9 year old getting period??? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 42 Old 07-15-2010, 02:54 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kittywitty View Post
If it makes you feel better, us flat chested chicks were jealous. I was SO flat forever. Still don't have much in that department. (Unless pg)
I was a 36D in 7th grade (confirmed by Victoria's Secret measuring me) and a DD in high school (even when I had lost weight!) I have always been jealous women with moderate (or even small) boobs!

Kas (24), Helpmeet to Stefan (25), Mom to Franklin Gaudelio 4/15/09, Jonathan Boswell 1/2/11
#32 of 42 Old 07-15-2010, 02:55 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
I didn't get boobs until a couple of years after I got my period
If this is how you developed, then it could be how she's hardwired and nothing wrong at all. It's unusual but since it's how your body worked there is a good chance it's how she works too.

Quote:
I'll try not to derail your thread . I am curious, though, for those of you who started your period that early, did your growth slow down afterward?
I was pretty average starting at 12 and was fully grown by 13. My DD is 13 and still hasn't started. I know DH and his 3 sisters all continued growing until 16 or 17 (though the girls did tell me they started period at an average 12-ish.) DD is thrilled because she was always the short one and now she's surpassing everyone lol.

Married mom of two, DD 17 and DS 13.
#33 of 42 Old 07-15-2010, 03:00 PM

I started my period at 9. I don't really remember too much stuff going on before that. Shortly there after I got massive armpit hair (which I disliked then and love now).
#34 of 42 Old 07-18-2010, 12:08 PM

I think you are handling this really well with her :

As for growth, I got my period at 10.5, I was probably 5'1". I grew 6 more inches before Christmas, so in 7-8 months, then I pretty much stopped. I feel that my puberty did stunt my growth since everyone else in my family is closer to 6", but I think it has more to do with how FAST I went through puberty, because I also went from mild AA bumps to D cup in that grade, and my hips too, I have stretch marks all over. I just went through the whole process so fast it was crazy!

My dd is 10.5 right now, and has a tiny bit of leg hair coming in , and her nipples are just a little raised, her hips are starting to get a little more shaped. she is *very* open so I get updates all the time, including working on masturbation being a little more private. I love our relationship and I feel so lucky that she trusts me this much.

I think what helps at this ageish - the late 8's to 11's, is being present, learning her big girly moment cues, as opposed to the playing baby dolls or legos or whatever your child likes. I just go sit by her and stroke her hair or whatever, and for my daughter, it's ok to say, 'hey look, you've got a little leg hair coming in' or something like that to get our conversations in those directions started, or sometimes she will come to me first. I have found that being quiet for a few minutes is ok, it gives her time to think of questions.

I have no idea if any of this is helpful, but I hope so

Heather, mama to Harriet, Crispin, in with Tom and 2
#35 of 42 Old 07-18-2010, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFWife View Post
I was a 36D in 7th grade (confirmed by Victoria's Secret measuring me) and a DD in high school (even when I had lost weight!) I have always been jealous women with moderate (or even small) boobs!
ME too!!! I was a 32DDD by 9th grade, and now I'm a F. I even lost weight, like 40 lbs, and I still have the dang boobs. I was so hopeful they would go down to like in the D DD range so I could og buy some normal bras, but nope, I lost 1 cup!

Sorry to derail. I agree that it's likely that if your breasts and other signs came later than that can be normal for your dd. there are typical patterns but that doesn't mean atypical is unhealthy or warrants a doctor visit. In fact, my periods were heavy to the point that I regularly would gush through my clothes and my school wouldn't let me come back until my mom took m to the doctor to confirm I wasn't having a miscarriage for 3 months in a row despite my mom insisting this was normal family history for us and that they were turning something normal into an abnormal experience for me. I made it all through 6th grade with no one bothering me and then it was the junior high secretary who went bonzo on this, so at 12 I was in stirrups for a complete pelvic 3 months in a row. Unless she has too much pain, or gets signs of anemia or some other concerning sign other than that she is young and you didn't quite expect it, I think it may be ok to just let it be normal! I out grew the crazy heavies after a few years and never had any signs of anemia. Each family has its tendencies and it sounds like you and your dd have things going well.

Heather, mama to Harriet, Crispin, in with Tom and 2
#36 of 42 Old 07-28-2010, 09:37 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Well...it's puberty. I saw the other day she has tons more leg hair and she is definitely getting underarm hair. It's so darn light and fine it took just the right angle and I saw it. My baby is becoming a big girl.

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

#37 of 42 Old 08-09-2010, 08:50 PM

I started at age 11, and I had noticed changes in me as early as age 9. I don't think it is abnormal to start that early, my mom started at age 10. I am pretty short, and definitely stopped growing upwards at about age 12 or 13. I didn't get actual boobies until I was 19 or so, and didn't get actually curvy until my mid twenties! LOL

Congrats to you and your little woman! :-) Cheers!

Mom to three boys 7/7/00 fencing.gif 11/20/02 and 10/29/2011 luxlove.gif

Writing at: http://paisleymama.blogspot.com/ and other places! 

#38 of 42 Old 08-11-2010, 01:27 AM

Oh wow, this thread is making me want to cry. I really hope my dd follows in my footsteps and doesn't hit puberty until she's 12, because I just cannot believe that in 1.5 years she could be on the road to womanhood. That's too soon! Maybe I'll stop feeding her.

Mommy to kids

#39 of 42 Old 08-11-2010, 11:27 AM - Thread Starter

I talked to my mom and she went through her old journals. Apparently she was wrong about when she got her period. She was about 9. Almost 10. She thought it was when she lived with her mom but apparently it went away for awhile and came back.

And now I am also totally freaking out about environmental estrogens. The only organic milk around here is Horizons and it's extremely expensive. Our regular milk is artificial hormone free (or so it claims) but seeing how she is anemic, vegetarian, and has trouble getting enough calcium already with her diet, I can't cut milk out and can not afford all organic. So that's freaking me out.

#40 of 42 Old 08-11-2010, 07:02 PM

Quote:
... but seeing how she is anemic, vegetarian, and has trouble getting enough calcium already with her diet, I can't cut milk out and can not afford all organic. So that's freaking me out.
Is she iron anemic? Has her dr suggested anything to rectify the situation -- supplements or other? Milk actually tends to be worse for anemia and, at best, certainly doesn't help correct anemia. I'd see that anemia and the need for calcium as two separate issues.

Could you try calcium fortified OJ or even those calcium chews? There are a lot of vegetarian sources of iron. My girls like black strap mollasses drizzled on their PB on tortillas or toast. Depending on how open she is to green leafy veggies, some of those are also good sources of iron. Perhaps try posting in the vegetarian nutrition part of MDC to see if you get any other ideas.

In re to it being the milk, though, it probably isn't something you're going to know for sure. There are all kinds of things that are correlated with earlier puberty even things one wouldn't expect like having been a low birth weight or preterm baby.
#41 of 42 Old 08-11-2010, 08:35 PM - Thread Starter

Well, she was 8lbs. 1 oz and born naturally on her due date, so I don't think that's an issue!

She has become such a picky eater lately, I try the OJ but she doesn't like it and doesn't like molasses, so...

I have not had her tested, but she has signs of anemia and won't eat almost anything with iron or protein in it. I hope she snaps out of this picky eating thing soon!

#42 of 42 Old 08-11-2010, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Thanks! I have the "It's Not the Stork" book. At first I thought it was a UTI. She said it hurt to pee and there was a tiny smidgen of blood. But it's getting to be a lot more now and there's no blood in her urine and her urine is clear.
I don't remember having pain when I pee when I got my period, but then again is being quit long, ha.
I agree with the moms that advice having a talk to your daughter about what to expect and why.
I also recommend you to get some pads (the light ones) and have them for when the time comes. I when I got mine and my mom wanted to do something "special" and took me to buy many pads so I could try them on and find which one I liked more. Now I think it was a very nice touch but back then I was soo embarrassed

SAHM, married to my geeky husband and mom of 12 year old girl and 2year old

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page