What kind of personal care products do your teenagers like? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 09-07-2010, 02:50 PM - Thread Starter

Location: Where creepy facebook-featured threads can't find me
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I am shopping for a local homeless shelter's Back to School drive. I was going to get my usual boring natural products but DH suggested some of the teenagers might like a stinky body wash or other random things I have no clue about. Anyone have any suggestions about what to buy?

It is a big, scary shelter on Skid Row with 170 (!) children currently living there.
#2 of 14 Old 09-07-2010, 06:50 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Axe products for guys are popular. I think they're hideous but I did buy ds the cheaper, Suave brand version of Axe deodorant and and the shampoo/conditioner. He loves them. Makes him feel manly. And fortunately for the rest of us he still doesn't bathe or use deodorant daily. I think Axe products would go over well. Though it might be like loud, noisy toys: the kids like it but the parents resent it.

Someone moved my effing cheese.
#3 of 14 Old 09-07-2010, 08:09 PM
2xy

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well, my kids aren't too mainstream, but they think Axe stuff is gross.

DS1 likes everything to be as unscented as possible, because he's mildly asthmatic and scented products make his chest tighten up. He does use Paul Mitchell Tea Tree shampoo, though. Nothing else keeps his scalp seborrhea-free. He has long hair and uses Infusium conditioner (it's really hard to find unscented conditioners! Even @ Whole Foods, everything is patchouli or sandalwood or something!)

DS2 likes Organix Tea Tree and Mint Shampoo. They both use plain ol' Dove unscented bar soap. DS1 uses Arm & Hammer unscented anti-perspirant and DS2 likes that nasty Right Guard with the "powerstrip."

I have no idea what kind of stuff their friends like. Most of their friends are sort of hippie-ish, anyway.
#4 of 14 Old 09-07-2010, 09:50 PM

My guys like Axe hair styling stuff & Tag body sprays. They like Clean & Clear face wash too. Dd likes any fruity or floral bath gel & body spray. She also likes berry smelling deodorant.
#5 of 14 Old 09-07-2010, 09:54 PM

My DDs love Biore face wash, they won't use anything else.
#6 of 14 Old 09-08-2010, 10:12 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Body Shop and Lush are favourites with DD and her friends. If you explained to the shops, perhaps they might make a donation??
#7 of 14 Old 09-09-2010, 12:34 AM

High end disposable razors. 4 or 5 blades with the waxy lubricant strip and the fat foamy handle.

They are what my 15 yo dd uses when we get home from camping for the summer.

The difference is that we choose to be away from home, but the kids who recieve our charity have to be homeless.

If you chose a small luxury in your life, would it actually cost $1.73 and come via Walmart with the potential of getting a snarky lecture from the food bank lady?

I've been observing the poverty game for a gazillion years. Everyone who gets one of those little luxuries deserves it.
#8 of 14 Old 09-09-2010, 01:27 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Everyone who gets one of those little luxuries deserves it.
Absolutely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bestjob View Post
If you chose a small luxury in your life, would it actually cost $1.73 and come via Walmart with the potential of getting a snarky lecture from the food bank lady?
I'm not sure what you're saying here. Can you clarify, please?

Someone moved my effing cheese.
#9 of 14 Old 09-09-2010, 02:25 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bestjob View Post

I've been observing the poverty game for a gazillion years. Everyone who gets one of those little luxuries deserves it.
Hugh? I am not sure I understand. I was actually trying to find something I teen might feel was a little luxurious.
#10 of 14 Old 09-09-2010, 02:26 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks all. I'll include some unscented basics in the mix because I am sure some people would appreciate them and also some stinky Axe for the boys who want to feel manly.
#11 of 14 Old 09-09-2010, 02:41 PM

My dd loves to have cans of foamy, berry scented, shaving gel. It's cheap, but it makes her feel wonderful.
#12 of 14 Old 11-19-2010, 08:24 AM

forum crashing here (sorry!)

What about foody scented shower gels and lotions for girls - like the ones that smell like vanilla cupcakes etc?

Leila, mama to Eleanor (10/08) and Emmett (4/10)

Visit my blog! www.rookblog.com

#13 of 14 Old 11-19-2010, 08:41 AM

Definintely Axe/Tag for guys and Bath and Body Works type stuff for the girls.  Razors and shave cream are a great idea too.  My kids like those Biore nose strips.  Right Guard deoderant with the Energy Stripe and some of the prettier scents from Secret/Dove/Degree.  Lip balms.  Not a personal care product but they also love gum like Orbit or Mentos.

#14 of 14 Old 01-20-2011, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JudiAU View Post

Thanks all. I'll include some unscented basics in the mix because I am sure some people would appreciate them and also some stinky Axe for the boys who want to feel manly.

On behalf of some of those receiving the gifts, I thank you for adding some unscented stuff. Living in poverty doesn't negate the affects of chemical sensitivities.

malesling.GIFMutant Papa to DD (12)hippie.gif and DS (2)babyf.gif, married to DHribbonrainbow.gif
If it looks like I'm trying to pick a fight... I'm not, I'm rarely that obvious.hammer.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page