How to treat zits? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 27 Old 08-10-2010, 10:59 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My son will be 10 in January and he has just started getting zits. Right now he has a big, and yucky looking, one on his forehead. It is upsetting him and he doesn't want people to see it. I know there are lots of treatments for zits but I don't really like the idea of putting harsh chemicals on his face at such a young age. Any ideas of treating zits more naturally?

Also, is it normal to get zits at 9.5???

Shawna, married to Michael, mommy to Elijah 1/18/01, Olivia 11/9/02, and Eliana 1/22/06
#2 of 27 Old 08-10-2010, 11:14 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
We use tea tree oil on a cotton swab. Usually at night because the smell is too powerful to wear to school.
#3 of 27 Old 08-10-2010, 11:24 AM

My son isn't much older and a couple of breakouts this summer.

I put a small bit of toothpaste (mint) on it at night. It doesn't get rid of it overnight, but it does get rid of it over 2-3 nights. He doesn't use anything during the day.

Some people say that DHA can help regulate the hormones that can cause acne. Maybe a fish oil supplement?

My dd and I both use honey to wash our faces -- I've never really been acne-prone and have used honey for years -- I have heard honey's antibacterial properties help with acne.

I've also heard moms using TTO at night, like PP said. Might be worth a try.

Joy, mama to Aquaboy (10), Goldilocks (8), Squidge (4)
#4 of 27 Old 08-10-2010, 11:50 AM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
10 year old boys aren't know for having the best hygiene. In addition to treating the zits, I'd worked on how to wash his face and what to wash his face with. Just getting my kids to wash their faces every night at that age was tricky!

I don't like harsh chemicals either and I don't think they help with acne (they just irritate my skin).

I did resort to getting face wash that came on towlettes because my DDs would actually use them (I know, they are bad for the environment and over priced).

but everything has pros and cons  shrug.gif

#5 of 27 Old 08-10-2010, 12:05 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Get them their own washcloth and face towel that no one else uses. No soap on the face. Wash hair more often for zits that occur near the hair line. Keep hands and fingernails clean and way from the face. Some people are just prone to zits. And some just don't get them or only 1-2 a year. My mom, my sisters, my dh, and one of my dds all have adult acne. Some otc products help them, other don't. My mom and dh both went to a dermatologist (different ones) for help as adults. Possibly, Angela did as well. Both as a teen and as an adult, I very seldom got acne. Usually at the hair line if I've put off washing my hair too long (3 weeks; I wash my hair, on average, once a week-- 2 weeks in the winter, twice a week in the summer)

Chris--extended breastfeeding, cloth diapering, babywearing, co-sleeping, APing, CLW, homeschooling before any of this was a trend mom to Joy (1/78), Erica (8/80), Angela (9/84), Dylan (2/98)
#6 of 27 Old 08-10-2010, 12:50 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
I admit, when it comes to zits, we forgo the "more naturally." We give to the zit creams and washes because they work (for us) and it's just such a hit on their self-esteem to have zits.

My DD 13 is going through an extremely greasy stage. A few weeks ago she got a couple pimples and the skin on and around her nose was sorta wierd and bumpy. It looked as if she were going to start a full fledged acne break-out but we seem to have nipped it in the bud for the time being. I bought her some nuetrogena acne face wash to use daily and an apricot scrub to use once a week. When she sees the start of a zit, she uses a nuetrogena cream on that spot. I noticed this week her complextion has been perfect and no more greasy looking. I think it also helped that we found a good anti-grease shampoo for her too. She'd wash her hair every morning and by noon, it looked like she hadn't washed in a week. I know it was not helping with the forhead zits! The new stuff keeps it under control.

For a 9-year-old, you might try Citicil products. They are extremely gentle washes. I know they have some acne stuff but the wash itself is "soap free" which I've heard is best for acne.

Married mom of two, DD 17 and DS 13.
#7 of 27 Old 08-10-2010, 05:36 PM

for emergencies, you might see if you can find a place that has a zit zapper (I don't know the real word). There was a spa near where we used to live that that this device that zapped zits. It stung for just a second and it smelled like bugs hitting a bug light (I know, I know, its gross and unnatural) BUT the thing really worked.

By the time we paid and were walking out, DDs zits all looked less angry and by the next morning were barely little red spots (they were pretty big and infected before we went -- autism and puberty don't mix).

#8 of 27 Old 08-10-2010, 05:42 PM

Neosporin works on my own zits!

I vaguely remember that TTO is supposed to be a bad idea for boys.
#9 of 27 Old 08-10-2010, 05:49 PM

the best thing I have done for my acne (which I have had since age 10 and quickly became a whole face thing) is switch to just using dr bronners liquid castille soap and using a bit of olive oil as a moisturizer.

I currently use peppermint because I love the tingle, but tea tree oil is great for acne (I sometimes use tto as a spot treatment) so I'm sure the tto dr bronner's would be just as great. I'd also prefer to use coconut oil instead of olive oil but the smell of coconut absolutely disgusts my husband (he couldn't really hold our kiddo when I used it on her as a newborn, thats how bad it is for him) so I use olive oil instead to be kind to him (and me bahaha)

I also recommend giving him a talk about touching his face with dirty hands as well as how the oil in hair can cause acne as well. He doesn't need to over do washing his hair, but showering regularly along with regular face washing can help. I also recommend letting him use a clean pillow case more often. some cheap cotton pillow cases are easy to switch out as often as he would like and don't add to the laundry much.

I've tried tons of acne cleansers including proactive but just going all natural has been the best thing for my skin.
#10 of 27 Old 08-10-2010, 05:56 PM

I'll add this: changing the pillowcase more often (every couple of days) helps my son.

You don’t owe them an explanation, just a response.
#11 of 27 Old 08-10-2010, 09:23 PM

super lysine plus works an so does some t tree oil

cold.gifme + headscratch.gif him and one littlecat.gifPaco the Taco hoping for one of these  makebabe.gifin the near future

#12 of 27 Old 08-10-2010, 10:01 PM

plain old zinc oxide! and the tube lasts forever. best thing ever.
#13 of 27 Old 08-11-2010, 12:27 AM

I was reading through this and had a weird flash of My Big Fat Greek Wedding. "Just put some Windex on it"

#14 of 27 Old 08-11-2010, 10:57 AM

We tried everything organic in the natural foods store, but nothing helped. Finally products our doctor suggested are working. A benozyl peroxide cream and an anti bacterial wash.
#15 of 27 Old 08-11-2010, 04:35 PM

I can't use chemicals on my face or in my hair - at all. The chemicals make my skin so terrible.

I would try different things, but only as much as he cares. If he doesn't seem to care I wouldn't push it - when my mom pushed it with me I hated it!
#16 of 27 Old 08-11-2010, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatsnextmom View Post
I admit, when it comes to zits, we forgo the "more naturally." We give to the zit creams and washes because they work (for us) and it's just such a hit on their self-esteem to have zits.

My DD 13 is going through an extremely greasy stage. A few weeks ago she got a couple pimples and the skin on and around her nose was sorta wierd and bumpy. It looked as if she were going to start a full fledged acne break-out but we seem to have nipped it in the bud for the time being. I bought her some nuetrogena acne face wash to use daily and an apricot scrub to use once a week. When she sees the start of a zit, she uses a nuetrogena cream on that spot. I noticed this week her complextion has been perfect and no more greasy looking. I think it also helped that we found a good anti-grease shampoo for her too. She'd wash her hair every morning and by noon, it looked like she hadn't washed in a week. I know it was not helping with the forhead zits! The new stuff keeps it under control.

For a 9-year-old, you might try Citicil products. They are extremely gentle washes. I know they have some acne stuff but the wash itself is "soap free" which I've heard is best for acne.
I have to agree. As someone who had great skin in high school but zits in my twenties, I remember how horrified I was and I already was on my own two feet!

The only thing that worked for me was benozyl peroxide. I think hygiene and the other recommendations would be best tried first, but for a teen with a lot of zits, a no-soap, sterile washcloth and b.p. can do wonders.

It's not that the stay-at-home-parent gets to stay home with the kids. The kids get to stay home with a parent. Lucky Mom to DD1 (4 y) and DD2 (18 mo), Wife to Mercenary Dad
#17 of 27 Old 08-11-2010, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda on the move View Post
I was reading through this and had a weird flash of My Big Fat Greek Wedding. "Just put some Windex on it"
You made me smile tonight. That was so great.

It's not that the stay-at-home-parent gets to stay home with the kids. The kids get to stay home with a parent. Lucky Mom to DD1 (4 y) and DD2 (18 mo), Wife to Mercenary Dad
#18 of 27 Old 08-11-2010, 10:22 PM

[QUOTE=EdnaMarie;15725454]
The only thing that worked for me was benozyl peroxide QUOTE]

Yes that is what I meant before in my post and not zinc oxide!
#19 of 27 Old 08-11-2010, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatsnextmom View Post
I I think it also helped that we found a good anti-grease shampoo for her too.
Can you share? What shampoo did you find? We're having greasy hair issues here!
#20 of 27 Old 08-11-2010, 11:26 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Can you share? What shampoo did you find? We're having greasy hair issues here!
It's called Aussie Cleanse and Mend. I will say that DD's hair doesn't have quite as much body using this shampoo and conditioner but it's really made a big difference on the grease. She can get to the end of the day without it looking oily. Even the next morning is still looks good.

Married mom of two, DD 17 and DS 13.
#21 of 27 Old 08-17-2010, 10:33 AM

We use witch hazel. It's natural, and it works really well. The smell goes away as it evaporates. It's also great for irritated skin, and bug bites.

Wife om.gif mamaluxlove.gif to five And citizen of Earthearth.gif
#22 of 27 Old 08-17-2010, 11:59 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tri31 View Post
We use witch hazel. It's natural, and it works really well. The smell goes away as it evaporates. It's also great for irritated skin, and bug bites.
I use witch hazel as a toner. It seems to work really well.
#23 of 27 Old 08-22-2010, 06:17 PM

I can't believe I didn't see anyone post anything about dairy. Cutting dairy has helped my adult acne. I get terrible cystic acne if I eat dairy. If he is a big milk drinker/cheese eater, could be the culprit. It is the hormones in the milk, even if it is organic, there are lots of hormones.

Before I cut dairy, I tried all the natural stuff, while tto was ok it could not hold its on against benzoyl peroxide and from all I have read since it does not absorb into the skin/bloodstream like salicylic acid, which is another typical treatment.

Note: I can have little bits of dairy, like some chocolate or a small dessert made with butter, but if I eat more than a bite of ice cream or pizza or anything cheesy w/in 24hrs its terrible!!!
#24 of 27 Old 08-27-2010, 08:44 AM

Quote:

Cracked me up. I can't offer advice. I still struggle with zits as an adult. Not full blown acne but I almost always have a couple a zits on my face. I have tried lots of things over the years. After dd1, it was bad and I went to a dermatologist and got some prescripion cream .I had to stop when I got preggo again. Now we live in a differect place and I am trying some other products and trying to better my diet again before I go the professional route. Plus still nursing dd2 and so teh horomones are not exaclty normalized.

As a teen I had cysts on my face I had to go get lanced at the docs. It hurt alot. So I will be looking here to see what works. I have some tto, I should be more consistent with that maybe.

Mamma to dd1 3/8/07, one 9.5.08, and dd2 9/9/09
#25 of 27 Old 08-28-2010, 04:10 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
That is hilarious because my husband is Greek and his family it TOTALLY just like the movie!!!

Shawna, married to Michael, mommy to Elijah 1/18/01, Olivia 11/9/02, and Eliana 1/22/06
#26 of 27 Old 08-28-2010, 04:10 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lineymom View Post
I can't believe I didn't see anyone post anything about dairy. Cutting dairy has helped my adult acne. I get terrible cystic acne if I eat dairy. If he is a big milk drinker/cheese eater, could be the culprit. It is the hormones in the milk, even if it is organic, there are lots of hormones.

Before I cut dairy, I tried all the natural stuff, while tto was ok it could not hold its on against benzoyl peroxide and from all I have read since it does not absorb into the skin/bloodstream like salicylic acid, which is another typical treatment.

Note: I can have little bits of dairy, like some chocolate or a small dessert made with butter, but if I eat more than a bite of ice cream or pizza or anything cheesy w/in 24hrs its terrible!!!
My son is actually dairy (and gluten) free but thanks for the tip!

#27 of 27 Old 09-01-2010, 12:28 PM

Honey.
Honey is AMAZING.
Better than anything I have ever used. I put a little bit on and rub it in to sorta exfoliate a bit and leave it for 5-10 minutes before washing it off. Right before a shower is easiest. I believe there is a big thread on this in health or something. lol
Try it, oh and raw/uncooked honey.

Mama to Belly(5), homesteading in the desert with our chickens and sheep. Fish nerd, really into my reef tank. Baby due Sep 3rd!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page