quote:
Each kid is different
Okay, let me rephrase my answer. If I were black, I'd be furious and afraid, and if I were white, I'd probably just be furious. Because the law is supposed to apply to all equally. I don't care what this kid is like--they won't know until he's older whether he's the type to get addicted or to go further or who his dealer was. He is still screwed if he gets caught. We're all (supposed to be) equal under the law. It's not like the law says, "If you will probably go on to worse drugs or if you get really high with pot, then it's a felony, otherwise... meh, misdemeanor, whatever."

Quote:
.for some kids it's a problem, for some it's not.
A felony conviction is a problem for everybody, and if you have enough on you to get "intent to distribute", that's what you get! So you weren't planning on becoming a cokehead and you didn't get cancer? Tough titties, it's still a felony!

I'm not saying she should forbid her kid from using. (Not sure if you read my first post.) I'm saying, no freaking way would I have it in my house, and I'm not having ANYONE in my house that brings that junk in. The last thing I need is illegal stuff in my house.

Quote:
In fact, I am not crusading either. I am a well educated, conscientious person who makes decisions based on both empirical evidence and research. Asking someone who makes a statement about the studies that she has read to cite those studies is a reasonable request for one who is interested in responsible decision making. Sorry that you didn't see it that way.
I was actually more referring to the entire debate, not your posts in particular. Too lazy for multi-quote, sorry!

It's not that the stay-at-home-parent gets to stay home with the kids. The kids get to stay home with a parent. Lucky Mom to DD1 (4 y) and DD2 (18 mo), Wife to Mercenary Dad
EdnaMarie is offline  
#89 of 107 Old 08-08-2010, 05:09 PM
 
MusicianDad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Tuponia
Posts: 10,838
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I don't think anyone in the debate wants to turn anyone into a crusader. Me personally? I'm just against pot being illegal, and against the propagation of marijuana myths that put it on the same level as hard drugs. It's not like I'm Marc Emery or anything.

malesling.GIFMutant Papa to DD (12)hippie.gif and DS (2)babyf.gif, married to DHribbonrainbow.gif
If it looks like I'm trying to pick a fight... I'm not, I'm rarely that obvious.hammer.gif
MusicianDad is offline  
#90 of 107 Old 08-08-2010, 05:21 PM
 
Storm Bride's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 27,300
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancynance View Post
Okay - I'm the original poster and I have one more question to throw out there. Does anyone have any experience, either first hand or second, of whether or not pot smoking stunts your emotional/intellectual growth? I mean, my son is not yet 18 and I know the neural pathways in his brain are still developing. I don't want any substance to get in the way of him realizing his potential.
I smoked pot daily from about halfway through grade nine until a little after grad (so call it 14.5 to 18, almost exactly), and far less frequently for about another 2-3 years.

If there's been any stunting of my intellectual growth, nobody has ever noticed it. I placed in the top 10% in Canada in a math competition (wrote the tests at lunch time, and had been smoking pot earlier in the day for at least half of them). I also pulled 100% on tests on multiple occasions, both while stoned and when not stoned, but during my years as a fairly heavy smoker. My intelligence and intellectual capabilities suffered no impairment that was noticeable to me or anyone else. (I can't claim that means there was absolutely no impairment...maybe I'd be a fraction more intelligent if I'd never smoked, but I'll never know. There was no noticeable or practical impairment.)

Emotional? It's hard to pin down. I've struggled with depression since puberty, which is probably why I started smoking so heavily in the first place. The only noticeable effects pot had on my emotional development were that 1) I stopped punching people out when I lost my cool, because I stopped losing my cool (I suffered from pretty severe PMS in my preteens/early teens and lashed out physically at the various bullies I encountered), and 2) I didn't end up slitting my wrists. If it had any other effects, they weren't/aren't noticeable to me or to those close to me. I was definitely a little more...stupified...during my smoking years than I would have been without the pot, but considering my general emotional state at the time, that's not really a bad thing, imo. There were no noticeable long-term effects.

I knew a lot of pot smokers, and some of them had very heavy habits. Very, very few of them had any noticeable long-term effects from it, and those one were...one of them was smoking an eighth of an ounce daily at 15. That's heavy use, yk?

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

Storm Bride is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Drag and Drop File Upload
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off