Forum Jump: 

#31 of 54 Old 08-15-2010, 12:06 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by eclipse View Post
I was 12. Maybe even 11.
Me too, I think it was closer to 11 and I was 5'6" like I am now! I also started my period at 11 and I do remember reading that that will often stop or slow upward growth (not outward unfortunately )
#32 of 54 Old 08-15-2010, 02:15 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
It really depends on the child. Generally girls won't stop growing in height until they've gone through puberty, but of course there's lots of individual variation. Her feet could be done growing long before the rest of her, or she might grow another few shoe sizes.

A friend's child was fully grown by age 12 (she looked 16-17 when she was 12.) I stopped growing at 16. In all cases I know about, a prepubescent girl grew at least a few more inches in height by the time she finished getting hips and boobs.

My 15yo seems to be fully grown- she hasn't grown in height or bra size in over a year. My 14yo is still growing in both directions (up and "out," in a "girl growing into a woman" way.)

From what you've described about your daughter, I would guess that she'll end up taller than you, but only time will tell for certain.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18, and Jack, 12
#33 of 54 Old 08-15-2010, 02:36 PM

I REALLY depends. I thought I stopped growing at 14 (got my period at 11), but then sometime in my senior year or soon after I gained almost another inch out of the blue.
#34 of 54 Old 08-15-2010, 02:52 PM

I think most growing is done when menstruation starts. There might be another inch to come over the next few years but I would not count on it.

I measured 5'8" until a LLL meeting in my thirties after my 3rd child was born. On a silly whim we measured ourselves and I am now almost 5''9" according to these wise women.

My oldest daughter is 11, no where near puberty yet, wears a size 8 shoe, weighs 84#, and is a little over 5'1" -this is subject to change at any moment. I am not tall for our family.

eta: bandgeek and I have different experiences don't we? It goes to show you that it is hard to say.

You don’t owe them an explanation, just a response.
#35 of 54 Old 08-15-2010, 02:56 PM

I stopped at 13 (when I started drinking coffee), but I also grew a half inch (verified by medical records, amazingly) at 19. That was odd! And I was still drinking coffee at that time.

It's not that the stay-at-home-parent gets to stay home with the kids. The kids get to stay home with a parent. Lucky Mom to DD1 (4 y) and DD2 (18 mo), Wife to Mercenary Dad
#36 of 54 Old 08-18-2010, 11:07 PM

i kept growing until i was about 18. very slowly, but i was still adding to my final 5'9" then. however, i didn't start my period until i was about 14-5 years old, so that might definitely have something to do with it.
#37 of 54 Old 08-29-2010, 11:15 PM

I was about 5'7" when I started menstruating (age 12). When I graduated high school I was 5'10" and my sister (four years younger) was taller than me. When she graduated college I was taller than her (go figure).

Some of the difference may have been postural. I stopped slouching so much in college (I got more confident and hung out with tall people). But I'm pretty sure I gained one last inch around my 21st birthday.

Which is a long way of saying it depends on genetics. The women on my mom's side of the family all grew early and then put on another inch or so around age 20. I take after them. My dad's side of the family grew later but stopped shortly after menarche (which happened later). My sister takes after that side.
#38 of 54 Old 09-18-2010, 12:08 PM

I started af at 9, and have been 5'2 since 14..my DD is 9 and already 4'11..DH family is all tall (hes actualy the shortest at 5'10) and my family all pretty short 5'6 is about average for the females of the family. I was notifed yesterday by DS that I am the size of a 4th grader lol

"I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not."- Kurt Cobain
#39 of 54 Old 09-18-2010, 12:18 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by aslyn View Post
...and my family all pretty short 5'6 is about average for the females of the family.
5' is about average for females in my family. Other than me, the family giant at 5'4", the women all range from 4'10" to 5'2" in my family.

For the time being, dd's growth spurt seems to have slowed down and she's holding steady at 5'2" and about 85 lbs.
#40 of 54 Old 09-18-2010, 12:32 PM

8th grade is when all the girls in my family stop growing.
#41 of 54 Old 09-18-2010, 12:43 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
I grew over an inch in my senior year of high school, so at 17.

My advice may not be appropriate for you. That's ok. You are just fine how you are and I am the right kind of me.

#42 of 54 Old 09-23-2010, 05:24 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kushali View Post
I was about 5'7" when I started menstruating (age 12). When I graduated high school I was 5'10" ...
This sounds similar to me, except that I didn't keep growing after high school. I'm just under 5'10".

My 10yo is now 5'2" tall and weighs 120 lbs. The doctor said she is in "stage 2" of puberty since she has beginning breasts and pubic hair. She had a small spot of blood from her vagina a few months back but still hasn't started menstruating.

When I told her that I only grew about 2-3 inches after starting my period, she became quite upset and went from wanting to start "yesterday" to wanting to hold off for a while so she can get taller than me.

Back when she was a toddler, I used some chart to calculate her prospective height and it showed her final height as about 6'3" tall, and she has always been thrilled to be so tall, and has looked forward to getting taller than me. She is very upset at the thought of just being "average" height.

I am thrilled that she's always loved being a tall girl. I hated being tall when I was a kid, and used to worry that I'd never stop growing and would end up being 8 feet tall or something. But, at the same time, I don't understand why she's so negative about the thought of being medium height or even shorter than average.

I guess she's just so used to perceiving herself as "the tallest" in her group. Many of her friends just come to about her shoulders.

Susan -- married unschoolin' WAHMomma to two lovely girls (born 2000 and 2005).
#43 of 54 Old 09-11-2012, 08:12 PM

I am 5'1 and I stopped growing pretty much at 12, started my period at around 11. My daughter was 4'8" in the 6th grade, but grew 6 inches in 1 year!! She started her period at age 13 and basically stopped growing, she is about 5'2" 1/2". My son is 18 and is at about 5'7". My husband is 5' 9" and his mother was very short. I used the growth formulas and they were pretty much accurate as far as my kids were concerned. My daughter seems to have stopped growing but I think my son will grow another inch or two.  BTW..my stepmother grew 4 inches at age 19, so not all girls stop growing when they start their periods. And I have read that boys can grow till age 25.

#44 of 54 Old 09-11-2012, 08:16 PM

I am 5'1 and I stopped growing pretty much at 12, started my period at around 11. My daughter was 4'8" in the 6th grade, but grew 6 inches in 1 year!! She started her period at age 13 and basically stopped growing, she is about 5'2" 1/2". My son is 18 and is at about 5'7". My husband is 5' 9" and his mother was very short. I used the growth formulas and they were pretty much accurate as far as my kids were concerned. My daughter seems to have stopped growing but I think my son will grow another inch or two.  BTW..my stepmother grew 4 inches at age 19, so not all girls stop growing when they start their periods. And I have read that boys can grow till age 25.

#45 of 54 Old 09-11-2012, 08:37 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I grew 1.5 inches after high school. Started my period when I was 15.

SAHM to Chloe«- 6/2008 (10 lbs, 5 oz), Hannah- 9/2010 (9 lbs, 12 oz), Liam- 2/2013 (9 lbs, 6 oz)

#46 of 54 Old 09-11-2012, 11:45 PM

Mammal_mama, my DD has been the same--always the tallest and enjoying it immensely, and has been off the charts for height her whole life.

At 10 years old she is 5'4" and 100lbs.  She started her period at the beginning of summer, and while she is not having 4" growth spurts all at once anymore, in looking at her feet and hands I think she probably has another few inches in her.  She's already taller than me, DH's sister, and DH's mom (I don't have any real info on my bio family other than birthparents who were both quite short, she's taller than the heights I have on record for them too).  All of the "predictors" had her at 5'11" to 6'+ but I really don't see that happening.  I think she'll be around 5'6" or maybe if she's lucky 5'7", which is pretty incredible since right now she is the tallest female in the entire extended family.

#47 of 54 Old 09-12-2012, 05:56 AM - Thread Starter

Wow, this is an old thread!  FWIW, dd just turned 14 and has gotten taller than I would have expected.  She is 5'5.5".  Next to her dad, there is very little, if any height difference and she towers over all of the other women on both sides of the family.  My younger one, who will be 12 very soon, seems more destined for typical height in our family.  She's 4'7" at the moment, although I'm quite sure that she'll grow more.  She is still wearing a size 2.5 in children's shoes, though, so the smaller feet do lend toward me expecting that she won't grow as much as her sister did.

#48 of 54 Old 09-12-2012, 09:56 PM

Nothing wrong with being average height, much easier to find nice looking clothes  :)

#49 of 54 Old 09-17-2012, 10:49 AM

This is an old thread! I looked back and when my dd was almost 12 she was 5' 3.5".  She's now almost 14 and 5' 6.5" or a little more.  I don't think she's hit 5'7" yet.  People say she's caught my height until I stand up straight - I'm 5'8".  LOL  Her growth has definitely slowed.  She was about 4'10" at 10 turning 11, so 5.5 inches of growth for 2 years and now 3 inches of growth the next 2 years.  She started her period at 11, but then didn't have another until 12.5.  I don't think she is quite done growing yet. 

#50 of 54 Old 09-17-2012, 01:32 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doreen1956 View Post

Nothing wrong with being average height, much easier to find nice looking clothes  :)

I certainly don't think that dd minds.  She and I are proud of our status as the family "giants" lol although she has a lot of friends who are truly tall to keep her grounded in the fact that she isn't really tall.  I think that the only time it bothers her a bit is when she's vacationing with my mom's side of the family.  For instance, she was at the beach with my mom (5'), her younger sister (two years younger and 4'7") and her cousin (11 months younger and 4'11"-ish) this summer and I believe that she did feel a bit big compared to their tininess, but I believe that she's aware that they're the small ones in reality, not that she's actually really tall or big boned.  She's actually quite thin too.

#51 of 54 Old 10-01-2012, 07:41 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirzam View Post

My eldest DD, 20, is 5'8" and feels she stopped growing around 18/19. It was that final inch, she was 5'7" by 15. DD #2 will be thirteen at the end of September and is about 5'1'', (DD #1 was quite a bit taller at that age), and is in early puberty (I guess she is a late bloomer), and I am sure she has some growing left, but I doubt she will be as tall as her sister.

As this is an old thread I thought I would update my DDs' heights. At 22 DD #1 is 5'9' and at 15 (yesterday!) DD#2 is a couple of inches shorter than her big sis, so around 5'7" (still no period),

Rainbow.giftstillheart.gifsmile.gif

"If you find from your own experience that something is a fact and it contradicts what some authority has written down, then you must abandon the authority and base your reasoning on your own findings"~ Leonardo da Vinci

#52 of 54 Old 10-10-2012, 05:47 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristaN View Post

Wow, this is an old thread!  FWIW, dd just turned 14 and has gotten taller than I would have expected.  She is 5'5.5".  Next to her dad, there is very little, if any height difference and she towers over all of the other women on both sides of the family.  My younger one, who will be 12 very soon, seems more destined for typical height in our family.  She's 4'7" at the moment, although I'm quite sure that she'll grow more.  She is still wearing a size 2.5 in children's shoes, though, so the smaller feet do lend toward me expecting that she won't grow as much as her sister did.

well since we are on the subject...

i wonder 

about diet. does your older dd prefer and eats more protein than your younger dd?

it just might be genetics, but i wonder.

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
#53 of 54 Old 10-10-2012, 09:02 AM

I grew my last inch during my freshman year of College.

Do you rememberteapot2.GIF the feelingdizzy.gif you got dog2.gifwhen you could use as moon.gif manyread.gif stickers love.gif as cat.gifyou wool.gif wanted? 2whistle.gif thumb.gif  I have that now. namaste.gif Thanks for the smileys! lactivist.gif intactivist.gif

#54 of 54 Old 10-10-2012, 10:45 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by meemee View Post

well since we are on the subject...

i wonder 

about diet. does your older dd prefer and eats more protein than your younger dd?

it just might be genetics, but i wonder.

Not at all.  Dd12 eats entire cans of beans as a snack - lol!  Dd14 was vegan for the first few years of her life, then strict o/l veggie until about two years ago when she went vegan again and, while she eats tofu and various forms of protein (as does dd12), she probably eats less protein than her younger sister overall.  Dd12 was o/l veggie pretty much her whole life, was breastfed longer than dd14, has become vegan in the past year, and really eats a lot of high protein foods with frequency (loves tempeh, beans, seitan, etc.).  She's grown about four inches in the past year, but I suspect that's her hitting that growth spurt age more than anything.  I think that she's put on a little more height since my last post and may be 4'8" now.  I'm kind of expecting her to be similar in size to my mom (5') or maybe an inch or so taller.

Really dd14 and I are quite tall in our family.  She and I are the only two women for generations on either side of the family who are over 5'1".  Heck, she's even taller than her paternal grandfather by nearly two inches!  Unless vegan diets make you tall (I'm vegan too), which I truly don't think is supported by research, I'm just going with random recessive "tall" genes for the two of us.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page