Excuse her, she didn't mean that? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 08-15-2010, 12:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have a problem finding the right make up since I have a yellow-olive skin, I have end up buying many just to find out they don't match my skin tone.
So yesterday I went to saphora and ask if they could help me find my color and let me check it in the sun light. I guess my daughter didn't hear this part.
While the lady was putting the make up my 12 year old was taking care of the little one.
Almost when the lady was finish, my older daughter said:
I love this place, you get to use their make up without having to buy anything.
The lady gave me this look and I could do is give her the look of "excuse her, she didn't mean that.
Unfortunately, the make up she put on me didn't match my skin tone either so I didn't got it, I guess that didn't help. Ups!
Which one is your favorite: Excuse her, she didn't meant that?

SAHM, married to my geeky husband and mom of 12 year old girl and 2year old
#2 of 4 Old 08-15-2010, 01:11 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
LOL! I think I would just steer the conversation elsewhere.

I'm no expert, but it surprises me that they didn't have makeup to match your skin color. They should have tried at least a few colors until they found one to match.
#3 of 4 Old 08-16-2010, 02:28 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoetryLover View Post
LOL! I think I would just steer the conversation elsewhere.

I'm no expert, but it surprises me that they didn't have makeup to match your skin color. They should have tried at least a few colors until they found one to match.
This was the first time I went to a sales person for make up, I think maybe the problem is that maybe my neck and face has a different tone and even if she got close to my skin in my face it looked like a mask.
I try to steer the conversation but I saw my daughter touching an eye shadow and I just wanted to get out of there ASAP, lol.

SAHM, married to my geeky husband and mom of 12 year old girl and 2year old
#4 of 4 Old 08-16-2010, 10:50 PM

I don't know that her comment was that surprising. After all, what she saw was you trying their make-up on, and not buying.

Perhaps explain to her that if they had been able to match your tone, you WOULD have bought the product. But they couldn't, so you didn't. You didn't go in to just play "make-up salon", and the women who work there may well make part of their paycheck by selling products that they sample. So it's not polite to treat it as "play time".

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page